The Day I Was Dreading .

marsh man

Over the last few weeks the mobility of my old dog has been getting worse on a weekly basis , about a month ago he could still jump up in the back of my motor , then it got to a stage where he couldn't make it from a standing position . I got over this by putting a couple of short deals up to the back so he could walk up with no problems ,when we got up to the river I reversed up to the embankment so he could walk straight up to the bank without jumping to the floor first .

This was fine until one day last week when the bank was wet he slid down and I then knew his time was running out . I have read a few threads in the past by members who have had to make that decision when the dogs time is getting close and I have always said not to let the dog linger on any longer than nessasary , but I am sorry to say I didn't practise what I preached and truthfully speaking I should have been brave and took him to the vets last week.

Anyway , I rang the vet today and asked when would be the best time to take him in , we agreed on 11.30

and up till then I wasn't to bad , George had been out for a run , had his breakfast and was now sound asleep , it started to get me when I put his lead on for the last time and walked him up the deals to make the final drive to the dreaded vets .

I did ask if they could do the deeds in the back of my car as I couldn't lift him and I didn't want him to jump out , this they said they couldn't do but not to worry three of the vets came out and put him in a canvas sheet with handles on , I must say the vet was very understanding and asked me if I wanted to be there when the procedure is taking place , at this time I was losing it completely but there was no way I was going outside and as the needle was going in his leg his big Brown eyes was looking at me as his head went over and his time was on this earth was finally over.

The vets gave me a few minutes to regain my composure and then gave me a hand to put him back in my motor as I had arranged to take him on the estate and lay him to rest on the parkland facing the hall , the chap who took over my job got one of the blokes to use the mini digger and to dig a hole under a Oak tree surrounded by Daffodils , a fitting place for my best friend who was a big part of my life over the last 10 years. R I P George.

pinkfootandgeorge005_zpsa0b4ac6d.jpg

Marsh,

I have a black lab-my first gun dog and is like a shadow around me.

you've penned everything I know I'll feel with him when the dark day comes.

lovely sentiment that the lad is being laid to rest in a lovely spot.

remember him at his best.

atb

f.

Not pleasant. I lost mine last August and it was an awful day with the kids and me all in bits in the vets. Awful awful day.

You have my sympathies, but as Cranfield says, you can take comfort in the grand life he must have had. I often think that gun dogs and other dogs of shooters must have the best lives of any dogs; I know mine did.

My thoughts are with you at what must seem like an awful time.

Take comfort in knowing your friend and partner had a good life with you.

And when the time came, You saw him alright and didn't let him down.

I hope your pain soon dulls, and becomes lots of happy memories :)

Over the last few weeks the mobility of my old dog has been getting worse on a weekly basis , about a month ago he could still jump up in the back of my motor , then it got to a stage where he couldn't make it from a standing position . I got over this by putting a couple of short deals up to the back so he could walk up with no problems ,when we got up to the river I reversed up to the embankment so he could walk straight up to the bank without jumping to the floor first .

This was fine until one day last week when the bank was wet he slid down and I then knew his time was running out . I have read a few threads in the past by members who have had to make that decision when the dogs time is getting close and I have always said not to let the dog linger on any longer than nessasary , but I am sorry to say I didn't practise what I preached and truthfully speaking I should have been brave and took him to the vets last week.

Anyway , I rang the vet today and asked when would be the best time to take him in , we agreed on 11.30

and up till then I wasn't to bad , George had been out for a run , had his breakfast and was now sound asleep , it started to get me when I put his lead on for the last time and walked him up the deals to make the final drive to the dreaded vets .

I did ask if they could do the deeds in the back of my car as I couldn't lift him and I didn't want him to jump out , this they said they couldn't do but not to worry three of the vets came out and put him in a canvas sheet with handles on , I must say the vet was very understanding and asked me if I wanted to be there when the procedure is taking place , at this time I was losing it completely but there was no way I was going outside and as the needle was going in his leg his big Brown eyes was looking at me as his head went over and his time was on this earth was finally over.

The vets gave me a few minutes to regain my composure and then gave me a hand to put him back in my motor as I had arranged to take him on the estate and lay him to rest on the parkland facing the hall , the chap who took over my job got one of the blokes to use the mini digger and to dig a hole under a Oak tree surrounded by Daffodils , a fitting place for my best friend who was a big part of my life over the last 10 years. R I P George.

pinkfootandgeorge005_zpsa0b4ac6d.jpg

Through Watery eyes and lump in my throat sorry to hear your sad news John

Feel for you, hard as they give us such great memories and adventures.

Hard to do but I feel it is our duty to be there right at the end, good of you very hard to do but you will feel glad you were after. And nice to know they have a good resting place,

It's always sad when your best friend has to go i was in the same situation only a few weeks ago still look for him and most things are a constant reminder. You did the kindest thing even though you sometimes you wonder. Take heart that you had all the good time's together

MANY THANKS for all the kind and heart felt replies , really appreciated and quite humberling , it just goes to show what lovely people there are on this forum , total strangers who are willing to share the highs and lows with other like minded people . and long may it continue .

Regards John