223, 55grn vmax and Varget

Not used vmax but with sierra 55gr s/ps using 26.4 grs Varget seated at 2.200 and 400cci primers very accurate producing 3027 fps 0.5mts from muzzle. Deadly Munty load. As always, work up to this load rather than just trying it as it may cause pressure issues in your rifle. Soon to move to Viht as due to supply problems.

I actually agree with Mr Fister, if people are going to start reloading it really is best practice to get a decent book on the subject. You may even find it not only interesting but also educational.

I only read somewhere on a forum recently where someone was shouting from the roof tops about primers possible going off whilst seating. ?

And can I use this powder in this case. ?

How much powder can I put in ?

When will people read reloading manuals and learn WHY the data presented between each varies.

They all use different guns and therefore different barrels, different components, primers and all other ancillary items. Hence different TEST data is produced....

Exactly. Choose which manual you wish to work from and stick with it, then work up the load you are looking for starting 10% below max and often the best accuracy is not the hottest load and the customer will not notice the difference. I have an old Fifth Edition Hornady Manual and have used it for the last 20yrs. Recently used it to run up some test loads for a friend who has a new 308Win and as luck had it that load printed sub moa ...certainly sub muntie :-)

Every barrel will be different wrt pressure/velocity for a given powder, so unless the rifle being used is identical to the test barrel for the load data, you can't expect them to be the same.

Other things which will cause differences given that cases are trimmed to the same length and seating depth is the same include temperature, type/brand of primers used, cases used (volumes differ) and even if the barrel is the same length and uses the same twist rate, how the rifling is formed can sometimes have an effect (eg cut rifling and lapped barrel v's non lapped hammer forged).

You can interpolate between manuals. E.g. You can take the lowest recommended maximum charge and deduct 8 to 10% off this charge to give you a safe starting point if unsure, and work up loads from there. They're just guides. What's safe in one rifle may not be safe in another etc etc.

I recently bought the lee manual and I've read the lot but I have to say that dougy has been an awesome teacher ;) and spent his own time showing me the ropes :)

Reggie gun, lead wasp, fruit loop , Welsh warrior , sparkie etc have all helped me loads.

I find the books don't have the questions I'm asking as such. I've spent hours (20+ easily) searching the web.

Mid counties gun shop has also been helpful.

I find experience is a big helper :)

With thanks to the following for their help answering my question.

55 gn siera, fill to bottom of neck with varget.. not scintific or recommended but worked best for me

I used to use 26.5gr of varget with 55gr vmax, grouped well. Is close to max load so start a little lower. I only changed power when Varget became like rocking horse poo. Use n133 now.

Prefer 52gr A-max & 4895, personally.

Not been able to find Varget near me.

Not used vmax but with sierra 55gr s/ps using 26.4 grs Varget seated at 2.200 and 400cci primers very accurate producing 3027 fps 0.5mts from muzzle. Deadly Munty load. As always, work up to this load rather than just trying it as it may cause pressure issues in your rifle. Soon to move to Viht as due to supply problems.

I recently bought the lee manual and I've read the lot but I have to say that dougy has been an awesome teacher ;) and spent his own time showing me the ropes :)
Reggie gun, lead wasp, fruit loop , Welsh warrior , sparkie etc have all helped me loads.
I find the books don't have the questions I'm asking as such. I've spent hours (20+ easily) searching the web.
Mid counties gun shop has also been helpful.

I find experience is a big helper :)