“West Mercia Police Help police dog Ivy stay with her beloved dog hand

Danger-Mouse

No and I am sorry to be the spoilsport here but this is ridiculous the dog is a piece of Police equipment with another four years service life which has cost the tax payer in excess of £10000 pounds to source and train never mind feed and maintain, its a good job he wasn`t a mounted officer wanting to keep his Horse.

Edited by sportsbob

No and I am sorry to be the spoilsport here but this is ridiculous the dog is a piece of Police equipment with another four years service life which has cost the tax payer in excess of £10000 pounds to source and train never mind feed and maintain, its a good job he wasn`t a mounted officer wanting to keep his Horse.

Couldn't agree more.

It goes deeper than that, anyone that spends 24/7 with a dog and it becomes part of the family, anyone who can't see that must have emotions missing, the officer has offered to pay what it cost to train the dog.

A few points, when he was issued with the equipment he may well have known when his retirement would be and perhaps he could have had an existing serving dog?

If he is prepared to pay the costs then that could ease the situation BUT it would also set a precedent which to be honest would cause issues in the future where others would expect the same.

Would the Police force be able to train the rise in number of required animals as a result of officers getting teary eyed and if they could that would also increase the training costs involved.

I have had dogs all my life and I do know what it`s like to take them to the vets for the last time but in this instance a firm no is the only practical answer.

A few points, when he was issued with the equipment he may well have known when his retirement would be and perhaps he could have had an existing serving dog?

If he is prepared to pay the costs then that could ease the situation BUT it would also set a precedent which to be honest would cause issues in the future where others would expect the same.

Would the Police force be able to train the rise in number of required animals as a result of officers getting teary eyed and if they could that would also increase the training costs involved.

I have had dogs all my life and I do know what it`s like to take them to the vets for the last time but in this instance a firm no is the only practical answer.

When it comes down to your dog "practical" doesn't come into it as far as I'm concerned, but we all have our own opinion I suppose.

As a dog owner you would think you wouldn't class a dog as equipment, maybe you shouldn't own dogs.

i am amazed at how many people on here are critical given the number of dogs people on here have given away or sold over the years because they are fed up with them, don't have the time to walk them or have had a baby. I was gutted when i had mine put down a year ago and fully understand how the officer must feel but if he wants to keep the dog then he should pay pro rata whatever the dogs replacement/remaining years or training would cost. That animal is public property paid for from the taxpayers purse and not a gift or perk of the job, It mentions the dog is a family pet but whenever i have seen any programmes featuring police dogs they are always kenneed in the back garden?

i am amazed at how many people on here are critical given the number of dogs people on here have given away or sold over the years because they are fed up with them, don't have the time to walk them or have had a baby. I was gutted when i had mine put down a year ago and fully understand how the officer must feel but if he wants to keep the dog then he should pay pro rata whatever the dogs replacement/remaining years or training would cost. That animal is public property paid for from the taxpayers purse and not a gift or perk of the job, It mentions the dog is a family pet but whenever i have seen any programmes featuring police dogs they are always kenneed in the back garden?

And again, he has offered to pay it's training costs