Spring drillings are just around the corner.

JDog

Update

Yesterday at 8:00 I went to watch two day old drillings. I watched for an hour and never saw a pigeon. The same exercise was repeated at 11:00 and 14:00 with the same results. There is a lot of seed on top so I cannot fathom it.

The odd bits of overspill I've seen on barley drillings round here all seem to have a red dressing on the seed,,,and like you ,,no takers at all.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully I have now shot a few on drillings, all barley drillings and the seed all had been dressed. The pigeons which came to the decoys later in the sessions were full of the same seed.

Not that I have seen any peas being drilled yet but peas too are dressed and often have a pinkish coating. Beans I am not sure about.

Thankfully I have now shot a few on drillings, all barley drillings and the seed all had been dressed. The pigeons which came to the decoys later in the sessions were full of the same seed.

Not that I have seen any peas being drilled yet but peas too are dressed and often have a pinkish coating. Beans I am not sure about.

years ago the "red dressing" was mecuric oxide................yaugh.. :no:

Shot a field of beans on Saturday, there was no coating on them, the ground was hanging quite wet so didn't go to mad with the drill leaving quite a few on top. Pigeons wanted to be there. Picked up 60 in four hours. Probably could of stuck it another hour or so for another handful but carrying them off the field with kit was enough.

Shot some spring barley last Friday afternoon after farmer complained of the crows hitting the field. Had a reccy and saw mainly crows on the field but a few pigeons around so I set up with 4 full bodied crow decoys and 8 half-shell pigeons. Crows were slow to come into range but once I had a few down and out in the pattern the more crows came in range. Finished with 36 picked. Interesting to note was that not one pigeon was decoyed. I had a flapper ready to put a bird on but only had one come in range, high overhead, and missed. Pigeons were moving amongst the oaks and nieghboring small woods, but none came near. Maybe once I had a bird on the flapper they may have decoyed? Assume the birds were full and were coming back to these woods to digest ... so not interested in decoying.

First peas drilled on Monday ..... never seen big numbers hit spring drillings round here, but will keep an eye and continue to live in hope.

iv just got 2 fields of spring barley gone in today, will give it try saturday,

Got 2 fields drilled Thursday been there this morning for a look and some good numbers starting to find it now so will have a good day tomorrow hoprfully if birds play ball, light winds and sunny not ideal conditions but still have a go

Went out on Friday on sown peas. Came away with 15, a mix of crows and pigeons. Used 3 full bodied crow deeks as sentry's and a dozen flock shells, crows came in well, though some were not interested in our position. As for pigeons, we had 12 shell, 3 full body, 2 dead woodies from the freezer and a dead one on the flapper. Some pigeons decoyed from way up high, like I've never seen before and our net only hide was not that brilliant, with no natural foliage to blend us in. We should/could have had more, but I was giving my youngest son a go with the Pedretti 20 gauge hiushpower. It was new to him and he's only shot twice before. He had 2 excellent head shots on pigeons, but the tough crows proved difficult and as is often the way, looked easy and slow, but were mostly anything but. Hoping that as the plants poke out of the ground, there could be some good shooting in the next week.

Farmers have done this to there fields , is there a reason why they mark the field out like in the picture , why don't they just start at one end

If your post refers to the picture with my initial post it can tell you that the farmer in question had simply cultivated out the tram lines from previous operations. He subsequently started drilling from one end of the field.

Number 3 son and myself got a mixed bag of crows and pigeons (15 in all) last friday morning, on fresh drilled oil seed rape. It was a huge field, with lots of seagulls about, but with 3 full body, 1 flapper, a couple of freezer pigeons and 12 half shells, most birds came in well. We also had 12 half shell crows and 3 full body sentries (the two patterns about 30 yards apart) It was a nice few hours and yes the count could have should have been more, but being out in the early morning, away from the stresses of work was more than enough.

Mossy835. Just noticed you're from Taunton; my old shooting ground. I was brought up just outside Taunton (Curland and Staple Fitzpaine) Had hundreds of acres to shoot on when I lived there, way back in the 60s and 70s. Great days. Still have my mum in Staple and get the once a year shoot on Staple Farm. Love the area.

hello, a 100 acre field of beans has just been finished last sunday, i cannot watch every day but on tuesday a few blackies but no pigeon, not having shot over beans how likely to get any now or when there is young shoots? would there be chance for a few weeks ? large woods are within a mile or 2. cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

hello, a 100 acre field of beans has just been finished last sunday, i cannot watch every day but on tuesday a few blackies but no pigeon, not having shot over beans how likely to get any now or when there is young shoots? would there be chance for a few weeks ? large woods are within a mile or 2. cheers

Have a look to see if there are beans on the surface. If not then it is unlikely that many pigeons will use the field.