Magpie decoy when shooting crows

Nmb

Planning on shooting some crows at the weekend and know there is a couple of magpies around our ground.

Just wondering whether I could put a magpie decoy out near the crow ones or whether this wouldn't be natural? Also do crows work well on bouncers. I have a few but never used them on crows?

Usually just set out full bodied decoys but having to pull them in from a distance due to calves being in quite a few of the fields at the moment so trying to get some movement to grab their attention.

Any advice would be welcome

Nick

Ps I have a crow flapper but had mixed results.

Edited by Nmb

I find that flappers and whirlys are not worth the effort of setting up when it comes to corvids. It may bring the odd one in but I have often found the results are as good without either of those. Good hide and good pattern, where the crows want to be and you should be onto a winner.

With regards to the magpie decoys I tend to find if you have 3 or 4 you can set a couple up on a hedge or a fence and then put 2 together just off from the crow decoys (but within range) and that tends to get their attention.

Have fun :good:

Yep, never fails if they are around, but be awake, magpies come in quietly from all angles and often are sitting on a post before you see any movement. I usually use two and if I have a rabbit handy I slice it open belly up close by. I've used bouncers and whirlies and peckers for crows, but if you have half a dozen set nice they will come in anyway. Main thing is good cover and keep still till the deed needs to be done.

Cheers for the tips.

We really hit the magpies hard a few years ago and it's only this year we have strarted to see them regularly again so hoping I can hit a few before they multiply again.

I think I'll set up a couple of dozen crows with a couple of floaters to add some movement. There is a really nice sitty tree where I'm planning on setting up so will put a few crows decoys in the tree which might attract some attention. I'll whack a rabbit with the .22 and put the magpie beside it too