Removing catalytic converter

ElvisThePelvis

Supposedly get more power as allows the exhaust gases to get our quicker, plus can put a replacement and nicer sounding exhaust on. The actual removal of the cat wouldn't be the problem it would be the poor fitting of the replacement.

Just a very unfortunate accident and terrible waste of life.

Tragic to see such people losing their lives in this way, but I always thought it was illegal to remove the catalytic converter as it would fail the emissions test (MOT)

Plus does it not make your insurance void unless you notify them about the mod?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the law regarding this will put me right.

A mate had a TVR Cebera that he put straight pipes on after removing the existing with catalytic converters in. He put them back on for the emissions test. It was loud and produced the occasional flame. Pretty sure it's not illegal but stand to be corrected

Edited by digger

More than likely he put a full system on from manifold back and the manifold gasket or downpipe wasn't sealed properly causing the gas to go through the car vents.

I can't see how a leaking underneath exhaust could cause their deaths as it would have to be a huge leak with a huge hole right above it into the cabin which modern cars don't have.?

A mate had a TVR Cebera that he put straight pipes on after removing the existing with catalytic converters in. He put them back on for the emissions test. It was loud and produced the occasional flame. Pretty sure it's not illegal but stand to be corrected

If it's newer than 1993, it's illegal (unless it'd pass an emissions test without the cats)

I think that you will find that the law was changed a couple of years ago making it illegal to remove the catalytic converter on a road going car it will not pass the next MOT or at least that is what I was told on another forum by an LPG installer as the cat is not really needed if you are running on LPG but you still have to keep it.

I think that you will find that the law was changed a couple of years ago making it illegal to remove the catalytic converter on a road going car it will not pass the next MOT or at least that is what I was told on another forum by an LPG installer as the cat is not really needed if you are running on LPG but you still have to keep it.

It is an mot failure to not have a cat fitted but your vehicle can still pass an emissions test without it.

The BBC news site have a video showing the part and it leaking the gas. Basically poorly fitted allowed the fumes to escape into the engine bay, drawn into the fan system and then into the car itself. And they were stationary in the car with wondows shut. Not sure he fitted the new part, think saying he works for ford insinuates it but its not actually said.

The monoxide reader read over 400 and only reads upto 500.

Thoughts are with the two families.

No cat on mine, no emissions test problems either.

The exhaust gas recirculation system is also blanked off.

I'm rather puzzled how they managed to gas themselves like that without cottoning on something was wrong, I had a failing exhaust component venting into the car on an old 2cv and it was not nice. Headachey and nauseous for a day or so after a long drive.