The Day I Was Dreading .

marsh man

Lost my Springer 'Aspen' 1996,never been able to face getting another dog.Had him cremated at the time and he's under a fairly mature cherry tree at the top of the garden now.Probably ond of the saddest days of my life ,the day I held him while the Vet put him to rest.

Hi Marsh Man,

I was terribly moved by your account of George's passing and my heart goes out to you. I have been there a number of times and it never gets easier. It is the one thing that all dog owners know they will have to face at some time or another. I guess that those of us who work the dogs are in many ways closer, having shared so many memories with them - good and bad. There is never a right time to make that dreadful decision, but you clearly did the right thing.

THANKS again to all you kind people , I dare say the majority of members are dog owners themselves and like ( semi- auto ) one of the above members were saying , it is something all dog owners will have to face at some time or another , very true , and I am now on my sixth Labrador so I have had to face up to it five times and believe you me it don't get any easier , in fact if anything it gets harder , in some respects with having a two year old puppy to take over from the old one do make it slightly easier as I can now devote all my time with the young one , although since losing his stable mate he cant workout where he has gone and like me had been a bit subdued for the first couple of days but I am glad to say things are started to get back to normal.

All the best M M

Marshman, I feel for you. I have been through it seven times and it never gets any easier. Great that you could lay him somewhere where you can say 'hello' every time you pass. Three of my old dogs are buried in my orchard and wood and I have great memories every time I pass those places. I am that age where I feel I cannot take on another, but if you are able then go out and replace George with a new puppy.

They just do not live long enough.

Marsh man I am sorry to hear about your loss,instantly chokes me up .... as many have said I am sure George had a good innings.. its the hardest thing in owning a dog and many times i have said I'm not getting another because of it,.. but they bring you so much joy and happiness.. I'm pleased you have another to focus on and make you smile when your out..

all the best

Terry

I am so sorry to hear of your loss John. Our dogs have a habit of finding their ways into or hearts and when they go the loss is very hard. Gun dogs are special as they share our love of fowling and shooting, they just live for the days we share with them on the marsh and over the years we develop a bond with them that is so much more intense than the feelings you get for a mere pet. 8 years ago I lost my golden retriever "Penny" and I still miss her like hell. Now my little Meg is getting towards the end of her days . With luck we will manage a year, maybe two before the fate full day comes , but I would give anything to turn the clock back to that bundle of trouble came into my life one hot August afternoon. 11 years ago she never looked like she was going to make the grade , but now she has more than exceeded my expectations for her. Now like you I have a new dog "Pip" , like Meg has looked like she will never make a good gundog , but just like Meg at this stage Pip is showing signs of getting her act togeather.

Rest in peace George.

Edited by anser2

• 4 weeks later...

Tears in the eyes reading that. So sad. Feel for you man. I lost my dog a couple years back; she wasn't a gun dog but was so intelligent and fitted in with everythinmg we did as a family or on a one to one with any of us. We took her to France camping many times, sight seeing around Paris....never a bit of trouble. Miss her every day. Resisted getting another so far, as I know I struggle to find another so great. So again, really feel for you and my deepest condolences

I feel your pain. I had to take my dog Sunny on his last journey yesterday. I know in my heart of hearts it was his time and the "right" thing to do but I still fell dreadful about doing it.

I'm trying to take comfort from the many happy memories we shared. Sad times.

Really sorry to hear about your dog Sunny final journey , as you say , Sad times , but time is a great healer and the memories you have will last for ever .

R I P Sunny.

Thank you all for the kind words. Apologies to Marsh Man for hijacking the post.

Sorry for your loss. Sad times. Remember the good ones!

Condolences, you did the right and brave thing being with him until the end.

Aled

Really sorry to hear about your dog Sunny final journey , as you say , Sad times , but time is a great healer and the memories you have will last for ever .

R I P Sunny.

Sad news that fella, it's Shame when they come to the end.... When my old dog got to the end, I wasn't man enough to take him into the vets, I got to the door than had to ring my mate to come and take him in for me,

• 2 weeks later...