Snares

Benthejockey

Love them or hate them they have their uses. I don't like them, but we've had a whole raft of chickens, lambs and two geese pulled out of a stable the last few days so it was time for drastic action. I was pretty sure it was a lamp shy old vixen that's been around for ages and I've never managed to catch up with her. I set the snare on a new run just before dark last night and checked it at first light this morning. And there she was. A quick dose of lead and it was game over. But it was a bit of an odd feeling. If I'd shot her across the field in the lamp or dug a great big hole to a terrier or even caught her with a lurcher (pre ban obviously) then I'd have a great sense of accomplishment but catching it in a snare just seems like cheating. Obviously pest control is pest control and a pest has to be removed and there is no such thing as cheating but I won't be taking up using snares as a regular thing.

Possibly because there was no 'sport' in it.

Love them or hate them they have their uses. I don't like them, but we've had a whole raft of chickens, lambs and two geese pulled out of a stable the last few days so it was time for drastic action. I was pretty sure it was a lamp shy old vixen that's been around for ages and I've never managed to catch up with her. I set the snare on a new run just before dark last night and checked it at first light this morning. And there she was. A quick dose of lead and it was game over. But it was a bit of an odd feeling. If I'd shot her across the field in the lamp or dug a great big hole to a terrier or even caught her with a lurcher (pre ban obviously) then I'd have a great sense of accomplishment but catching it in a snare just seems like cheating. Obviously pest control is pest control and a pest has to be removed and there is no such thing as cheating but I won't be taking up using snares as a regular thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Snares are in my opinion a tool, just as a rifle, trap or shotgun is. You may not agree with using them but they were all invented to do a job, and all of them used correctly are very effective in doing what they were made for.

A snare will do it's work 24/7 when you can't be there. as long as they are checked regularly, they are effective. I suppose it all depends on your outlook, if you use each for sport or to get results your views will differ.

Agree with the sentiment of Tonker. Usual debate of sport vs pest control. As mentioned it is hardly sporting to use a high powered rifle with a scope of any sort. Maybe we should try the trusty bow and arrow?

I shoot a good few foxes and am not a fan of snares however they are effective as has been proven by this post and have their place.