.25 FAC Air Rifle

Whitebridges

I have a Daystate Air Ranger in .25, running at 44 ft/lbs, using JSB's. Not sure of the the JSB's weight. I use a Huggett moderator.

Took it out the other day around the farm buildings looking for pigeons for decoys. Didn't stay long, but bagged 5 pigeons. Zero'd at 50 yards, and the longest shot so far is 70 yards, and used 1 mil dot holdover. A lovely rifle, and a dream to shoot. My only criticism is the bolt is hard to cycle, and you do see fac air short comings at 70 plus yards compared to the .22lr. But having said that, it's to be accepted.... And it's great being able to shoot (if safe) up into the trees. One of the pigeons i hit was at 45 yards, and crikey did it hit it hard! It dropped like a stone, without a single movement.

I did wonder if it was worth the outlay, but not anymore, i'm well chuffed, and it's perfect around the farm buildings.

Jamie.

PS. If not answered yet, I was told i had to put a request in for an fac air mod if i wanted a mod. But i'm sure most quality air rifle mods would do the trick.

I'm moving in the right direction re .25 FAC Air.

I spotted this: https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/air-rifles/daystate/pre-charged-pneumatic/25/wolverine-b-type-170219091043452

I couldn't do with all the twiddly bits on the scope though.

I 'phoned ASI the imported for the FX Crown and they have no idea when this gun might appear in the UK, best estimate was early next year. No good to me.

Any thoughts welcomed.

I have heard that .22 fac pellets over 40 or so ft/lbs starts getting unstable. Having said that, i've used the low 45 ft/lb .22 rimfire rounds, and found the accuracy terrible. Even at 20 yards! But maybe those rounds will suit your gun? They certainly didn't in my gun.

I had the same problem, they were Lapua rounds too.

Horrifically bad grouping at 25 yards, not sure why.

If im honest Whitebridges I would punt for something you can get hold of such as the Daystate when you get your variation trhough. If ASI dont have the FX in stock over here it can be months and months to get one from Sweden. I had an FX Royal on order in .22 FAC and they didnt have any in stock so I was quoted 18 weeks minimum to get one in. In the end I gave up and got a 2nd hand Daystate off a lad on BBS

The thing to remember with fac .25 is that it uses a lot of air getting up to 45 + fpe .

So a large air cylinder is needed .id say you need 250 cc minimum for a decent shot count.

A long barrel and efficent reg also helps .

This is why i went for an fx wildcat .

It has a 300 cc tube and 600mm barrel and very efficient slingshot hammer and reg .

Obviously a bottle gun of 400 cc will be fine but i doybt the stream line has enough air onboard ??

I dont know as havent checked that yet .

Bullpups are in my opinion the best for high power fac .

If im honest Whitebridges I would punt for something you can get hold of such as the Daystate when you get your variation trhough. If ASI dont have the FX in stock over here it can be months and months to get one from Sweden. I had an FX Royal on order in .22 FAC and they didnt have any in stock so I was quoted 18 weeks minimum to get one in. In the end I gave up and got a 2nd hand Daystate off a lad on BBS

Thanks Zetter, The yanks saw the gun here: http://hardairmagazine.com/news/iwa-2017-day-one-new-fx-crown-air-rifle-announced/ This was in March 2017. I suspect FX are concentrating on the US market. ASI can't give me any dates when they might get them so they can do the other thing........ :lol::lol:

The thing to remember with fac .25 is that it uses a lot of air getting up to 45 + fpe .

So a large air cylinder is needed .id say you need 250 cc minimum for a decent shot count.

A long barrel and efficent reg also helps .

This is why i went for an fx wildcat .

It has a 300 cc tube and 600mm barrel and very efficient slingshot hammer and reg .

Obviously a bottle gun of 400 cc will be fine but i doybt the stream line has enough air onboard ??

I dont know as havent checked that yet .

Bullpups are in my opinion the best for high power fac .

Cheers, the bottle on the Daystate .25 Wolverine B Type looks huge. I've heard you can get 70 shots at 44 ft lbs using .25 but I need to check this out.

I'm not a fan of the looks of bullpups but in truth i've never shot one. Why do you say they are the best out of interest?

ive had an itch for an air rifle for a while now and am trying not to scratch it ,but i have had a look and shouldered a brocock bantam .22 FAC,it really is a very nice gun,is power adjustable but not sure what the max killable distance is,would 100yds be to optomistic,also available in .25 may be worth a look wb

Edited by telf

@ Whitebridges, I agree with Ultrastu that bullpup is great for high power air.

The reason imo is that the bullpup design allows for a long air cylinder and barrel, whilst keeping the overall length of the gun within reasonable (usable) limits.

My Bobcat is still quite long, 940mm. The Wildcat measures 890mm. That's without extra shroud, which I think is not necessary at all and would cost another 150 pounds. The rifle is really quiet.

Anyway, with a conventional rifle design, you would probably be able to dispatch a close range bunny by hitting it on the head with your barrel haha.

The Daystate though has a buddy bottle instead of a tube. This means that even with a normal stock, it is not as long as it would be with an air tube. I've looked it up, Wolverine B is 965 mm long.

Looks like a 500cc bottle on there. So a good shot count as well. Unscoped weight 3.7 kg (Bobcat = 3.8, Wildcat = 3.0).

So it's actually a close call. The Wildcat has the advantage to be considerably lighter. Carrying my Bobcat around the field means that I have to spend less time at the gym... On the other hand, being lumpy and heavy, it doesn't move much when rested. Very steady.

Something else: yesterday I was doing some target practice and I noticed that a light wind did affect the .25 pellets shot at 48 FP, from a distance of 40m onwards. There was about half an inch shift both down and to the right. I didn't think that this would be the case. It wasn't me; when the wind lay down an hour later, it was bang on zero again.

Ultrastu, do you recognize this with you Wildcat?

Ps. Making old potatoes explode at 60 meters, that was great fun. Just a haze of potato and 10 small pieces scattered in a circle of 2 meters...

The young crow wasn't a challenging shot, just sat in the tree, but one crow less is one crow less...

post-60018-0-98278900-1495955348_thumb.png

Edited by louisvanhovell

You might find that it was'nt the wind but the problem that all bull pups are prone to .and thats cant .

Its soooo easy to have your gun leant over a bit .this usually manifests its self more at long range .

Ps i dont find wind effects mine untill 50 yds plus and it has to be really blowing

New piece of equipment and very handy with longer range .25 fac shooting: Primos 3 leg shooting sticks. Got me a bunny on my first outing with it; was stalking in the field, no rest around, so I installed the tripod, nice stable platform.

Edited by louisvanhovell

If you can get a 2nd hand fx like the one I linked Whitebridges I would go that route over Daystate personally. I've had both mainly in sub 12 admittedly but have always found the FX a lot better on reliability.

Trouble is really in the .25 it's mainly fx or daystate most of the others tend to be .22 mainly unless you can grab a rapid but they can be risky unless you are confident of the source as a lout get "armature tuned"