Bisley pay-as-u-go...

buze

Planning a visit at some point so let me know how it goes.

Afaik it's pay and play so I would presume you can just turn up and shoot. They have a ridiculous number of stands so I would presume they will have a nice mix of targets. Not cheap though, I think the last time I looked it was about 46p per bird.

It's a fantastic ground i used to live in Woking so went there very regularly. The skeet and DTL layouts are superb but it used to get really busy at weekends. AGL is always good I was there today for a quick 50 inbetween meetings but the access road is being resurfaced so there's a long diversion!

It's a fantastic ground i used to live in Woking so went there very regularly. The skeet and DTL layouts are superb but it used to get really busy at weekends. AGL is always good I was there today for a quick 50 inbetween meetings but the access road is being resurfaced so there's a long diversion!

Oh? You mean the track to there, or the road from the M25? We love AGL, the grouse stand is a heap of fun, but they don't have "a lot" of stations. Is Bisley a lot better? I always read the 'number of stands' from shooting ground with a bit of salt. E.J Churchill claims 125 or something ridiculous, while the /real/ number of stands from a caddied round perspective is more like ~15 or so. Okay, SOME stands of 2, some stands have 5 traps but still...

We are at burnham on the M4/M40, so AGL and Bisley are more or less equidistant -- when you guys mention 'a lot of people on WE' does it means queuing a lot? You rarely queue at AGL -- I mean, perhaps you'll get one or two (max) group before you, but it's usually okay..

Edit: well perhaps EJ has a bit more than this, I tried counting in my head and I missed at least 2 already. *still* won't reach 125 tho, by far

Edited by buze

Oh? You mean the track to there, or the road from the M25?

The track where you come off the main A road. They seem to be redoing all the small and massive holes in the side of the road, but the access is only for housing when I went yesterday.

The track where you come off the main A road. They seem to be redoing all the small and massive holes in the side of the road, but the access is only for housing when I went yesterday.

Yep the track, AGL is my favourite ground i don't think it's limited by the number of stands as they

are all challenging.

Did you go to bisley how was it?

Edited by Wingman

Pity I missed this post, maybe you would have liked to visit the A1 and to shoot some Helice.

Always nice to do something you have not done before.

I will let you know when the next practice is on and the next Saturday shoot day.

Regards

Terry

Edit

Next Helice ZZ Saturday shoot will be Saturday April 1st, I think it is an England selection shoot, the training have ago day is normally on the Wednesday before, so 29th March but I will confirm this

Edited by bakerboy

@bakerboy, thanks, that sounds like fun! How did it go?

@sian thanks for the heads up, but we're booked to go to Hickenham farm shoot tomorrow (it's literally 5 minutes from our house!) -- it's a much smaller shoot (60 birds) but it's very 'social' -- too bad as the WLSG sounds pretty awesome, I've never even /seen/ the extent of the shooting ground there...

Ultimately we went to bisley, and yes we were unlucky as apparently most fo the nice stands were locked up for tuition. So there were only 7 of them open, and not /terribly/ exciting ones. But the setup was nice I suppose -- however it seems on week-end there's /always/ tuition so it's unlikely we'll go back any time soon to shoot these 7 stands unfortunately. However we did meet a very nice couple there, similar 'newbies' status, had a surprisingly nice coffee and headed off. Cruised all the way back the long way via ascot, windsor great park (stopped at the farm shop to pick some goodies) so overall, it was a good little trip.

Then I tossed the hauch of red deer from the great park I picked at the farm shop on the BBQ and that rounded up a pretty nice day!

During the rifle shooting season BSG can't use their shooting school due danger areas for the weekend shoots so leasson move to long Siberia aka pay and play. It used to full close p&p but they opened some limited stands a few years ago. The club shoot is ok but generally I avoid it if their teaching

@sian thanks for the heads up, but we're booked to go to Hickenham farm shoot tomorrow (it's literally 5 minutes from our house!) -- it's a much smaller shoot (60 birds) but it's very 'social' -- too bad as the WLSG sounds pretty awesome, I've never even /seen/ the extent of the shooting ground there...

Ultimately we went to bisley, and yes we were unlucky as apparently most fo the nice stands were locked up for tuition. So there were only 7 of them open, and not /terribly/ exciting ones. But the setup was nice I suppose -- however it seems on week-end there's /always/ tuition so it's unlikely we'll go back any time soon to shoot these 7 stands unfortunately. However we did meet a very nice couple there, similar 'newbies' status, had a surprisingly nice coffee and headed off. Cruised all the way back the long way via ascot, windsor great park (stopped at the farm shop to pick some goodies) so overall, it was a good little trip.

Then I tossed the hauch of red deer from the great park I picked at the farm shop on the BBQ and that rounded up a pretty nice day!

40 Helice shooters turned up for the Hampshire Championship, top score was 18 x 21 if difficult conditions, the wind had a number an effect on a number of targets, seeing them hit but travel out of the fall zone and therefore not count.

There was some great shooting particulars by the younger Helice shooters

Helice

Practice on Wednesday 29th 10.00 until 2.00 just turn up.

Competition 1st April must be a CPSA member and stay until the end of the competition. Must pre book