Bit of fishing in South Africa

docholiday

Shark fishing is progressing, Have bought a fishing rod, much different from the ones we use at home as you can imagine.14 foot and able to cast big baits and 7 onz into surf. main line is 80 lbs braid. Have been three times and all have involved either 2 mile hikes along gorgeous beaches or climbing down cliff faces to get to rocky ledges.It's a wonder I am still alive ! Haven't done anything like this since I was 18. So far have only caught small sand sharks but have hooked into a couple of big fish that have bent the rod double then just broken the line like it was cotton, God knows what they were, but the line was 80 Lbs breaking strain. Off again tomorrow to have another go.

On one of the beaches there is a shark net and by the carpark there is a box with “Shark attack treatment equipment” written on it. Wonder whats inside,…..

One of the rock ledges we were fishing after doing a good impersonation of Sherpa Tensing to get down to it was incredible the Indian Ocean was blue and clear and swimming along the cliff face was the odd seal. Next thing along comes a great white, and there were a few of them. That was not the scary bit, not far from us were a load of surfers bobbing around on their surf boards. Defiantly not for me !!!!

12.3-1.jpg

I'm off to South Carolina in a few weeks for our honeymoon we are hoping to be fishing for sharks most days, I have friend over there who had a boat or 2 at his disposal so we should get out most days !

I'll post some pics up of the results

Good luck landing one of those proper sharks