Anyone been trout fishing over the weekend ?

Ferret664

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

First outing this season last Friday, near Bolton. Very cold wind and I had tried everything (do not use lures), had one pull on a size 14 buzzer, then nothing. After 4 hours of trying floating and inter lines, I tied on an Irish tied claret bumble which has been in my fly box for the last 15 years or so. I was given 3 in Ireland, I now have 1 left. The tyer, a good friend, is now on the big Lough in the sky. I tied it on a long leader, on the floater, and took 2 cracking Rainbows in about 15 minutes. The bigger fish was around 3 lbs. and the smaller about 2 1/2lbs. I have now tied up a dozen copies and the original is stuck in a whiskey bottle cork, on the shelf above my tying bench.

Nice report thanks for sharing

I don't normally uses lures myself . Like to fish nymphs and buzzers normally but with the bright sun I was trying to fish deep using di5 and washing line black and green booby on point and 2 blood worms on droppers(around midday 11-1 fished in around 35 foot water ) . Each time I gave a pull to get the sink and rise from the booby lifting the bloodworms I was getting takes . I was hoping for them to be on the blood worm but they were on the booby so switched to a pair of boobies as much as I hate to admit it moved to around 10-15 foot of water and it was nearly a take a cast . Well done on your fish and May the copies of your friends fly bring you luck

Ferret

Nice report thanks for sharing

I don't normally uses lures myself . Like to fish nymphs and buzzers normally but with the bright sun I was trying to fish deep using di5 and washing line black and green booby on point and 2 blood worms on droppers(around midday 11-1 fished in around 35 foot water ) . Each time I gave a pull to get the sink and rise from the booby lifting the bloodworms I was getting takes . I was hoping for them to be on the blood worm but they were on the booby so switched to a pair of boobies as much as I hate to admit it moved to around 10-15 foot of water and it was nearly a take a cast . Well done on your fish and May the copies of your friends fly bring you luck

Ferret

Thank you for that, yes we had many a happy day in the forty plus years that we fished and shot together. Including him putting a buzzer in my right ear during a windy day in a boat. Strangely enough, the same green boat appeared in the Sporting Pictures section a couple of weeks ago (not by me).

Spent Sat morning early afternoon on an Ayrshire river, downstream wet flies till just after 12 when a hatch of olives and big stone flies came on then switched to lighter kit for upstream dries. 10 fish from approx 6inch to 12 the biggest. Was good fun . Was out couple of weeks ago and did well on the rainbows fishing an oakham orange on point and nymphs on dropper.

Edited by Andra

How did everyone get on?

I gave the river a miss in the end, temptatures too low & headed for the local reservoir.

Plenty of fish about but nothing taking any of the flies in my box.

Literally had 1 minute of sunshine, enough to encourage a little insect life on the water. Ended up with one fish on dry fly (parachute emerger). First rainbow of the season.

Well I fished Grafham yesterday and man was it windy up there couldn't hold anchor anywhere. Finally managed to as we got the anchor stuck!! it must have dragged across into something but anyway being anchored help it was so windy and rough couldn't nymph with a floating line so I tried the washing line technique with a intermediate and had great success in about a hour I took 7 trout 6 rainbows and a brown which I released. Most fish falling to the booby on point would much rather they all fell to the buzzers but oh well 2 did and one of them was the brown trout my.first and Grafham so well pleased about that. When the rangers came and freed our anchor . They said try back drifting with boobies not really my thing but we did I took 2 and my friend took 3 on the back drift and 2 more when we were anchored all on boobies for him black and green is the colour . So a great day.in all 9 trout for me and 5 for my friend. We did get soaked for our fish though the waves out there thought I was out at sea haha

Ferret

Anyone been out ?

Went today at grafham had 6 rainbows and 2 brown trout . I let both browns go biggest was just over 4lb so was well pleased with that

Red cruncher was too fly today with 5 falling to it

Red head daiwl bach accounted for 2 and one to the booby on point for the washing line technique

Ferret

Went over to Hanningield on Saturday and from the moment I arrived, you couldn't breathe for midges - They were everywhere in their millions (literally) and flying in and out of every orifice - You could see them dead on the water everywhere. I gave it an hour or so but came up blank - Figured with that much food around, my humble presentation was that last slice of pie that they just couldn't handle.

They were catching nothing yesterday - I was sat on the dam wall (I wasn't going to lay out the extra for a boat due to the time left to fish) and they were all coming past me going home with empty bags. Trouble is they can't keep it going over there when it's fly only - Essex is pretty much the carp capital of the UK.

It's wear the money is these days. I went to see a couple of pals on Saturday who were fishing in the Lea valley and one was telling how a friend of his payed £600 each for 3 reels and a bit more each for 3 rods to go with them.

They were catching nothing yesterday - I was sat on the dam wall (I wasn't going to lay out the extra for a boat due to the time left to fish) and they were all coming past me going home with empty bags. Trouble is they can't keep it going over there when it's fly only - Essex is pretty much the carp capital of the UK.