Vince Green

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevo

If this is going to turn into a Martin McGuinness bashing thread, it would be best just closing it now.

Why ? Do you really think most are going to sing the mans praises.

If this is going to turn into a Martin McGuinness bashing thread, it would be best just closing it now.

It's inevitable that many people are not going to have a great deal good to say about the man, but as long as the thread remains on track and doesnt descend into a chimpanzees' tea party it can remain open.

A general note to all though, be aware that normal forum rules apply, and that any gratuitous posts will be removed so think before hitting "post" please.

I had no time for him, but it won't be long before someone tries to re-write history and start singing his praises. A bit like the terrorist - Nelson Mandela.

People have very short memories.

Yes,,,the Today program on R4 was telling how underneath the "other" stuff he was kind to his family, kittens and old ladies. Pity it didn't extend any further than that.

Tony Blair put it pretty well on the radio this morning - when people look back over the life McGuinness led, they will draw inspiration for peace not conflict.

I think perhaps Mr Blair was hoping history would judge him the same way...

My first thought upon hearing the news of Martin McGuiness's death, was that the troublous history of Ulster is becoming less and less relevant as each of the principal actors dies.

LS

Not that I agree with the actions of the IRA, but I had it explained in a very interesting way to me.

"If the Germans had ivaded and occupied the mainland UK, what would you be doing today? Would you be doing everything in your power to rid them from your Country?"

It then made me think of the whole mess in a completely different light. Because if the Germans did ivade we would have never given up the fight, we would have done anything to win.

Don't forget that we have occupied Ireland for over 800 years and inflicted some awful atrocities over there.

I'm not glad he's dead. His passing won't right wrongs or give closure to anyone. I remember too well the threat of attacks on the main land, my town was bombed and my father one of the first to attend. What he saw is beyond my comprehension. I've no doubt my dad's generation will be pleased he's gone.