False Start

semi-auto

I've not been out for a long, long time. The rape on the farm simply hasn't taken, so there's not been much about. Came past the farm yard late yesterday afternoon and spotted the forklift with what I thought was a bag of seed dangling from the forks. Ah, thought I - obviously drilling. Got home, packed the car, got the dead birds out of the freezer and promised the Labrador a good day out. Turned up this morning, bright and early only to find that they weren't seed bags at all. They were fertiliser bags. Absolutely gutted! Got home, looked for next door's cat to kick (unsuccessfully), unpacked the car and tried to mollify the seriously ****** off Labrador. However, the one thing about pigeon shooting is that you have to be an optimist and I tried to take some consolation from the fact that at least I had the drilling still to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see I'm not the only one with "dodgy" eye sight. Made me laugh though; great humor. Had minor success with my newly purchased Hushpower Pedretti single 20 bore a couple saturdays ago. Turned up at a friends, where there is a couple acres of scrub and 15 foot trees, around which was a newly cultivated field. Had a nice go at some corvids and the odd woody. Only lasted and hour or so, but a nice Brucey Bonus