Mayweather vs McGregor?

Danger-Mouse

It's far from set but it's looking increasingly likely that this crossover fight may happen.

If it does then it's a no lose situation for Conor. He'll make a huge pay day and if he loses vs Floyd it will be the expected result. However, should Conor win then his legendary status in fighting is assured.

Obviously Conor winning would be a huge ask but then again we've learnt from his past fights he has a habit of making the unexpected happen. Conor will always have a punchers chance. That left hand of his is deadly and even with heavier gloves it's still going to be a formidable weapon.

Floyd will make a huge amount of money and potentially beat Marciano's unbeaten winning streak. However it's a risky proposition for both him and for pro boxing. A loss would ruin his record and potentially destroy boxing. Just imagine the greatest being beaten by a guy in his first pro boxing fight!

Floyd will of course be a huge favourite with his skill and experience. However he's not getting any younger and he doesn't seem to possess much KO power these days, indeed one commentator ventured that it has been 17 years since Floyd flattened anyone with a single punch.

So what are your thoughts? Will it happen? Can Conor win? Should Floyd even take this fight?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't decide if its just hype for the publicity, couldn't imagine it being a proper sanctioned fight to count for the record and yes MW has the experience but so did Aldo, I was really looking forward to that fight and it never even got going!

As DM says its no brainer for Conner but apart from more money I don't see how it benefits Mayweather

Yep' I would have to agree that it would be a farce of a fight. I would be in agreement with those who say that they are both 'In on it' and are both looking to Cash in.

Like McGregor even brings up his name in Press Conference's that have nothing to do with Mayweather and all to well knowing it gets all the Fan boy's and American 'Plastic Paddy's' in a frenzy.

Like what would this prove.? It can only be an Exhibition fight between an MMA fighter vs one of the best Boxer's of the modern era which will be fought using the ' Marcus of Queensbury Rules' which would result in McGregor getting humiliated. Would he care.? I don't think he would as long as he got the big fat paycheck. McGregor is Smart and knows he could probably retire if this fight did happen to take place and he would still have many other options outside of Fighting.

I am not a Mayweather fan as although he Fought the best fighters he picked where and when he did and kept his unblemished record 'Similar to Joe Calzaghe in a sense' and deprived the Boxing world of one of the most anticipated fights ever until he knew he could win it.

To summarize - AS a Boxing Fan and UFC Fan, I personally would have no interest in this fight. Im not interested in seeing Mayweather Cherry picking a fight to beat a record and would rather Conor McGregor stick to MMA and fight the best Guy's in current division ie Ferguson,Khabib, Dos Anjos ect..!

Well Danger-Mouse, Did you watch McGregor walk Michael Conlan into the ring last night .? If not' you can check it out on Ireland MMA on Youtube.

The build up and entrance was something else and the place was bouncing. The fight didn't quite live up to the build up with Conlan stopping a very poor opponent in the 3rd and not really shining.

Will be watching Golovkin Vs Jacob's this morning in a few hours time and I expect the usual Golovkin stoppage. Jacob's is being touted as a big Puncher and finisher but I personally don't think he has the power to trouble Triple G.! Hopefully Jacob's can go and few rounds and test Golovkin and at least he is a full blown MW who can box a bit but as I say I think GGG will wear him down and expect a stoppage.

Who knows' It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong !

Wow, what a super flyweight fight that was and Roman Gonzalez beat for the first time in his career.

A night of upsets.? Nah not were Golovkin is concerned.

Maybe just watched the fight of the year.

Both superb engines and to carry that cut for so long took a bit of doing from Choc.Great gig.

Maybe just watched the fight of the year.

Both superb engines and to carry that cut for so long took a bit of doing from Choc.Great gig.

Don't think it can get much better than that.

Going be an interesting last couple of rounds here.The G man has his work cut it here.Jacob's boxing very well.

That lad doesnt half speak some plum.

McGregor has a way of bending the universe???

Prefer people who talk tactics of how the fight can be won instead of claiming ***** like that as though he will get inside Mayweathers head.

lol.

Well you have a point but I don't think Luke is seriously suggesting Conor has magical powers, just that he has a habit of making the unexpected happen. The 13 second KO of Aldo which no one outside of McGregor's camp really believed would happen, or his absolute destruction of Eddie Alvarez being examples he (Luke) mentions.

You want to know how Conor can win? Easy . . . he clinches Mayweather, trips him, follows him down and lands 3 or 4 quick elbows before the referee can drag him off. Unfortunately that's not allowed under boxing rules and McGregor would be disqualified . . . but you'll have no doubt who won the fight.

Seriously though, as said in the video, Conor's best chance is in the early rounds, especially if Floyd decides to show off and make an example of Conor. If, and it's a big "if", Conor can land that left hand of his cleanly on Floyd's chin then you could have the upset of the century. Conor has an excellent fight IQ and he has 49 fights of Mayweather's to study and try and find an exploitable weakness. Admittedly many others have tried and failed, and most likely Conor will fail too, but with Conor there is always that possibility and that is why the video talks about him seemingly bending the universe to his will. On the opposite side Floyd will have no straight boxing fights of Conor's to study, Floyd can watch MMA fights but they're not the same thing and so will have to adapt round by round. Again a task that he is undoubtedly up to but nonetheless it's a very slight edge in Conor's favour. The other edges for Conor are his age and size and just maybe his mental game, he is very good at getting inside his opponent's head and causing them to make rash decisions. Again look at the Aldo fight. A guy who had been champion for 10 years was so rattled by the prefight build up that he rushed in, left an opening and as a result ended up losing his belt.

Then we have the two fights vs Nate Diaz. Nate is reckoned to be one of the best boxers in the UFC. He trains with Andre Ward, who has publicly said how good Nate is. Conor lit him up like a Christmas tree. Again you can't compare Nate to Floyd but nonetheless it gives you some idea just how good Conor is at striking.

As I've said all along it's highly unlikely Conor can win. But if the odds are right I might have a flutter. Sometimes the donkey sanctuary does win. :D

I can see the attraction of a wee flutter and as you say,anything can happen if the right dig lands.

Tend not to read too much in to the Aldo fight as too short but McGregor def rattled him pre fight for sure.As for Nate being one of the best boxers in the UFC,maybe one of the best punchers but he has no defence and stopping punches with his face isnt a good strategy,lol.

Be way better if they somehow managed to combine both sports but dont think Mayweather would entertain it.

I can see the attraction of a wee flutter and as you say,anything can happen if the right dig lands.

Tend not to read too much in to the Aldo fight as too short but McGregor def rattled him pre fight for sure.As for Nate being one of the best boxers in the UFC,maybe one of the best punchers but he has no defence and stopping punches with his face isnt a good strategy,lol.

Be way better if they somehow managed to combine both sports but dont think Mayweather would entertain it.

Well it's more likely the "left dig" that would win the fight for Conor. :lol:

I think you're under estimating Nate. Yes he will take a shot to land one but he is, or certainly has been, very good defensively in some of his fights. I've just watched his fight vs Michael Johnson and Nate was slipping punches and leaning back out of reach of shots with quite some skill and style. I will agree he takes too many but he rightly has a great deal of confidence in his chin.

On your last point there's no way Floyd is fighting any style other than straight boxing. He either has too much sense, or lacks the cojones to do so (pick your own answer). Even just allowing kicks and elbow strikes would be too much for him, throw in grappling too and the fight won't last a round. One other speculated idea was to allow lighter gloves but I can't see Floyd going for that either. From what I've heard his hands are a little delicate so he will prefer the protection of the heavier gloves. Plus lighter gloves would favour Conor's punching power and Floyd isn't going to give him any edges he doesn't have to.

The gloves will put Mc at a huge disadvantage and i dont think many realise how much difference it will make.

Mayweather has always had hand problems right enough and has made getting his way an art form in negotiations.

Not into MMA so shouldnt really be commenting on Nate or Aldo as havent seen enough to get a fair opinion but just see it as a mismatch but im always cynical anyway.

Money speaks at the end of the day but will be surprised if the fight happens.Would still pay for it.

Nate is definitely one of the best boxers I have seen in mma but its pretty much all jabs and light punches but he never stops throwing until he wants the fight on the ground.

Can't see anyway the fight that may never happen will be anything other than boxing, Randy fought someone years ago big coloured lad former boxer world champ, don't think he got out of the first round despite saying that with 4 ounze gloves he was likely to seriously hurt him,

I'll be watching along with everyone else if it does ever happen but still don't think it will, just gives all of us something to talk about

Yep agree, seem to remember an ankle trip and ground and pound possible submission??

Pretty much on the money. They circled a bit. Randy dived in and grabbed a leg taking Toney to the ground. Randy promptly moved into mount and started laying down a barrage of ground and pound before finishing the fight with some kind of choke in 3:19.

There was also the Royce Gracie vs Art Jimmerson fight in UFC 1. Most memorable simply because Jimmerson entered the Octagon wearing one boxing glove and leaving his other hand bare. The fight may have lasted a little longer than the Toney one but the result was largely the same with Royce taking Art down, sinking in a choke and Jimmerson tapping out. No shame there though. Royce made every opponent he faced tap out.

I haven't watched much lately once it went to being on pretty much every week it lost the appeal for me the quality just wasn't the same.

Fairly sure that was the great Randys only submission as well

Yeah they have a lot of events now and sometimes the quality does suffer. However even the smaller events can throw out some surprises. This was a fight from the London event, and a possible future challenger for Conor's lightweight belt. A very flashy fighter but it looks like he has some serious power in his strikes.