On the Buds

I opened the bedroom curtains this morning to be greeted by twenty wood pigeons in the top of two Beech trees in the garden. Over the weekend we saw them in other trees also. This tends to be the start of the difficult period for decoying as they pair up and feed in small groups. The small groups is an advantage if you can find the food source as they will present you with a regular supply of birds to your gun.

Has anybody seen them on buds or do " I Need to go to Specsavers"

Yes another trip to Specsavers is required. You can combine that trip with the one to your therapist.

The Wolds are way behind the south of the country and as far as I can see there are no buds of interest as yet. Rape still seems to be the favoured food source followed by clover. Drillings are of little interest so far.

Yes another trip to Specsavers is required. You can combine that trip with the one to your therapist.

The Wolds are way behind the south of the country and as far as I can see there are no buds of interest as yet. Rape still seems to be the favoured food source followed by clover. Drillings are of little interest so far.

Do I take both people in my head to the therapist???

Whatever the pigeons are on , they must be on them at night or under the moon because there is very little sign of them during daylight hours on anything at the moment , no , things are not that bad but could certainly be a lot better .

Last week around here the conditions for drilling were nigh on perfect and the farmers took advantage of the weather while it lasted , resulting in litually every farmer drilling there land at the same time .

One big field of Spring barley I go on was put in Wednesday and finished off on Thursday , Saturday I had a look and couldn't find a grain of seed anywhere and it was only after kicking away a bit of soil could you find the odd grain , needless to say there wasn't a single pigeon to be found , to save the day I ended up shooting a few on some Winter barley that were feeding on some weeds in between the rows of plants .

With April here next week and May and June being two of the quietest months of the year I think the prospects of me shooting any large numbers are pretty slim , unless the Peas are a lot better than previous years and they attract them in numbers like they once did in the past .

Most of the rape around here is 18" high with the odd grazed spot about 5", had a drive around this morning, not a bird on any of the rape fields or in the trees around the fields, did see a lot of birds on some grass and a few feeding on ivy berries, not seen any on buds.

Think the winter rape is over for this year, most of my farms are talking corn, beans or peas.

The big flocks have gone and pigeons have been hard to find. See a few feeding on ivy and grass fields and the odd thin rape patch but no big numbers. Never had any big or even average days on spring drillings on my permissions, but live in hope. Lots of barley going in this week and should be some peas in soon. Have one big field that is always popular with pigeons going into peas this year...should provide some good days.

The dry spell last week resulted in many fields being drilled in my area. This has given the birds much to go at and are difficult to concentrate into one area. I had a decent day yesterday (See Pictures) and another pal of mine had a stonking day on drilled beans yesterday in the Tweed valley where he picked 180. This was mostly flighting birds as he reckoned only 25% decoyed. He wouldn't tell me how many shots he fired. Jammy ***!