Shoots own website

rimfire4969

Thank you all for your input.

Just to be clear: I don't do Facebook and don't want to.

Website is now on the go.

Good man, have the courage of your convictions and go for it.

I confess I struggle to understand why some people cannot understand that you don't want to use FB, personally I can't blame you for not wanting to use that. I wouldn't choose to use it for what you want to do either.

But the point is that you could join FB under a nick name and give no other information than is necessary to form a group with the other syndicate members (like a specific purpose vehicle).

It strikes me that any website created will have just a wide a reach (and less controls as to who can view it) and will contain the same content anyway.

Love it or hate it, FB has multi billion dollar functionality - which is brilliant for running a calendar or events (with email and SMS reminders) or just down to remembering someone's birthday.

But hey, I would love to see the finished website....

I bet £20 the techy bloke who volunteered to help backs out :lol:

It does massively depend on the age of some of your guns/beaters unless it is easily accessible to all I can't see being workable, I'm only going on my own personal experience in that the majority of the shoots I've been on the members are getting on a bit and have no interest in technology,there more printed piece of Paper and calendar folk, so I say sound out the idea at a meeting first,might go down like a lead balloon!

Edited by Wilksy II

But the point is that you could join FB under a nick name and give no other information than is necessary to form a group with the other syndicate members (like a specific purpose vehicle).

It strikes me that any website created will have just a wide a reach (and less controls as to who can view it) and will contain the same content anyway.

Love it or hate it, FB has multi billion dollar functionality - which is brilliant for running a calendar or events (with email and SMS reminders) or just down to remembering someone's birthday.

But hey, I would love to see the finished website....

I bet £20 the techy bloke who volunteered to help backs out :lol:

I had to chuckle at your first line mung , I bet all the blokes that have joined under an alias , so that their wife didnt catch them , are feeling a bit twitchy right now lol.

Youre dead right about facebook , it can be great for certain things , my view of it got rather tainted when a crazy ex was abusing myself and the kids , I could take the abuse but it broke my heart when the lunatic was messaging my kids on mothers day and saying that she was glad that their mom was dead , the full story would curl your toes.

Im not sure why rimfire is so against fb , but for me it left a very bitter taste in my mouth , and im just not techy enough to keep everything safe on there.

Having said all that , if I needed fb I dare say that I would take another look at it.

I think some people assume that if you sign up for FB you sign up for everything else that goes with it and you immedialty become visbale to the whole world. Whereas what Mungler said is right. Join under an alias and lock it down and you can decide who can and can't access your data.

I think some people assume that if you sign up for FB you sign up for everything else that goes with it and you immedialty become visbale to the whole world. Whereas what Mungler said is right. Join under an alias and lock it down and you can decide who can and can't access your data.

That's too simple.

I need a vehicle that will work on the UK road network and which can take myself and 3 passengers with luggage from London to Manchester. I'm thinking about building a sledge. After all, you won't get a puncture with a sledge!

Not sure if I made myself clear enough, I can purchase the website name for less than £20. One of the guns is a computer boff who works with them every day and builds websites as a side line. The website will be password protected, so you put in the www address when the page comes up you will need a password to access it any further. Once in, various tabs with with shoot dates, work party dates, photos etc.

I don't quite understand why anyone would come across our website and hack it for very little info. We have decided names and address will not be on there.

If facebook is the best thing going how come companies still spend vast amounts of money on websites. I am not completely anti Facebook and I do have a company page and it's fine, but I also have a website and that's great.

So it's all sorted the website is on the go and thank you for the responses.

Not sure if I made myself clear enough, I can purchase the website name for less than £20. One of the guns is a computer boff who works with them every day and builds websites as a side line. The website will be password protected, so you put in the www address when the page comes up you will need a password to access it any further. Once in, various tabs with with shoot dates, work party dates, photos etc.

I don't quite understand why anyone would come across our website and hack it for very little info. We have decided names and address will not be on there.

If facebook is the best thing going how come companies still spend vast amounts of money on websites. I am not completely anti Facebook and I do have a company page and it's fine, but I also have a website and that's great.

It's about using the right tool for the job.

I can fully see why Rimfire is against FB, thing is is wouldn't of stopped at what the shoot wanted it for, soon someone would start posting pictures of a shoot day then linked someone else in to see them, it's how it works and is designed to work, something like a Skype chat room is generally better than FB for this type of thing, glad you got a website sorted mate.

Most big companies have very good Facebook pages now. You can even speak directly to their reps for advice and guidance on purchases.

Merlin Archery and some top gunsmiths I have been able to chat to directly about their products etc.

I hope you don't think we're being rude, but all the things that you've listed you want are easily achievable through a FB page, security, photo sharing, dates of events etc.

Not only that but most people phones are connected to their FB so it sends them an automatic notifications of dates, events etc.

A website is only good if people are regularly checking it.

Also FB is very user friendly, little children and plenty of old fogies are capable of using it!

My worry is that OP said that £20 gets the domain for the year. No mention of SSL, which is £20-100 for the year.

Oh and the site would need to be registered with the ICO, which is another £45 for the year.

Thanks for the input.

I have my own company with a website plus about another 10 web addresses that point to my website so I do know the score. I am not worried about the cost it's all in hand.

I build websites for a living so come up against the website vs Facebook thing all the time. This probably doesn't apply to your particular organisation as you are not really selling a service, but any business that wants to achieve a decent online presence needs a website PLUS a Facebook page. If you want to generate serious traffic you need to reach out via every avenue you can. A FB page would work, but you risk alienating people that don't use or don't want to use FB. A simple website should do the job. Regarding SSL you don't need to pay for it. Some webhosts offer it free using the excellent 'Let's Encrypt' certifcate scheme.