We lost a shoot

madmax666

Hi all, as the heading says " we lost a shoot ". so this is my advice to new shooters out there. Even though my brother and I have been in the game for over 40yrs it all still goes wrong now and again and here's how. We acquired a nice permission last year for pigeons and crows and we had a good rapport with the farmer, we talked many times for ages before shooting discussed many topics other than farming you know a good chat.

But, this winter we had many weekends where we could not get to the farm because of the weather sub zero conditions and wild wind and rain, I had a month of problems having nosebleeds and unfortunately for me I had a full time job. A short time ago we managed to get to the farm and he stopped us dead , saying this isn't the shoot for you and you don't come often enough we didn't get into a row about it and left quietly , our excuses were not going to be heard even though we thought were quite valid.

I always phoned the day before to say we will be up and also mentioned if the weather is too much for safe shooting we will not get there.

Anyway, for those of you just starting out keep it in mind that to some farmers you are working for them when you make a verbal / written contract with them, and they will expect you to go the extra mile for them, even if live 50 miles from them.

So when you gain a permission discuss that maybe on occasions you may not be able to get to his farm and agree it together.

cheers

MM

Edited by madmax666

Sorry to hear that madmax. All good points.

I am lucky to have many perms. The down side is in season I 'have' to do duty shoots at the drop of a hat. Fortunately I am retired and have the time but even then when the planting is underway I may get three or four calls in a day.

Had similar and heard other lads having the problem, working terriers for keepers and expectations are way too high. Call out at 5am on a weekday, wanting you on the land but only time that suits them. Moaning if you damage the crops because the grounds waterlogged then moaning if you don't turn up in a thunderstorm...

The list goes on.