Help to pay 83-year-old Kenneth Hugill's legal fees

Oxfordshooter

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did read an article about farmers in Lincolnshire taking matters into their own hands due to the inability of the police to effectively deal with things. The police have a near impossible job to do but they and the legal system have to uphold the law as it stands. Until the law changes there will be many more cases like this, in fact if you google (other search engines are available) cases of defence with any weapons or none you will find a large number of cases and many where people end up in jail. Unfortunately for most people the natural and uncontrollable physiological response of adrenalin takes over. It could happen to any one of us and I'm not talking about it involving your gun.

I've made a donation and will doubtless do so in other cases until the law changes.

Which takes us nicely to the outrage of 9 billion in foreign aid, while bonafide citizens in this country, cant have a decent state defence, I had no idea it was this serious, I thought a legal bill was only for for civil cases, libel etc.

But of course, silly me, I forgot the 9 billion is really for trade reasons.

Edited by wandringstar

Which takes us nicely to the outrage of 9 billion in foreign aid, while bonafide citizens in this country, cant have a decent state defence, I had no idea it was this serious, I thought a legal bill was only for for civil cases, libel etc.

I thought you wanted to spend that money on the NHS? Or housing the homeless? Or was it on social care?

As with lots of things, there's only so much money and we can't fund everything. That money gets spent for a reason.

none of those things, they get enough, I just feel that someones genuine defence in this country, is worth more than improving toilets in indian schools, its not like he was a serial offender. Maybe it could be allocated to people who have led a clean life like he had, oh no, that would upset the do-gooders.

just thinking out loud really............. :good:

I thought you wanted to spend that money on the NHS? Or housing the homeless? Or was it on social care?

As with lots of things, there's only so much money and we can't fund everything. That money gets spent for a reason.

none of those things, they get enough, I just feel that someones genuine defence in this country, is worth more than improving toilets in indian schools, its not like he was a serial offender. Maybe it could be allocated to people who have led a clean life like he had, oh no, that would upset the do-gooders.

just thinking out loud really............. :good:

Don't take this thread off topic, its an important enough issue without leaping off on spurious tangents.

Hopefully the BASC man can confirm, but I think I am correct in saying that unlike any other court case where the innocent can recover their costs against the guilty for firearms related law their is a law? That stops you recovering your costs against the guilty party.

This even applies if you had you guns taken away by the police and then appeal to the court if you win you have to pay all parties costs.

Think it was done try and ensure only the very rich could in practice appeal. Hence insurance like th shooting organisations offer.

Interesting that 'celebrity' lawyer Nick Freeman has started the fundraising page.

It's Nick Freeman who was Kenneth Hughill's solicitor on the case. In effect he's set up a fundraising page to cover his fees!!

I'd be highly suspicious that Freeman would have taken the case without ascertaining beforehand whether his client could afford his services. It all seems a bit publicity driven to me.

For that reason, I shan't be donating.

The farmer was not represented by Nick Freeman, nor does he know him. Mr Freeman was angered by the injustice and set up the donation page to assist farmer Hugill and started off the fund by donating £1000 himself, please get your facts straight. The farmer was intending to take a loan out to pay his cost which would have taken him years to pay back. from Auntie,..

:no:

The farmer was not represented by Nick Freeman, nor does he know him. Mr Freeman was angered by the injustice and set up the donation page to assist farmer Hugill and started off the fund by donating £1000 himself, please get your facts straight. The farmer was intending to take a loan out to pay his cost which would have taken him years to pay back. from Auntie,..

Thanks for putting things right Auntie, no doubt poontang will be making a swift donation now.

Guest stevo

Well said.

You beat me to it. As has already said if you want to donate great. If you don't that's fine but please stop the conspiracy theory's and whinging.

As the youngsters say 'fetch the Savlon, that's a sick burn right there'.

In the shooting community we know how tougher time our farmers have looking out for their land, their live stock and themselves. Most are isolated (unsurprisingly in the countryside) and with little or no support from an over stretched police force.

I just read a story about 2 home invasion burglars from down the road who poured 2 boiling kettles over 2 old people and tried to cut one of their ears off in the process of forcing them to hand over valuables.

Following on, an elderly farmer investigating a noise outside at 2 am? Well, the point is that he shouldn't have been prosecuted.

I don't want to derail so a yes/no fine - but if you are a member of BASC etc would they have fought the case on his behalf?

Or do they take more open/shut cases?

Genuine enquiry - hopefully not a can of worms!

For criminal prosecution defence BASC insurance will only cover you for firearm possession offences which are listed in the policy. In this case he was charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm, the firearm was only the means to achieve it. So no they would not have covered it.

Regarding any possible certificate revocation defence, they would not have covered him if he was convicted however, seeing as he wasn’t they can’t use that get out. The only sticking point is the prospects that the insured person will make a successful appeal or defence of an appeal, must be at least 51%. Seeing as the insurance company decide what 51% actually is I wouldn’t hold out much hope of them paying.

Some posts have been removed.

If you want to post on insurance/legal/BASC/ or any other matter not connected with raising money for this chap, please start another thread, or go back to the original one regarding the incident.

If you are not making a donation, you do not have to post to say so.

Nick Freeman may be just doing this for publicity. But it is the right thing to do. :)

A grand aint to be sneezed at, I actually think its a sincere move from him, he is not exactly in need of work, and if it was a marketing exercise, then why not? If it has a positive knock-on then that's a winner in my book.

Quite a lot of solicitors do work for certain people, and don't charge, they just don't brag about it, how many plumbers do the same?