Miles and miles

I could not shoot on Friday due to other committments, so I was keen to get out with DB on Saturday. We checked out all our rape fields with some requests to shoot due to agrologists reports but watching the fields they were devoid of birds. We kept on driving hoping to pick up on a flightline or two, we found some birds in small numbers on clover also in the trees on buds but none worth setting up for. Then just by chance we passed three large seeded fields, we stopped and viewed them but all we could see was a small flock of doves feeding close to a wood. We drove round the road to get a better view and picked up on pigeons in the trees on the back end of the wood out of the very strong wind . Now these birds were very low down in the trees and hidden from main view. We tried to contact the farmer but his phone was turned off so I left a text saying we were on his seed. It was now 11.00 and we set up with the normal twelve thawed birds with two of them on the magnet. the first birds in flared but were shot subsequent birds were very spooky so we tried various combinations of two magnets, two, four, six and eight landers/angels. All on spikes etc. The winning combination was two magnets , one angel and the rest on spikes. We also had lots of doves coming with the pigeon and at times all doves which made you have to check before you shoot. As the afternoon carried on the number of birds increased , we had a few crows come to the pigeon decoys when we had no magnet and these were put to the side of the main decoy pattern and gave us some extra sport. The farmer pulled into the gateway and watched our shooting for ten minutes and replied to my previous text by saying carry on. We had a few spits of rain but the wind was very strong all the time. We shot till 17.00 and had covered seventy miles but picked up one hundred and thirteen pigeons and thirtytwo corvids. I text a picture to the farmer and thanked him for the day his reply " great result" so it was worth it in the end.

9a4fb26f-19b7-4d86-9c1e-01941f3f9dd1_zps

DBs camera shy, Bunny_Blaster has posted some good gun camera shots on another forum , might be tempted.

hope you get around to it should be a good watch,my mate did a video of me one day around two years back but by the time we cut the misses out we both though 15 second video`s not worth posting :lol:

That was an excellent result, finding birds on drillings in those numbers and keeping them interested.

They always seem more flighty on drillings than any other crop.

Clover seems the crop of choice in my area and with 38 birds on it this morning, my lawns seems to be the local hotspot. :rolleyes: