12g 28 gram shotgun cartridges

Guest cookoff013

Ok very good thanks for the replys. I use a over under so probably not problem for me as its a 3" chamber, just wondered if the power of the cartridges were in anyway different ie in range terms or whether they're might fall short of a two and three quater

this is absolute nonsense.

the powders will be different, so will the pressures, so will the wadding.

the reason the 3" was made to accomidate larger and larger sized payloads. the 3.5" was brought out to accomidate the 42g steel shot loads. the cip responded with the HP criterias on all those lengths of cartridge.

just forget range, just buy a quality cartridge, it will by far out perform you, any day of the week.

Guest cookoff013

What I can't understand - other than to save on tooling costs and simplicity of manufacture - is just who is going to shoot a 3" cartridge with an appropriate load through a gun weighing under 7lbs. Seems to me as though, again, the tail is wagging the dog.

whilst i totally agree, and the 3" was designed for turkey shooters, or those wanting to shoot stuff not readilly found in the UK, such as coyotes, and other stuff, buckshot is not unheard of either.

the 12gauge chassis of 800thou chamber is fascinating what can be done. this was extended to the 3.5" for the inclusion of nontoxic shot. but those using this are not using 7lb sxs guns.

infact 3" can wreck a straight stock sxs....

now as the chassis of 3" means there is a whole lot of options available. shooting nontox through a 3" is brilliant. there is enough room for large quantities of slow powder. there is also a ballance between alot of big shot vs enough powder in a 1200fps model.

i just completed a nontox assay with a 3" chassis.... same wad and different nontox. just to squeeze the extra oomph out of what i can. thats, steel, copper,itx,bismuth,lead,niceshot, meaning that any 3" gun can bue used to shoot that what nontoxic is designed for.

the reason the 3" was made to accomidate larger and larger sized payloads. the 3.5" was brought out to accomidate the 42g steel shot loads. the cip responded with the HP criterias on all those lengths of cartridge.

just forget range, just buy a quality cartridge, it will by far out perform you, any day of the week.

I am sure modern cartridges will out perform you too. Don't get what was nonsense I was only enquiring if it was any advantage buying a two and three quarter cartridge over a two and a half someone replied saying semi autos don't usually like two and a half. I was just stating I had a 3" over under I am aware that a 3" cartridge is alot different to a 28g two and three quarter.

Guest cookoff013

i`ll go through your statement......

there will be little difference between 2.5" 28gram and 2.75".

both have MAP pressures of 740bar and under. same statistics too. there is an anomalie because the minimum chamber length of 70mm is 70mm +2mm for sporting arms. thats why some guns can accept the

65mm /67mm shells.

if a shell is 2.5 and one 2.75 and they have the same speed and payload they essentially should have the same power and energy applied to get that. they would have the same range too. if they have the same shotsize.

what can and might happen is that the different shells could pattern differently depending on the wadding and powder.

the issues with the 70mm is most automatics and pumps are designed with a spring tension grip that grabs the rim, and pulls back the cartridge, this puts compression on spring gripping the hull to eject the hull identically every time. most automatics have some

way of compressing this, due to the length can vary the compression of spring. meaning weak or not strong ejection.

Seems an unecessarily aggressive reply to the OPs post. He was merely asking the question, not stating a fact. Maybe worth switching to decaff for a day or two there, CookOff... :)

Edited by mickster

Guest cookoff013

Seems an unecessarily aggressive reply to the OPs post. He was merely asking the question, not stating a fact. Maybe worth switching to decaff for a day or two there, CookOff... :)

aggressive? unessa?

maybe you should not prescribe beverages.

i`ll go through your statement......

there will be little difference between 2.5" 28gram and 2.75".

both have MAP pressures of 740bar and under. same statistics too. there is an anomalie because the minimum chamber length of 70mm is 70mm +2mm for sporting arms. thats why some guns can accept the

65mm /67mm shells.

if a shell is 2.5 and one 2.75 and they have the same speed and payload they essentially should have the same power and energy applied to get that. they would have the same range too. if they have the same shotsize.

what can and might happen is that the different shells could pattern differently depending on the wadding and powder.

the issues with the 70mm is most automatics and pumps are designed with a spring tension grip that grabs the rim, and pulls back the cartridge, this puts compression on spring gripping the hull to eject the hull identically every time. most automatics have some

way of compressing this, due to the length can vary the compression of spring. meaning weak or not strong ejection.

Ok thanks for the reply I was using some hull comp x 7.5 28g and eley Olympic blues and the comp x had a softer feel over the eley less recoil is probably better for accuracy. Have a good evening 👍