Norfolk is on the drill

deny essex

Deny .... The drilling conditions are as good as you are likely to get in most of Norfolk and no doubt in most other counties as well , when conditions are that good with todays modern drills there is very little sign of the crop they are drilling and when it pull of the field there isn't enough seed left to fill the crop of one pigeon , let alone enough to warrant to set up for .

The only time we get excited now is when conditions are to wet , or the ground is lumpy and the time for putting in that particular crop is getting on a bit , leaving farmers no choice but to crack on and hope for the best then you might see enough seed laying on the surface to make a bag , nowadays this don't happen very often so when it do make the most of it because it might be a while before it happens again . ,

Deny .... The drilling conditions are as good as you are likely to get in most of Norfolk and no doubt in most other counties as well , when conditions are that good with todays modern drills there is very little sign of the crop they are drilling and when it pull of the field there isn't enough seed left to fill the crop of one pigeon , let alone enough to warrant to set up for .

The only time we get excited now is when conditions are to wet , or the ground is lumpy and the time for putting in that particular crop is getting on a bit , leaving farmers no choice but to crack on and hope for the best then you might see enough seed laying on the surface to make a bag , nowadays this don't happen very often so when it do make the most of it because it might be a while before it happens again . ,

Much the same in Essex but it does come together sometimes , always fingers crossed :)

Caught some drilled barley day before I went away to Norfolk just after it had gone in (farmer was still doing an adjacent field), 17 for a few hours and definately many more rusty shots than that taken

hello, quite a lot of blackies on drilled fields i saw today when on my free pass bus journey :lol: but only on the tops that were dry, none on fresh drilled, but then a few more days like today sunny/coldish/ good breeze on lower ground and a fair wind on uppers should see more shooting opportunities :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Been out with the pea drill today, they used the rollers to crush the rock hard crust, then using the latest drill which uses compressed air and rollers to ram the seed down into the ground, then went back over with the rollers to flatten the surface down and hold in what small amount of moisture there is left in the ground, there was not a pea in sight after they finished and any pigeon will need a road drill to get them out, If we get some significant amount of rain to soften the surface there may be a chance of a few corvids and pigeons but I cant see anything bothering with the area until the seed chits and starts showing on the surface, problem is the farm owner wants guns out just in case so we have to show up for what looks like a fairly quiet few days. I'm just hoping there may be a flight line near enough to fool them into coming for a quick look, fingers crossed. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Been around my nearest permission today and though it's been drilled for four days there are only a very few corvids around, no pigeons anywhere to be seen. To be honest it's the best part of an hour's drive to get there and I didn't really see anything on the way there or back.

Where are all the little blighters?????

Hi guys, anyone got any tips for peas and newly drilled OSR? Not had anything other than wheat before, but now 2 of my new perms has drilled the affor mentioned. Fields only had a few corvids and a dozen or so pigeons, so do we need rain or is there a time when the plants are growing that birds attack? Do the flowers attract attention or is it only when the crop ripens? Thanks for any advise

Hi guys, anyone got any tips for peas and newly drilled OSR? Not had anything other than wheat before, but now 2 of my new perms has drilled the affor mentioned. Fields only had a few corvids and a dozen or so pigeons, so do we need rain or is there a time when the plants are growing that birds attack? Do the flowers attract attention or is it only when the crop ripens? Thanks for any advise

If your rape has just been sown you could be in for a treat. Spring sown rape can be a real draw to pigeons, in a few weeks the plants should be a couple of inches tall and any pigeons around should find it.

Pigeons can bother a pea crop from the minute the peas emerge right through they are harvested. Here they seem to be on them May/June {as with motty} and again as the peas come into flower and up till harvest.