Fostering a spaniel

TaxiDriver

Following my unsatisfactory experience with Dogstrust which I've previously posted about,

I've been considering fostering a dog via Spaniel Aid UK and wondered if anyone has any experience/knowledge of them.

They have a website and Facebook presence if anyone's interested in having a look ?

Edited by TaxiDriver

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, following on,

We registered with Spaniel Aid uk as potential Fosterers and someone from their organisation came and carried out a home check on our property and ourselves and our experience of dogs.

Tuesday just gone we had our first foster arrive, A 4.5yr old Springer, supposedly given up as both adult owners working full time and dog being left unattended to long.

Scroll fwd 24hrs and the dog is sitting on the floor at our feet, Suddenly, completely out of the blue it launches straight up off the floor and attacks my wife's face growling and snarling - full on attack latching onto her right cheek (face)

I kept to her assistance and grabbed the dog which then latched onto my hand and with my other hand round it's neck I'm able somehow to lift the thing bodily out of the patio door and drop it and close the door.

My wife's face is bleeding profusely, my hands likewise with flesh hanging of the side of hand opposite my thumb I manage to phone the ambulance service who turned up fantastically quick, a

Police dog unit attended and secured and seized the dog under the dangerous dogs act and it was taken away.

Both my wife and myself underwent 2.5 - 3hrs surgery on our injuries and have been in hospital 4 nights now

Wow. Hope you're both feeling better. I am deeply suspicious of all dog re-homing charities. There can't be that many dogs that become homeless if they're sound animals and the people that run the charities are blind to the dog's potential faults and too concerned with the "quality" of the people offering a home.

You have to wonder what the dog has been through to make it react like this. you wonder why the previous owners got rid. was it them or is the dog off balance and dangerous. Did the re homing charity know that the dog was dangerous? If so they are playing a very dangerous game. It could have been a child attacked and seriously injured with life changing consequences. None of the spaniels that I have had or known have been aggressive in any way at all. In fact they have all been real softies

that is terrible. hope this has not put the pair of you of keeping another dog. as said above always have my suspicion about rehomed dogs yet to find a decent one took on by people i know. puppies are no fun for the first year you have them but at least you have trust in a dog you have trained. hope you and your wife make a full recovery and are not too shaken by the ordeal

Edited by bumpy22

Although not the same magnitude by a stretch I met and walked a red lab for a few days before taking her on, as soon as the owner left I've never seen a lab so nervous aggressive, she bit me on the hand, went for my daughter.

Needless to say she's gone, and I'm looking for a pup to imprint.

It's terrifying when a dog means proper business, I hope you both recover ok, and find the time and courage to house a better companion.

You have to wonder what the dog has been through to make it react like this. you wonder why the previous owners got rid. was it them or is the dog off balance and dangerous. Did the re homing charity know that the dog was dangerous? If so they are playing a very dangerous game. It could have been a child attacked and seriously injured with life changing consequences. None of the spaniels that I have had or known have been aggressive in any way at all. In fact they have all been real softies

The lab I'm referring to missed my daughters face by inches if I'd not scruffed it to the floor, my daughter was sat on the sofa, and the dog on the floor and just went unprovoked.

If the owner hadn't picked the ******* thing up it'd have been shot that night.

Edited by kyska

The lab I'm referring to missed my daughters face by inches if I'd not scruffed it to the floor, my daughter was sat on the sofa, and the dog on the floor and just went unprovoked.

That's exactly what happened,

I'd been out and walked it on an extendable lead, very pleased generally as I'd been led to believe he pulled like a train, we encountered one or two other dogs and he was well mannered, Got home, sat on the sofa, wife on the other sofa, dog came and sat by our feet (nice we thought, he wants to be near us not hiding away)

All of a sudden it was like a rocket going off, straight up and onto my wife's face

My annoyance is really with Spaniel Aid's attitude which seems to be first concern was to collect the dog from me.

Put it with someone "more experienced"

Much as Ive loved dogs all my life, and was trying to do something positive in fostering one, I honestly don't believe how any sensible individual can want to put people at risk by rehoming this one again. .

How can offer a cast iron garauntee that it won't happen again ?

Edited by TaxiDriver

That was very commendable of you fostering, however these charities only tell you what they think you need to here, the dog obviously had a behaviour problem and they could not tell you of fear of you not taking the dog. This dog should be put to sleep that could have more serious than it was, your wife could of lost an eye, there's no place for spiteful dogs.

That's exactly what happened,

I'd been out and walked it on an extendable lead, very pleased generally as I'd been led to believe he pulled like a train, we encountered one or two other dogs and he was well mannered, Got home, sat on the sofa, wife on the other sofa, dog came and sat by our feet (nice we thought, he wants to be near us not hiding away)

All of a sudden it was like a rocket going off, straight up and onto my wife's face

Poor you, luckily I caught this dog, not that it matters, but it lunged at a 14 year old, that would of been life changing for her in her young years.

I'm also very reluctant about a new dog too, other than a pup.

Hope you're both doing ok.

My annoyance is really with Spaniel Aid's attitude which seems to be first concern was to collect the dog from me.

Put it with someone "more experienced"

Much as Ive loved dogs all my life, and was trying to do something positive in fostering one, I honestly don't believe how any sensible individual can want to put people at risk by rehoming this one again. .

How can offer a cast iron garauntee that it won't happen again ?

It's impossible, I won't rehome again, I've also got a 5 and 2 year old. Your injuries would of killed my youngest lad I reckon.

Really surprised by this thread never really think of gun dog breads being aggressive, my pup is high octane with me but soft as you want with the kid's.

What's the bet this dog had already snapped or bitten someone and they simply didn't tell.

Hope you both recover well and quickly and find another dog to enjoy your lives

What is happening with the spaniel Taxi driver? Stuff like this is always difficult. No one wants a dangerous dog out there that is unpredictable but quite often it is the fault of people who have mistreated a dog and allowed kids to rag the dog about unitl it bites and then all hell breaks loose and the dog gets put down. Even a small dog can be very dangerous and life changing injuries or death can occur very rapidly. there was the case of the little child in the playground only the other day.