swiss reloading powder .204

Hi guys been reloading the .204 for a while now, problem is I'm now struggling to get my normal powder.

Having spoken to the local gun shops the best option is to go for a version of the swiss reloading powders, always seems to be available and not very hard to source.

Question is does anyone know if one of their powders is suitable as on their website they have no data for .204. Looking at burn rate charts rs40 is the same or very similar to the powders I have been using but I'm not sure if it's as simple as that?

Is there anyone with quickload that could maybe have a look for me? Or maybe has a little bit more knowledge on the subject?

if you go on their web site or to propellants uk, ask in an email with all your rifle and cartridge details, they will happly send you the information from QL. i use the powders in a couple rifles, bit sooty and dont meter very well but using the single base powder, i still get good performances.

Hi guys been reloading the .204 for a while now, problem is I'm now struggling to get my normal powder.

Hi. What is/was your usual powder and what bullet are you shooting? If I knew what powder I could tell you from Q L how it compares to RS40

N130 and N133 go very well in the 204 with the 39gr SBK. The following is for a 204 I did for someone a couple of days ago using the OCW method.

post-20875-0-37161600-1490815467_thumb.jpg

rs powder is exactly the same as reloader from the same factory.which ever rs is = to reloader 10x and there is loads of data for 10x bud

Are you sure as Alliant reloader powder is American and Swiss rs powder is made in Switzerland !!!!!!!

I use Swiss rs powder for 6.5x55 varmint rounds 👍

Thanks for all the replies.

I contacted RS from the contact form on their website, very well hidden away that they would do that so thank you activeviii.

They come back and said RS40 was the powder to go for and provided some info for that. Could I ask dicehorn if it would be possible for you to have a look at what RS50 would be like using a 39 grain sierra BK? Would be nice to compare the 2 powders. I can send you the form they sent me if it would be any help.

They come back and said RS40 was the powder to go for and provided some info for that. Could I ask dicehorn if it would be possible for you to have a look at what RS50 would be like using a 39 grain sierra BK? Would be nice to compare the 2 powders. I can send you the form they sent me if it would be any help.

Comparing RS40 with RS50 with 39 gr SBK I am going to have to assume that the bullets are loaded to SAAMI spec (COL 2.220") and that your chosen case is 30.96 gr H2o weighed. and trim length of 1.843"

RS40 Burn rate .6429 (the higher the number the faster the burn rate is). Assuming 100% fill ratio which = 26.87gr with on ignition 95.93% propellant burnt giving a speed of 3754 fps and a ballistic Efficiency of 19.5% ( you should be looking for something over 20% towards 30% efficiency). This load will give a chamber pressure of 59809 psi compared with CIP max of 58740 psi.

RS50 Burn rate .5120 Assuming 100% fill ratio which = 27.41 gr with on ignition 80% propellant burnt giving a speed of 3290 fps and a Ballistic Efficiency of 15.4% . This load will give a chamber pressure of 42761

Based on the above figures you should be looking at a powder with a burn rate of at least .6300 going up to around .7500

Obviously if your start figures from my first paragraph are different, that will affect the following two paragraphs. You can of course comparing both powders come to the conclusion that RS40 is a better choice even for allowing going a little over 100% fill ratio ..

Peter

Thanks for all the replies guys. Got some RS40 today so will make some loads up and give it a try when I get some time. Sorry dicehorn your info is very much appreciated, but unfortunately this time of year I don't get much time to check or post on the forum because of work. Paying the bills and running a business sometimes takes priority over shooting I'm afraid. Believe me I wish it didn't.