Predicting the Pigeons

Hur5ty

Over the last 2 weeks since drilling has begun I've been scouting and shooting in different area.

Things I've noticed-

- Hardly and seed laying on fields

- Pigeons mostly feeding on Grassy meadowns

- No days are the same.

- some days they are decoying others they don't want to know.

Has anyone else got any views?

Over the last 2 weeks since drilling has begun I've been scouting and shooting in different area.

Things I've noticed-

- Hardly and seed laying on fields...tight farmers

- Pigeons mostly feeding on Grassy meadowns..wouldn't you after eating cabbage all winter

- No days are the same...tell me about it

- some days they are decoying others they don't want to know...ditto

Has anyone else got any views?

been shooting pigeons for 55+ years and I still don't understand them :no:

My problem is I'm in a club with three plots of land but the nearest is an hours drive, so no opportunity for reconnaissance. Just have to turn up and hope. I've noticed around my areas (Derby, Newark and Melton Mowbray) there is plenty of rape, which seems to get several birds that once scared off are never to be seen again, nothing flighting in. There hasn't really been any drilling yet so the birds I have seen (not on my patch unfortunately) seem to be favouring clover.

It's a ****** really, thinking of giving the NPPC a try, anyone have any thoughts?

My problem is I'm in a club with three plots of land but the nearest is an hours drive, so no opportunity for reconnaissance. Just have to turn up and hope. I've noticed around my areas (Derby, Newark and Melton Mowbray) there is plenty of rape, which seems to get several birds that once scared off are never to be seen again, nothing flighting in. There hasn't really been any drilling yet so the birds I have seen (not on my patch unfortunately) seem to be favouring clover.

It's a ****** really, thinking of giving the NPPC a try, anyone have any thoughts?

And that is part of the problem (plenty of rape) but that can also be a godsend for the pigeon shooter as there are more fields for the pigeons to hit and more opportunities for someone willing to put the effort in and do a lot of door knocking, there is still plenty of shooting out there if you put the effort in, although it does help if you can shoot midweek.

"scared off are never to be seen again" tell me about it, just look on PW and see how many reports of pigeons being shot on winter rape there are and how frequent, chasing pigeons on winter rape can be so frustrating but we keep going in hope.

Joining a club is a good way to get some shooting but finding your own ground/farms to shot over opens more doors.

Good luck and keep knocking doors no matter how many times you are told "no thanks" or "we already have some shooters"

My problem is that around me (which borders on the Peak District) it's pretty much all pasture for grazing, hardly any good arable land. The areas that are good, which are mainly around J29 M1 are all sewn up. The farmers just don't want to know regardless how you approach them. Also the good arable land is around much more densely populated areas, i.e. more folk wanting shooting. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them, unless it's 'sell up and move to Norfolk', which as much as I'd love to do work doesn't allow at present!

And that is part of the problem (plenty of rape) but that can also be a godsend for the pigeon shooter as there are more fields for the pigeons to hit and more opportunities for someone willing to put the effort in and do a lot of door knocking, there is still plenty of shooting out there if you put the effort in, although it does help if you can shoot midweek.

"scared off are never to be seen again" tell me about it, just look on PW and see how many reports of pigeons being shot on winter rape there are and how frequent, chasing pigeons on winter rape can be so frustrating but we keep going in hope.

Joining a club is a good way to get some shooting but finding your own ground/farms to shot over opens more doors.

Good luck and keep knocking doors no matter how many times you are told "no thanks" or "we already have some shooters"