Best dog general beating

Minerva

What breed would you all recommended for general beating and for a novice when it comes to training.

I have owned a ess before when hawking and loved working him however I had alot of help training him which is unavailable to me now, I was thinking about a cocker? Whats everyone's opinion? Sorry if it's been asked before can't really find anything using the search function

Almost any gundog breed could do it.

Everyone has there own personal ideas from hpr's to collies (seemingly). In my opinion ur really ur looking at a spaniel or lab

It all depends wot u call beating and wot sort of standard u want to get the dog too. Cn be quite a big difference between so called beating on a rough shoot (often letting dogs go at 1 end of a wood and never seen again till far end) compared to wot is expected beating on a bigger commercial shoot.where it might spend a lot of time walking to heel and just hunting in short spells

Round my way its prob 80-90% labs in the beating line and even on rough/walk 1/stand 1 shoots still labs out number other breeds.massively, until a few years ago was actually unusual to see anything but labs in beating line (at least on the shoots i went too)

Won't hunt as hard as a spaniel but easier to train and handle and will do a decent enough job to shoot over too.

Do u know the shoot u'll be beating on? Wot does the rest of the line use?

There is an awful lot to be said for having an ABL (Anonumous Black Lab) so when ur lab is causing choas in the flushing point u can blame it on someone elses :whistling:

Defo a springer for a first timer but as someone above has mentioned you get bonkers and quiet springers as well as cockers!

Labs are good but (ducks!) not as much fun to take beating. Also a problem I've encountered when taking Ed my lab beating when the spaniel girls are in season is that sometimes you come across a fence that you could easily lift a spaniel over or scoot under the fence - a lab not so much! And before anyone says they should jump it - that's all very well until you encounter a high fence with barbed wire strung along the top.... Some people are prepared to take the risk but I want my dog in one piece thanks very much and if it's cold and rainy I'm certainly not taking my coat off to lay over the fence lol

Edited by bigbird

Over the years I have run labs, GSPs and viszlas and personally I like the pointers because they hunt with their noses and freeze should they find something. The beating line can then ease forward and the bird/birds are flushed. On a walk and stand shoot I was a member of we sometimes had three pointing breeds in the line and the call "dog on point" echoed through the wood and wound the standing guns up because they knew a bird was about to exit the wood. Having said all of that a mixed bunch also works well as I used to run a lab and a GSP together ....poetry in motion ... with very little missed. The main thing with all breeds is getting them to sit or as with pointers, stand to the flush and wait for instructions. VERY important if you are beating on a big day shoot.

Thanks for all the info, I think I have made my mind up on a springer having owned one before :) it won't be until I can get involved in some regular beating I was just doing some research.

Id definitely be interested in going along to some gundog training days aswell if anybody can recommend someone in the Cheshire north Wales area

Id definitely be interested in going along to some gundog training days aswell if anybody can recommend someone in the Cheshire north Wales area

bigbird always receives glowing recommendations from members, she's in North Wales. If she can't help I'm sure she'd be happy to recommend someone.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/user/52556-bigbird/