An old JDog and new tricks.

JDog

This week I have been especially keen to get out. The drillings have not yet enticed the pigeons and the rape on the better land is now too high for them to get in and feed. Today I was out looking for four hours and never saw a pigeon.

The reason for my keenness was that I have just had my Miroku 7000 back from the gunsmith. This was a gun I bought to accompany me on my rare days at game and I just couldn't shoot with it even though the usual measurements would appear to match exactly those on my very old and now retired Miroku 6000 which I used to shoot well with. At first the gunsmith agreed with me that the two guns matched until he stood them up on end, stock down, and then it became clear that the toe, or is it the heel of the new gun was different in shape from the old one and that pushed the barrels way out. I asked him if he could take some off the new gun's stock to match the old one and that is what he did.

The new tricks part was to fit two half chokes to this multi choke gun and to use a cartridge which I have never used before which were Gamebore 7.5 shot in 29 grams which were on offer in the gunsmiths. I take in what the experts on this forum write but rarely try any of their recommendations. More fool me.

So after watching the racing I hared off to a roosting wood. The wind was 25 mph at least and conditions were perfect for flighting. Confidence has a large part to play in shooting and I was not confident at all that I could shoot this gun. Fifteen of the very best flighted/roosting pigeons for less than fifty shots may have changed my mind.

Edited by JDog

Don't tell david at Hull cartridge you have switched to Gamebore, he won't be happy!

Although i shot pretty badly last time i saw you i can tell you during the February roost shoot i shot some corking pigeons using 28gm 7.5 through full chokes and they were very dead.

I have long been a fan of 7.5 trap loads and not just because of cost. thirty years ago we shot birds at roost with Gamebore Hitech no8 they did the job well too.

Nice report that wind was perfect this afternoon.

Guest stevo

Yep me too. Switched over to using my trap loads full time a good while ago now. Anyway yrs ago all my pigeon shooting was with 30 grm 7s but for some reason they sort of disappeared but no one I knew at the time used big shot apart from wild fowlers . It was just the general rule of thumb the 7s where the accepted pigeon size. A couple of other reasons made my mind up. First and main reason for trying them was I knew exactly how the trap loads performed and knew there limits. I also spent a lot of time finding loads that patterned well and was confident with. If I could powder an edge on clay at 50 yards. Hitting a pigeon would be a walk in the park ( killing to my mind was a different thing as was worried about the hitting power of smaller shot ) switched over to imp mod and full and bingo. I would rather smaller shot in a nice controlled even dense pattern over big shot flying out all over the place giving big gappy patterns any day of the week.

This gone game Season I gave three game shooters I know two boxes of hull pro fibre ( these are hull pro one Trap carts 28 grms of 7.5 just in fibre wad ) and said for them to try and see what they thought normally these chaps will always buy there normal 32/36 grm of 5. Anyway all three have said they were that impressed there be buying some for next season. All thought they were the business on partridge and pheasant out to there normal shooting distances. All two did was up there choking and the other left his chokes be as he wanted to do a comparison to his usual shell. I remember him saying after the second drive he forgot about what he was putting in the gun. And had one of the best days in a long while.

Edited by stevo