Basic questions on how to shoot OSR.

nagantino

All my permissions have given good results on standing barley, stubble, potatoes and carrots. Stubble is best. Now the farmer on one of my best fields has planted OSR. I know plenty on PW shoot regularly over it but I've never done it. So some basic questions...

1. I live outside Belfast, to give you latitude, the OSR is about 6 inches in height now. Is it worth decaying now?

2. When it's in yellow flower is it worth setting up?

3. When it's cut, can you treat it like barley stubble.

Keeping an eye on this field, I see a few pigeons in and about the trees, but nothing feeding on the crop and definitely no flocks. Is it too early just.

Ive found it the same as most other crops, if there are birds going in and you can get in the flight path then its a good day, sometimes they hit it first thing other times its an afternoon feed. Ive been told thats its not their preferred food and that as its one of the only green crops about in winter is the reason that they feel on it, however we've got barley going in and beans and the birds are still feeding on the OSR. if they're going in well shoot it. Biggest problem I found is earlier on in the winter a few big flocks would be on the OSR and a couple of shots and they would disappear, as the flocks are now splitting up it should be a bit easier.

I like the look of a rotary over rape as the birds on it look very natural over the green of the crop, the stubble can also be good but worth getting on it very quickly after harvest. during the rest of the season look for big holes eaten in the crop where the birds are getting in. At the end of the day if pigeons are getting in there the its worth having a crack and learning from mistakes and also having some fun, I'm mean pest control.........Just pick up and use or sell what you shoot!!