Pigeon shooting

I've been looking for a permission for 3 years with no luck.

Very few farmers or land owners seem to be able to even offer permissions for fear of up setting their paid syndicates.

It seems like a closed shop to me run by syndicates.
Its hard too see how the sport can survive in its current state.
I wouldn't be surprised if permissions start commanding large fees, and the sport will go the same way as game shooting.

Very few farmers or land owners seem to be able to even offer permissions for fear of up setting their paid syndicates.

I wouldn't be surprised if permissions start commanding large fees, and the sport will go the same way as game shooting.

Here's an idea, instead of bleating on about syndicates why don't you approach your local Syndicates and offer to beat or help out in some way. Being positive and proactive and offering something is usually a better approach than waiting to get something for nothing.

Here's an idea, instead of bleating on about syndicates why don't you approach your local Syndicates and offer to beat or help out in some way. Being positive and proactive and offering something is usually a better approach than waiting to get something for nothing.

I don't want something for nothing who said I did ?

Finding out who runs the syndicates is very difficult.

Edited by 7iain7

I have over 20 farms i get on and add every year.

Not sure how the sport cant survive in its current state.

I'm near Kidderminster and yes it is hard, but not impossible. I go down the "one off day" route.

i've used google to list some of the local farms to maybe try and visit in the week but only a few on the list are suitable : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/farm/@52.3755754,-2.3919676,30481m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1

Edited by 7iain7

I'm near Kidderminster and yes it is hard, but not impossible. I go down the "one off day" route.

It's over 2 years since I last had an outing on pigeons/rabbits and in that time I've knocked on dozens of doors and wrote hundreds of letters. The problem that I found was I'm only interested in shooting once in a blue moon and the only farmers who had shooting on offer wanted regular shooters especially on weekdays.

Agree, a couple of years beating opens lots of doors

Its a very funny game trying to get perms ,in my experience you've just got to keep getting out and asking . Thankfully I have some very loyal farmers that keep me in the loop whenever I'm needed, but those relationships have been built up over many years of trust. Mind you even that can change at a moments notice. Keep trying fella it will all come together one day!!.

Cheers

Outlander.

The time to go looking is when there are birds on the field, don't ask for a lifetimes permission to shoot every acres the farmer owns, start off by asking to shoot a particular field (preferably one that is getting hammered by pigeons) on a specific day (soon).

If you get the nod, then let the farmer know how you got on , show him the birds, offer him some and then ask him if you can shoot the same field next ???day.

Work your way in, don't aim for the lot at first knock, that puts a lot of farmers off.

Your local Gunshop may be able to give you contact info for the syndicates in your area.