.25 FAC Air Rifle

Whitebridges

Good evening gents,

I'm looking for a .25. Need something with less grunt than a .22 LR for vermin work around farm buildings and game bird feeders.

Rabbits and grey squirrels also on the agenda.

Very keen to here from .25 FAC air gun users. What gun would you recommend and why?

Got an fx bobcat here jogging along at 47 ft/lb. lovely gun and about 50 shots to a charge. No need for a mod as the shrouded barrel sorts out noise nicely. Balances well for standing shots and not stupidly long so works well as a truck gun

Bonus for squizzers is it hits like a train making body shots no issues but can be used for tree shots which I wouldn't take with an LR

Hi Whitebridges,

Can't answer all of the questions. The experience of gaining an FAC and having multiple rifles on ticket over years, I would strongly advise you to add a moderator to your ticket with the rifle. If you don't and then find out you need one you have to then pay a fee plus wait for the change to come through.

Hi Whitebridges

I zero at 46 yard that gives me PBR from about 15 yards out to 50 yards. Its roughly 1 mil dot holdover at 70 yards.

I have shot rats with it, on the Bobcat there is a power adjuster that allows you to wind it down to roughly 20 ft/lbs which with a scope adjustment is ideal for round the buildings and boy do the rats know it. Obviously this makes the trajectory a bit loopy but as most rat shooting I do is <25 yards it doesnt really make a lot of odds.

I do have a moderator slot on my ticket for a .25 cal mod as if I want one in future I can get one but at the moment I havent found the need for it really on this particular rifle.

Cheers Zetter

Hi Whitebridges,

Can't answer all of the questions. The experience of gaining an FAC and having multiple rifles on ticket over years, I would strongly advise you to add a moderator to your ticket with the rifle. If you don't and then find out you need one you have to then pay a fee plus wait for the change to come through.

Yes, I will do that. Thanks.

Hi Whitebridges

I zero at 46 yard that gives me PBR from about 15 yards out to 50 yards. Its roughly 1 mil dot holdover at 70 yards.

I have shot rats with it, on the Bobcat there is a power adjuster that allows you to wind it down to roughly 20 ft/lbs which with a scope adjustment is ideal for round the buildings and boy do the rats know it. Obviously this makes the trajectory a bit loopy but as most rat shooting I do is <25 yards it doesnt really make a lot of odds.

I do have a moderator slot on my ticket for a .25 cal mod as if I want one in future I can get one but at the moment I havent found the need for it really on this particular rifle.

Cheers Zetter

Thanks Zetter, some very helpful information. I like the idea of variable power. Can I ask what pellets you use?

Hi Whitebridges

At the moment I am throwing JSB exacts through it. Be wary of going too light such as H+N as I tend to find at 40ft/lb + they tend to go too fast and destabilise but you want that sort of muzzle energy to get the benefit out of .25

Hi Whitebridges

At the moment I am throwing JSB exacts through it. Be wary of going too light such as H+N as I tend to find at 40ft/lb + they tend to go too fast and destabilise but you want that sort of muzzle energy to get the benefit out of .25

Cheers Zetter, i've been doing a bit of homework on .25 ammo. There is plenty of choice. I like the look of JSB Exact King Heavy Pellets 33.95 grain. http://www.uttings.co.uk/c1008-25-pellets/

The new FX Crown, have a look you can change caliber and power easily. It will cover everything you would want. Also uses a new profile rifles barrel not the smooth twist but rifles from the outside of the barrel.

Thanks for the heads up figgy. I found this. http://hardairmagazine.com/news/iwa-2017-day-one-new-fx-crown-air-rifle-announced/ Looks very nice but can't find a price.

I have a Daystate Air Ranger in .25, running at 44 ft/lbs, using JSB's. Not sure of the the JSB's weight. I use a Huggett moderator.

Took it out the other day around the farm buildings looking for pigeons for decoys. Didn't stay long, but bagged 5 pigeons. Zero'd at 50 yards, and the longest shot so far is 70 yards, and used 1 mil dot holdover. A lovely rifle, and a dream to shoot. My only criticism is the bolt is hard to cycle, and you do see fac air short comings at 70 plus yards compared to the .22lr. But having said that, it's to be accepted.... And it's great being able to shoot (if safe) up into the trees. One of the pigeons i hit was at 45 yards, and crikey did it hit it hard! It dropped like a stone, without a single movement.

I did wonder if it was worth the outlay, but not anymore, i'm well chuffed, and it's perfect around the farm buildings.

Jamie.

PS. If not answered yet, I was told i had to put a request in for an fac air mod if i wanted a mod. But i'm sure most quality air rifle mods would do the trick.

Edited by jam1e

Cheers Zetter, i've been doing a bit of homework on .25 ammo. There is plenty of choice. I like the look of JSB Exact King Heavy Pellets 33.95 grain. http://www.uttings.co.uk/c1008-25-pellets/

This is my next stop to be honest mate as I think the rifle is still pushing even the JSB kings too fast so am going to try a tin of these as well. Dont get me wrong its putting down decent groups with the lighter JSBs but I think a heavier pellet would be better

I know your a bit of a way off in Norfolk but if you ever get down towards Bucks I would be happy to take you out for a spin with it.

Cheers Neil

Edited by Zetter

I have a Daystate Air Ranger in .25, running at 44 ft/lbs, using JSB's. Not sure of the the JSB's weight. I use a Huggett moderator.

Took it out the other day around the farm buildings looking for pigeons for decoys. Didn't stay long, but bagged 5 pigeons. Zero'd at 50 yards, and the longest shot so far is 70 yards, and used 1 mil dot holdover. A lovely rifle, and a dream to shoot. My only criticism is the bolt is hard to cycle, and you do see fac air short comings at 70 plus yards compared to the .22lr. But having said that, it's to be accepted.... And it's great being able to shoot (if safe) up into the trees. One of the pigeons i hit was at 45 yards, and crikey did it hit it hard! It dropped like a stone, without a single movement.

I did wonder if it was worth the outlay, but not anymore, i'm well chuffed, and it's perfect around the farm buildings.

Jamie.

PS. If not answered yet, I was told i had to put a request in for an fac air mod if i wanted a mod. But i'm sure most quality air rifle mods would do the trick.

jam1e, will look at a Daystate as an option. I have a .177 regal at < 12 ft lbs and really rate it ( i know others think they are cac :rolleyes: but mine has been faultless ).

This is my next stop to be honest mate as I think the rifle is still pushing even the JSB kings too fast so am going to try a tin of these as well. Dont get me wrong its putting down decent groups with the lighter JSBs but I think a heavier pellet would be better

I know your a bit of a way off in Norfolk but if you ever get down towards Bucks I would be happy to take you out for a spin with it.

Cheers Neil

That's very kind of you, greatly appreciated. I sometimes find myself out on the road. If I come your way I will certainly look you up. Thank you.

Edited by Whitebridges

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in why you are going for a .25 Whitebridges.

Having had .22 FAC for years on my ticket and not filled it, I recently uprated my old Webley Axsor to 25ft pounds for work around buildings. All it took was a replacement hammer spring. What a useful power level it is, and a much flatter shooter. Look over this chart and see the retained power and velocity at 40 and 50 yards. The calculator is set up for AA Fields, 16gn. At 40 yds it has 18 ft pounds and 704 fps. It is almost flat shooting from 10 to 40 yards.

Scroll down the page to see the table of velocities, impact power and trajectory.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php?pl=%5BPreset+Name%5D&presets=&df=G1&bc=0.032&bw=16&vi=830&zr=40&sh=1.5&sa=0&ws=10&wa=90&ssb=on&cr=75&ss=5&chartColumns=Range~yd%3BElevation~in%3BElevation~MOA~FBFFF5%3BElevation~MIL%3BWindage~in%3BWindage~MOA~FBFFF5%3BWindage~MIL%3BTime~s%3BEnergy~ft.lbf%3BVel%5Bx%2By%5D~ft%2Fs&lbl=&submitst=+Create+Chart+

Edited by Evilv

• 2 weeks later...

Evilv,

Good reasons to go 25cal

• avoids going supersonic, which your 22 will do once you hit 45ftlbs or thereabouts.
  • more efficient use of air
  • greater shock/concussion on impact
  • better bc
  • less deflection by crosswinds

The downsides are: -

• more expensive ammo
  • steeper trajectory for any given velocity

If you can judge range accurately, the 25 is a sweet caliber to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Stonepark.

Horses for courses and each man to his own really seems to cover it.

I value as flat a trajectory as I can get as long as the caliber will flatten the vermin without cruel woundings and such like. I take the point about heavier impact. Personally, and this is just one man's opinion, if you are going to go for as much as 45ft/pounds, you might as well go for a .22rf and load subsonics. They will hit even harder if you need that. Having said that, there may be special circumstances I haven't thought about.

I recently started using 25 ft pounds in .22 and that will kill effectively with shots to the chest - no argument, at 40 yards or thereabouts. What makes it useful in some situations is that I can use it around buildings and inside certain kinds of buildings without the risks of damage and ricocheting around inside and risk to me. Always have to be careful of course.

Up until the last few weeks I used .22rf and .17hmr. The cost of the latter is mad though for young rabbits or a crow in a field. The airgun does well on cost.

Evilv,

Good reasons to go 25cal

• avoids going supersonic, which your 22 will do once you hit 45ftlbs or thereabouts.
  • more efficient use of air
  • greater shock/concussion on impact
  • better bc
  • less deflection by crosswinds

The downsides are: -

• more expensive ammo
  • steeper trajectory for any given velocity

If you can judge range accurately, the 25 is a sweet caliber to use.

+ 1.

Used .22 fac, but prefer the .25, it hits so hard. I would have gone for the .22 fac air, as it was already on my ticket. But the gun i wanted (Or more the one that come up first) was in .25 cal. It still took 4 months just to change my .22 fac air to .25 fac air. Was it worth, without a doubt, yes!

Thanks for the info. Stonepark.

Horses for courses and each man to his own really seems to cover it.

I value as flat a trajectory as I can get as long as the caliber will flatten the vermin without cruel woundings and such like. I take the point about heavier impact. Personally, and this is just one man's opinion, if you are going to go for as much as 45ft/pounds, you might as well go for a .22rf and load subsonics. They will hit even harder if you need that. Having said that, there may be special circumstances I haven't thought about.

I recently started using 25 ft pounds in .22 and that will kill effectively with shots to the chest - no argument, at 40 yards or thereabouts. What makes it useful in some situations is that I can use it around buildings and inside certain kinds of buildings without the risks of damage and ricocheting around inside and risk to me. Always have to be careful of course.

Up until the last few weeks I used .22rf and .17hmr. The cost of the latter is mad though for young rabbits or a crow in a field. The airgun does well on cost.

I have heard that .22 fac pellets over 40 or so ft/lbs starts getting unstable. Having said that, i've used the low 45 ft/lb .22 rimfire rounds, and found the accuracy terrible. Even at 20 yards! But maybe those rounds will suit your gun? They certainly didn't in my gun.

I have heard that .22 fac pellets over 40 or so ft/lbs starts getting unstable. Having said that, i've used the low 45 ft/lb .22 rimfire rounds, and found the accuracy terrible. Even at 20 yards! But maybe those rounds will suit your gun? They certainly didn't in my gun.

I've never used those very low power .22rf rounds. I used to use Eley subsonic and they were great as long as you could cater for the curvy trajectory. They would easily group about an inch at 50 yards - they might have done better if I'd been up too shooting better. :)