Anyone been trout fishing over the weekend ?

Ferret664

What a beautiful brown trout nicely done . Fished chigborough last Saturday first time I've fished a small still water in a while normally fish reservoirs . Really difficult to fish from bank as so much weed fishing nymphs and buzzers was impossible. There was a one small row boat there so took that out to the deepest point . Tried buzzers nothing but saw some small fish jumping so stuck on a Minkie on a intermediate and in 20 minutes had 2 fish to the net and lost one then had another one a little while later on a di7 again on the minkie then called it a day . Fishing grafham to,Oreos afternoon so will see how that goes really looking forward to it

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good fishing all. Managed the first sea trout of the season last Friday about 2.5lb in weight. Fish was returned.

Tight Lines

Aled

Interesting you returned your fish Aled! I see the 2015 Natural Resources Wales/EA stats reveal.....

272 nets took 64,486 Seatrout (and 17,132 Salmon) non of either species listed as returned!

Whereas 30,848 rod licences took......6,384 Seatrout (and 2,150 Salmon).......21,503 Seatrout {77%} and 8,111 Salmon {79%} were returned by rod anglers!

Why do we bother?

Edited by panoma1

Interesting you returned your fish Aled! I see the 2015 Natural Resources Wales/EA stats reveal.....

272 nets took 64,486 Seatrout (and 17,132 Salmon) non of either species listed as returned!

Whereas 30,848 rod licences took......6,384 Seatrout (and 2,150 Salmon).......21,503 Seatrout {77%} and 8,111 Salmon {79%} were returned by rod anglers!

Why do we bother?

Because its is the one thing I can do. I wont return all my fish, the next one may well be taken for the pot, but any others will probably be returned.

Cheers

Aled

It was a rhetorical question! The point being that the rod angler bears no responsibility for the reported decrease in the numbers of Salmon and Seatrout numbers in UK rivers.......when 272 licensed netsmen are allowed to take 64,468 Seatrout out of our rivers.......whilst 30,848 rod anglers voluntarily return the majority and take just 6,348.........

Equally rod anglers cannot be held responsible for any future decline! Even if we decline to return any of our rod caught fish!

It was a long time since I was at school but I work out that this equates to each licensed netsman taking 2370 Seatrout per season.......as opposed to each licensed rod angler taking 0.2 Seatrout per season.....bit disproportionate don't you think?

As long as such obscene rape of our rivers is allowed to continue the Migratory fish levels will never recover......and the law abiding Angler will continue to pick up the tab in terms of ever increasing licence fees together with more restrictions and byelaws.......until the fisherman/pothunter vanishes into the mists of time.......I love my Salmon and Seatrout fishing but I wonder whether my sacrifice in returning fish is really worthwhile? And who are the mugs?

Edited by panoma1

Totally agree with the rape of the seas, however I usually return the first one of the season, usually though its a big hen fish which are of more use in the river than in my frying pan, this year they are late arriving!

Yes you are correct the problem is not entirely in our rivers, but its us anglers who are paying the price for others behaviour. Which is rather unfair!

Tight Lines

Aled