best hands free for car

whitehackle

If you want a hard wired that interrupts your radio etc and voice activated the the CK3100 by Parrot.Can be bought for sub £100 and it's an easy install but may require an ISO lead.Or go for their voice activated Mini kit Neo HD £60 as a plug and play unit.Only downside is you need to lower your radio manually with plug and plays.

Supertooth Buddy is also a good plug and play @ £35.00 but Vodafone are doing them on their eBay shop at £29 free delivery.

There isn't a Parrot system I haven't fitted but my favourite is the CK3100.

Remember some of the plug and play kits (not Parrot require you to press a button to rev or make a call.(As long as your not pressing anything on the actual phone then you are ok)

The Supertooth buddy is exactly that but if you press the button to make a call you just tell Siri or google who you want to call and it does the rest.

With the Parrot mini kit plug and play you don't touch anything, you just simply say "mini kit" it will the ask you "who do you want to call" you simply say for example "call home" and the call is made.If a call comes in you simply say "accept" or "reject"

Edited by Davyo

All my vehicles have parrot 9200 systems in.been in a few years and never had any problems.have swapped them to other vehicles easy enough.may well have been superceded now.

The MKi 9200 is an excellent kit especially with the added Aux and USB leads.The only think I didn't like about it was the separate Bluetooth remote that requires a battery, which the CK3100 doesn't.

So what's the difference from incoming or outgoing when you don't take you hands off the wheel?

So are we to make putting the air con on,adjusting heating, adjusting an air vent,putting on hazard warning lights,changing gear,or applying the hand brake illegal too.

Edited by Davyo

From the evidence i've seen hands free is just as dangerous as holding. Best practice is to leave your phone in your pocket. If you do go hands free get one that doesn't dial out as that's a big no no.

Why is dialling out a big no no? Many are fully voice automated press a button wheel wait for beep and say call "xyz" some times dials an old friend you haven't spoken to for a while..... more distracting changing radio station than talking on a call in my current car!

Old car press a button dash new car press a button by gear stick, then turn a knob while looking at screen, then Press another different button! Just to change the radio

I've got built in hands free and I only use it to say "I'll ring you back, I'm driving".

This may not happen to everyone but I found that when I was on the phone I could see the subject the person

was talking about in my "minds eye".

I could travel for miles and not remember the journey......Scary.

I've got built in hands free and I only use it to say "I'll ring you back, I'm driving".

This may not happen to everyone but I found that when I was on the phone I could see the subject the person

was talking about in my "minds eye".

I could travel for miles and not remember the journey......Scary.

Never happens to me, however can't remember the drive to work this morning as Kylie was on the radio.Mind must of been elsewhere 👅

If you want a hard wired that interrupts your radio etc and voice activated the the CK3100 by Parrot.Can be bought for sub £100 and it's an easy install but may require an ISO lead.Or go for their voice activated Mini kit Neo HD £60 as a plug and play unit.Only downside is you need to lower your radio manually with plug and plays.

Supertooth Buddy is also a good plug and play @ £35.00 but Vodafone are doing them on their eBay shop at £29 free delivery.

Remember some of the plug and play kits (not Parrot require you to press a button to rev or make a call.(As long as your not pressing anything on the actual phone then you are ok)

The Supertooth buddy is exactly that but if you press the button to make a call you just tell Siri or google who you want to call and it does the rest.

With the Parrot mini kit plug and play you don't touch anything, you just simply say "mini kit" it will the ask you "who do you want to call" you simply say for example "call home" and the call is made.If a call comes in you simply say "accept" or "reject"

Ok so i am looking at getting the ck 3100 for the transit,it comes with a sot lead ! £120 delivered, is this and easy fit or has all the dash to come out.i have presumed that this sot lead plugs into radio and ck3100 plugs into that,job done except for routing the mic !

Ok so i am looking at getting the ck 3100 for the transit,it comes with a sot lead ! £120 delivered, is this and easy fit or has all the dash to come out.i have presumed that this sot lead plugs into radio and ck3100 plugs into that,job done except for routing the mic !

Just pull out the headset plug and play, the hardest part will be routing where you want the mic.I usually stick it up by the rear mirror in cars.In a tranny you might want it mounted on the dash. If you select the mirror mounting then it's just running the cable along the headlining down the door pillar and through the dash.Drop out the glove box to assist.This is where I usually mount the brain (blue box) so all cables meet behind the glove box.Have a look on you tube and you will get an idea of what i mean.

https://youtu.be/9b9c8C3CVlU

Edited by Davyo

Why is dialling out a big no no? Many are fully voice automated press a button wheel wait for beep and say call "xyz" some times dials an old friend you haven't spoken to for a while..... more distracting changing radio station than talking on a call in my current car!

Old car press a button dash new car press a button by gear stick, then turn a knob while looking at screen, then Press another different button! Just to change the radio

Dialing out requires a thought process, while your thinking about what you're calling Bert for you aren't thinking about driving.

Also I don't know anyone who uses voice dialing so that means that looking up the number is happening.

My honest opinion is mobile phone and road use should never have been allowed in the first place.

And just so you're aware I'm self employed and my phone is a big source of income to me, regardless it stays in my pocket when I'm driving, if someone can't wait a few minutes for a response us no skin of my nose.

Dialing out requires a thought process, while your thinking about what you're calling Bert for you aren't thinking about driving.

Also I don't know anyone who uses voice dialing so that means that looking up the number is happening.

My honest opinion is mobile phone and road use should never have been allowed in the first place.

And just so you're aware I'm self employed and my phone is a big source of income to me, regardless it stays in my pocket when I'm driving, if someone can't wait a few minutes for a response us no skin of my nose.

You don't look up numbers these days,Siri does that you or Ford Sync.You don't even take your hands off the wheel.Can I ask you a question,so you drive with no other thought at all inside you head other than driving?.So not thinking about what's for tea? What's my next job going to be,have I got enough materials etc,etc,etc.Do you change gear at all,do you switch on the air con or adjust the heating or do you pull over and stop the car do do all these things? Edited by Davyo

Just pull out the headset plug and play, the hardest part will be routing where you want the mic.I usually stick it up by the rear mirror in cars.In a tranny you might want it mounted on the dash. If you select the mirror mounting then it's just running the cable along the headlining down the door pillar and through the dash.Drop out the glove box to assist.This is where I usually mount the brain (blue box) so all cables meet behind the glove box.Have a look on you tube and you will get an idea of what i mean.

Thanks for advice and link,much appreciated :good: You gotta love PW.

The Audi system is pretty good just hit he button shout "call home" and in seconds your speaking to Bert telling him how your stationary on the motorway and won't be home for Dinner......

You don't look up numbers these days,Siri does that you or Ford Sync.You don't even take your hands off the wheel.Can I ask you a question,so you drive with no other thought at all inside you head other than driving?.So not thinking about what's for tea? What's my next job going to be,have I got enough materials etc,etc,etc.Do you change gear at all,do you switch on the air con or adjust the heating or do you pull over and stop the car do do all these things?

Yes I do have thoughts in my head.

Yes I will sometimes adjust something in the car.

What I don't do is initiate a conversation with someone on a phone while I'm driving, or for that matter pick up a call.

I can see that we will never agree on this, I just hope youre never involved in an accident whilst you're using your phone.

That's all I'm saying on the matter.

TTFN.

Yes I do have thoughts in my head.

Yes I will sometimes adjust something in the car.

What I don't do is initiate a conversation with someone on a phone while I'm driving, or for that matter pick up a call.

I can see that we will never agree on this, I just hope youre never involved in an accident whilst you're using your phone.

That's all I'm saying on the matter.

TTFN.

So on that basis I take that police officers involved in pursuits should not be speaking to operations on a hands free system either.Or it should be illegal to listen to the radio as it takes your mind off driving.

The fact of the matter is you jump on a thread where someone is asking for advise.Your advise is an option and an opinion that has no point because it's not illegal to use a hands free unit.I suggest you read up on handsfree units before you start criticising those that use them lawfully.

So I take it anyone that travels in a car/van with you while you are driving isn't allowed to enter into conversation fear of taking your mind off your driving.

Edited by Davyo

Supertooth bluetooth buddy clips onto the sunvisor and is cheap as chips so can be moved between vehicles, no wires needed. I used one for the last 5 years and aside from.the impossibly loud "I need charging" beep which I could hear from my bedroom it was overall a good little device.

Lots of sat navs now have Bluetooth phone capabilities which would be my choice if I was in the market Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171928924413

Edited by Twistedsanity

• 2 months later...

Just fitted the ck3100 in the transit,many thanks :good:

Even receiving a call can be a bad distraction.

It might be to tell you a loved one has been badly injured or similar.

Even more reason to answer the call.

Thing is not all people can trust their self to operate a vehicle, pay attention to road and talk to someone all at the same time. It's very confusing for them, my friend is exactly the same way so turns his phone off doesn't use radio etc.

Others can others can't.