Mayweather vs McGregor?

Danger-Mouse

How can the other fights,where the number 2,3 or 4 rated boxer in the world at that weight are ordered to fight not be a farce,but one where Mayweather fights a total pro novice with a pro boxing record of 0 fight,0 wins,0 defeats and 0 KOS and blows out of his **** after a few rounds can be? ???

Er,ill let you use your imagination.

Thats all for me from this thread,not going over old ground again and again.

This.

It shows complete disrespect for the boxers who have to earn their fights. McGregor comes in with a huge mouth and nothing else, but gets a (potentially) £230 million payday for being completely outclassed. Two of the three judges gave him the first round - and nothing else.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Trump would have his oar somewhere.. :lol:

As far as I'm concerned if you do that your opponent should be allowed to rip some punches into your kidneys. But that's why Conor was correct in saying boxing isn't true fighting. Try pulling that stunt in an MMA fight and either your back is being taken or blows are raining in on you.

Haven't seen the full fight yet Neil, but the clip on Sky News shows Connor doing exactly that + a few head shots..

This.

It shows complete disrespect for the boxers who have to earn their fights. McGregor comes in with a huge mouth and nothing else, but gets a (potentially) £230 million payday for being completely outclassed. Two of the three judges gave him the first round - and nothing else.

I can concede that for a boxing fan McGregor stepping in to fight Mayweather is irritating and could be said to be farcical as Conor had no boxing record. However Conor doesn't just have a big mouth, he has a proven record in combat sports and has won multiple belts including 2 in the UFC.

Whatever your opinion of how the fight came about I think that it's Conor's performance that matters. Yes he lost but he fought pretty well, landed punches and even Mayweather acknowledged that Conor had fought better than he expected. From that point of view I don't see the fight as a farce.

Haven't seen the full fight yet Neil, but the clip on Sky News shows Connor doing exactly that + a few head shots..

lol, well yes he did land a few before the ref stepped in. For me though in boxing you are supposed to defend yourself at all times. If you turn your back you're not doing that so either the fight should be stopped or points deducted or the action should continue.

Haven't seen the fight yet but not surprised by what I've read, one of the lads from rugby is in Vegas just coincidence but he went the weigh in but watched the fight in a bar on the strip at the cost of 150 dollars!! Hope that was for him and his missus but not sure.

People are saying it was a farce but he said Vegas was bouncing with everyone well up for the fight, Conor does run his mouth but that sells tickets and he's set for life and got to round ten so I say well done.

I can concede that for a boxing fan McGregor stepping in to fight Mayweather is irritating and could be said to be farcical as Conor had no boxing record. However Conor doesn't just have a big mouth, he has a proven record in combat sports and has won multiple belts including 2 in the UFC.

Whatever your opinion of how the fight came about I think that it's Conor's performance that matters. Yes he lost but he fought pretty well, landed punches and even Mayweather acknowledged that Conor had fought better than he expected. From that point of view I don't see the fight as a farce.

Because plenty of boxers could have done that - boxers who have put the hard yards in to a sport they have a real passion for. They work day in, day out to earn the right to fight against the best. To get that chance, they are judged on their boxing record. In boxing terms, what has he got to bring to the table? 0 fights, 0 wins, but gets to fight Mayweather anyway.

Of course he's brilliantly talented - at MMA. But that shouldn't be counted. And I'm not sold on all this 'it's the performance' business. Looking at it, it's a fairly mediocre performance. one judge gave him 3 rounds the others only one. And this was against a man who's 40 years old, has been out of boxing for two years and only has a 54% knockout rate, but he didn't even make it to the end.

I'm not saying he's no good. I'm saying that he's an average boxer who has no business being granted a sanctioned chance to fight one of the greats.

Edited by chrisjpainter

I've just watched the fight. I am sure I heard one of McGregor's corner men say to him "use your face". Er what for? To stop the punches.

What was clear to me was that even if McGregor was landing punches they were not effective. Yet when Mayweather hit him you could see they had power behind them.

I've just watched the fight. I am sure I heard one of McGregor's corner men say to him "use your face". Er what for? To stop the punches.

What was clear to me was that even if McGregor was landing punches they were not effective. Yet when Mayweather hit him you could see they had power behind them.

mayweather has this ability to lean back just before a shot lands which takes a lot of the power out if it. Like a human suspension. He's the master at 'rolling with the punches'.

Farce at best - dangerous at worst. Punchers chance, yeah right - some of the best boxers in the world havent caught him flush how was mcgregor going to? even after a two year lay-off which had clearly affected his speed, agility, reflexes, ring IQ.

Roll on GGG vs Canelo - a proper match up

ermmm like this?

vlcsnap_2017_08_27_07h54m33s597.png

Irrespective of the outcome, that uppercut caught Floyd flush under the chin and snapped his head back.

Doesn't look like the cleanest or most accurate shot to me, even if it was, it evidently didn't stop him did it, this fight should never of happened, I'd be saying the same thing if Floyd was going to step in the octagon.

ermmm like this?

vlcsnap_2017_08_27_07h54m33s597.png

Irrespective of the outcome, that uppercut caught Floyd flush under the chin and snapped his head back.

Managing to land a punch on a 40 year old boxer that has not being in the ring for for years. :hmm: . Mayweather was far from his best and was never going to come out and try and knock out Mcgregor, he had a plan and it showed Mcgregor for the armature he is, he couldn't even manage to reach the fitness level of a 40 year old.

Doesn't look like the cleanest or most accurate shot to me, even if it was, it evidently didn't stop him did it, this fight should never of happened, I'd be saying the same thing if Floyd was going to step in the octagon.

vlcsnap_2017_08_29_20h05m13s631.png

vlcsnap_2017_08_29_20h01m16s575.png

vlcsnap_2017_08_29_20h02m34s463.png

vlcsnap_2017_08_29_20h01m53s278.png

Look again, or is that perhaps Floyd's natural expression?

Edited by Danger-Mouse

From what I read in the papers yesterday it was entertaining which is what people want, I agree that the fight shouldn't have taken place as a sanctioned fight it should have been an exhibition but Mayweather wanted that record, once again he chose a fighter he could beat and took a massive pay check doing so.

Probably half the people wanted Mayweather to shut Conor up and the other half wanted McGregor to get lucky and spark out Floyd.

Certainly didn't expect Conor to gas though against at 40 year old that's not good.

From what I read in the papers yesterday it was entertaining which is what people want, I agree that the fight shouldn't have taken place as a sanctioned fight it should have been an exhibition but Mayweather wanted that record, once again he chose a fighter he could beat and took a massive pay check doing so.

Probably half the people wanted Mayweather to shut Conor up and the other half wanted McGregor to get lucky and spark out Floyd.

Certainly didn't expect Conor to gas though against at 40 year old that's not good.

Just for interest,what record was it that he wanted?

I'm surprised that many think Mayweather will take him out early, given the fact that he gets big bucks for every TV Ad shown during the fight…….

Round 10 or 11 would be a bigger purse! :rolleyes:

Thats exactly as Mayweather wanted it……...

Two things surprised me regarding the fight

1) That McGregor didn't manage to hurt Mayweather at all. I thought he might land at least one punch that troubled him. I don't think he did.

2) That McGregor tired so dramatically. Yes boxing is hard but I thought he could have conditioned himself better.

As an aside I have never boxed but have done a fair bit of boxing fitness training and some sparring. I don't think there is a better workout!

1) That McGregor didn't manage to hurt Mayweather at all. I thought he might land at least one punch that troubled him. I don't think he did.

2) That McGregor tired so dramatically. Yes boxing is hard but I thought he could have conditioned himself better.

As an aside I have never boxed but have done a fair bit of boxing fitness training and some sparring. I don't think there is a better workout!

Bear in mind that the fight went ahead with about 3 months notice. That's not a lot of time to seriously improve your cardio for a style of fighting you're unused to. Pro boxers slowly build up through a series of fights starting at 3 rounds, then 6, then 10 before fighting 12 rounds in championship fights. Conor is traditionally a fast finisher in MMA, IIRC only Diaz has ever taken Conor to 5 rounds and Conor clearly flagged a little in that fight. Most boxers and boxing analysts have acknowledged that for Conor to do 10 rounds against Floyd was an impressive performance.

Interestingly quite a few boxing commentators have agreed that Conor won 3 or 4 of the early rounds and some even have Conor ahead on points at the start of round 9.

I've watched a boatload of interviews and pretty much every boxer I've heard comment has been impressed with Conor even if they all agree he should stick to MMA in the future.

What I liked was Conor's post fight interview. No complaints about the loss, just looking forward to what he could learn from his defeat and the areas he needed to improve upon.

Post fight thought, if MMA really wanted someone to beat Floyd they should have let Nate Diaz have a shot. His cardio is off the charts and it's difficult to imagine that Floyd could hurt him enough to stop him. I'm not saying Nate has the skills needed but he is one tough sob.

It all came down to mayweathers experience, Conors proved he can bang but his power was completely nullified by mayweathers style and movement, it's what he does, also the same reason McGregor tired so quick, when you fight someone so superior, you have to keep throwing to stay in the game and mayweather made him miss again and again, every time you miss a punch it takes more energy than when it connects to. As you'll know, there's a lot of skill in boxing and skill beats power alone every time. This is what a lot of the MMA fans don't seem to understand.

As you'll know, there's a lot of skill in boxing and skill beats power alone every time. This is what a lot of the MMA fans don't seem to understand.

Exactly...it's boxing not street fighting, no way Mcg was winning,

It would be the same if Floyd fought Mcg in the MMA ring, Mcg all the way.

Following his retirement from boxing, Mayorga decided to properly embark on a professional MMA career and faced Wesley Tiffer on May 3, 2013. He was kept on the ground but able to survive round 1. Tiffer continued to grapple with him on the ground until Mayorga landed a controversial and illegal knee to Tiffer's spine, that of which ultimately heard Tiffer screaming after the blow. Mayorga won via TKO after Tiffer didn't answer the bell for round 3. The Nicaraguan Mixed Martial Arts Commission declared the fight a No Contest for the illegal knee a week later on May 10, 2013 and also suspended Mayorga for 3 months for being 20 pounds over the contracted weight limit of 165-lbs.[5]

These MMA guys need to man up a wee bit and sort their fitness and stamina.

Cant take a bit of rough and tumble with an ex boxer.