3" magnum

Wrighty112

What are the proof marks telling you? They'll give you the definitive answer.

I'd expect a Silver Pigeon to have modern Superior Proof - and it's pretty hard to blow up a shotgun anyway, though you of course don't want to be in a position where you're risking it!

So I agree with Wymberley. If you have any doubt, look at the proof marks.

I've seen two guns in the last year with 3" chambers that had old-style (Spanish???) Superior Proof which is expressed as 1000kg/cm² - compared, say, to the standard nitro proofs for 2½" and 2¾" chambered guns of 850 and 950 kg/cm², respectively. This is somewhat lower than the 1200kg/cm² pressure which is the modern "Superior Proof".

I don't expect your Silver Pigeon to be one of these 1000kg/cm² guns. I only mention it from a safety perspective. I also wouldn't expect a gun of the 1000kg/cm² kind to have any trouble with modern 1200kg/cm² 3" shells - apart from anything else, the safety factor they apply to the test probably ensures the capability required. Personally though, I'd still feel better knowing that the gun had been tested to the level I expect it to be - you don't want that doubt in your mind when you're out actually shooting 3" shells at something.

Edited by neutron619