Ruining cars with stupid wheels

HDAV

Can anyone explain the current trend for fitting huge tyres on deep dish wheels that rub the arches and have suspension angles from a gcse maths problem?

Mostly vw group cars but seen all sorts fiestas, mx5s (eunos imports), even a Yaris sporting these things....

Think I know what you mean,they usually have steel banded wheels with stretched tyres on. We have a couple of lupos driving around that sound simular. Same crowd sticker bomb parts of there cars and rust the bonnet.

Just something different i suppose.

The mad angle comes from to short of springs with no camber adjustment, I used to run a vw t25 witch was basically on the Bump stops,I loved it.

The old bmw's used to do it.

Edited by Albert 888

If they rub or make contact with the body work you can get done.What amazes me is lowered cars, what happens if you crash you've messed around with the ride height? For example on a front impact with another vehicle could you effectively make the car you hit ride up onto your bonnet,when the manufactures height would poss stop that from happening.

Edited by Davyo

Rothfink seems to be the label they all sport, the unpainted look well its natural I guess there's a Passat estate that has been sanded all over and almost has a Damascus steel look to it now, never see the driver smiling or even looking slightly happy tho...... this doesn't appear to be "lowering" to improve performance

Air suspension is cheating Albert ......

Edited by HDAV

It's called the 'stance' scene......lots of young lads seem to love it in all makes and models now too.

I'm into motorsport and track days so my race car is lowersd but to optimise handling not look daft like theirs do! The silly amounts of camber must totally ruin ride/handling but they like the looks when parked up and at shows etc. Whatever floats your boat I guess!

It's called the 'JDM' scene. I dropped and lowered my old focus st and that handled like it was on rails. I understand the old bmws doing it or the 240sx's but a yaris? :lol: not sure on the camber bit though?? :S

JDM is ghetto speak for imported japaneeeze cars coz it sounds cool, it just stands for japanese domestic market!

We were staying a a campsite last wek with a vw van with massive wheels and mega skinny tyres somehow staying on the rims, you can bet they were not van load rated tyres and will no doubt blow the bead or explode pretty soon.

It's called the 'stance' scene......lots of young lads seem to love it in all makes and models now too.

I'm into motorsport and track days so my race car is lowersd but to optimise handling not look daft like theirs do! The silly amounts of camber must totally ruin ride/handling but they like the looks when parked up and at shows etc. Whatever floats your boat I guess!

I get lowered stiffened suspension for performance over comfort but how does ruining the geometry enhance anything? It's like wearing clown shoes surely?

I did. Most don't. Adrian flux are best for modified vw's.

Currently run a rangerover p38,I can lower it with the lockout button if I wish to do so now,or the eas program.

Cheers Albert, in the process of getting Insurance for my VW Polo MK2 Saloon.

And yes, it is very low, it has wide Lotus Wheels (Because nobody else has them and they're Beautiful)

But the modifications I have carried out are all to do with the drive, I've fitted Coilover suspension, Poly bushes, Front Subframe.

Insurance company will be notified of all mods... So to answer your question.

We Do all of this stuff to our cars because we enjoy it. Better than sitting infront of the TV or there's nothing about.

BTW I do have a 4x4 shoot Vehicle too.... Quite nice, having cars that are min 20 year old :)

You don't have to change the look of a car to modify it.My wife had her new Fiesta eco boost modified after she put a few thousand miles on it.Ford approved Mountune upgraded the engine/turbo,suspension (same ride height) brakes and exhaust( not load )

Stand it beside another Titanium X and you'd find it hard to tell the difference unless you looked closely at the front bottom grill where an intercooler rad is fitted.Rear discs on the back replacing the stock drums and a tailpipe that differs from stock.

She wanted a ST Fiesta but wanted 5 doors ( can get them in America ) so bought a Titanium X with a planned Mountune modification.Now they are going to launch the new 2017 ST with 5 doors, I'm going to get her Mountune.

Edited by Davyo