Nissan x trail

washerboy

56 plates would be the older model, I have a 57 Aventura Explorer manual 173hp engine. It's a delight to drive on the road, has enough poke to mix it with the reps on the motorway but is equally happy to pull itself along a field at tickover.

It has a bigger boot than a lot of equivalent vehicles which is very important to me. Sun roof is excellent for lamping as it opens almost the whole roof over the front and rear seats.

I have Yokohama Geolandar At/S tyres on mine and it's good for sensible off road use. It's no defender but it has a selectable 4x4 system with the equivalent of a centre diff lock. Clever ABS stops one-sided wheelspin in slippery conditions.

Mine has 140k on the clock and last year had a new boost sensor and EGR valve. It's also had some suspension components and new brake discs, but generally I'm happy with performance and reliability.

I really like it, practical enough for filling up with muddy dogs and dead things but smart enough to take the in laws out for Sunday lunch (after a quick hoover!)

I need a motor that isn't a one trick pony.

Must be large enough to carry two Lurchers , will run 40 miles a day without me having to call the rac out ( no land rovers ) .

Needs to be a high riding vehicle as my wife struggles getting in and out of my old Leon that I got rid of last month

I currently own a new Nissan qashqai but that may have to be moved on .

Can't fault ours- had it two years, T30 model, 2.5 ltr petrol 168hp- stupidity quick for a four wheel drive, very capable suspension, transmission and clearance when off road, huge boot that's hard lined ideal for dogs & dirt, not a days problem in two years apart from needing a battery last winter.

Youd be looking at the T31 going by the year your looking for- that's what I'll be looking for in the next few months when I am replacing it.

56 plates would be the older model, I have a 57 Aventura Explorer manual 173hp engine. It's a delight to drive on the road, has enough poke to mix it with the reps on the motorway but is equally happy to pull itself along a field at tickover.

It has a bigger boot than a lot of equivalent vehicles which is very important to me. Sun roof is excellent for lamping as it opens almost the whole roof over the front and rear seats.

I have Yokohama Geolandar At/S tyres on mine and it's good for sensible off road use. It's no defender but it has a selectable 4x4 system with the equivalent of a centre diff lock. Clever ABS stops one-sided wheelspin in slippery conditions.

Mine has 140k on the clock and last year had a new boost sensor and EGR valve. It's also had some suspension components and new brake discs, but generally I'm happy with performance and reliability.

I really like it, practical enough for filling up with muddy dogs and dead things but smart enough to take the in laws out for Sunday lunch (after a quick hoover!)

Could have written that with just one exception. I got conned and it turned out my '173' was a '150' However, had it Quantum tuned and it's now 'c178'. Well two actually, mine's just coming up to 80k.

Hope they're good. Picking up my 17 plate tekna 4WD on Wednesday.

I want 10 years / 100,000 miles out of it.

Don't shoot the aerial.

I loved my old 2003 X-Trail 2.2 diesel I should not have sold it last year but then that is how I tend to do it every time buy a car spend money and get running really well and sell it on to some lucky ****** for less than I paid for it.

Having said that when it was all sorted it was really good very quiet for a diesel and quite cheep to run good both on road and off not a proper off road car/truck but if all that you want it for is going across muddy fields etc you would be hard put to beat the X-Trail.

I loved my old 2003 X-Trail 2.2 diesel I should not have sold it last year but then that is how I tend to do it every time buy a car spend money and get running really well and sell it on to some lucky ****** for less than I paid for it.

Having said that when it was all sorted it was really good very quiet for a diesel and quite cheep to run good both on road and off not a proper off road car/truck but if all that you want it for is going across muddy fields etc you would be hard put to beat the X-Trail.

Must admit I'm the same

Sold my 03 and got an 07 aventurer, just wasn't as good......big difference in economy but hey ho,

Road tax stops me getting another....£270/year :no:

But if I was to get another one i would look around for a mint 03

:shaun:

A 170 ish BHP in a decent size 4x4 ain't going be anything like quick by today's standards. Quick is 0-60 under three seconds for cars and under 5 seconds for a 4x4 be surprised if a X Trail can better 10 seconds, enough to keep up with modern traffic and not feel like your driving tractor.

The X Trails are quite a good all rounder as they can deal with the sticky off-road stuff.

The outlanders are good in petrol and newer diesels as the older ones are prone to cranks cracking in the Diesel engines.

Edited by figgy

got a 53 plate t30 2.2 dci 4x4 had it 3 years and love it .............yes its only the 112bhp model t30 and not the 136bhp ..............but the 112bhp don't suffer the turbo problems of the 136bhp models. as it is mines fine on the field as well as it is sitting at 70/80mph on the motorway I quite regularly go to visit family in kent [330 miles] and it does it on half a tank .

make sure there are no rattles from the timing chain on start up from cold sumps rot on them but are not expensive to replace

A 170 ish BHP in a decent size 4x4 ain't going be anything like quick by today's standards. Quick is 0-60 under three seconds for cars and under 5 seconds for a 4x4 be surprised if a X Trail can better 10 seconds, enough to keep up with modern traffic and not feel like your driving tractor.

The X Trails are quite a good all rounder as they can deal with the sticky off-road stuff.

The outlanders are good in petrol and newer diesels as the older ones are prone to cranks cracking in the Diesel engines.

Not sure I agree with your figures. 0-60 under 3 seconds? You won't find many cars achieving that on the road. 0-60 under 5 seconds on a 4x4? Very, very few.

buy one, you will not regret it

just sold mine and wish I hadn`t

40 mpg

go anywhere

what more do you want

Bit small?

Not sure I agree with your figures. 0-60 under 3 seconds? You won't find many cars achieving that on the road. 0-60 under 5 seconds on a 4x4? Very, very few.

Bit small?

If you need to carry a stuffed Elephant in the back then it is a bit small but I found with the rear seats folded down there was room for anything that I wanted to carry.

Another good thing about them the spare wheel is located in a well at the back so taking up no room but it is in the dry not stuck underneath or on the rear door.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

• 4 weeks later...

Had a 54 plate petrol for 8 years never gave me any bother I loved it did about 90,000 miles in it. Upgraded to a 13 plate diesel last year also love it however it did cost me 400 to sort a busted window screen wiper motor in the winter. I like the practicality of the xtrail big enough for dogs and gear but not so big it sucks fuel like nobody's. Mines one of the last before they changed shape to the current one which I don't like the y are quite small in comparison boot wise etc. I get about 36 / 38 mpg well it tells me that lol.

Edited by Andra

hello, was looking at one myself to replace my 55 plate dihatsu terios, i do less than 5000 miles per year, only 1300cc yet pay full tax, i dont know much about the Xtrail, do they go in a 1600 cc ? engine. and i like the idea of a pop up back door. cheers

I've had 3, good as gold. What I would say, though, is if that 5,000 is made up mainly of local short trip running then be careful if you get diesel. I'm sorted now, but it does mean wasting fuel with a fastish trip up the motorway every ten days to stop the particulate filter clogging up/warning light on. Don't even think of crawling around the fields after rabbit at night. I get away with it as having shot the same farms for years, I know where the hot spots are and heave to and shoot from the huge sun roof - it makes a damned good mobile semi-high seat.

Bought my 2.2 diesel 136hp 2004 plate approx 8 years ago at 29,000, had one owner and full service history and have now done 137,000 in it. The only major thing that has ever been needed was the fuel pump at a cost of around £800 i was told but was covered on the one dealer warranty it came with when i got it. Apart from usual consumables brakes, tyres and has had couple of sets of front wheel bearings has been no bother and has suited my shooting needs, not a serious mud plugger but good enough for getting across stubbles and tracks if not too wet. As said not huge hatch space but good enough if you put seats down .

atb

7diaw

Has anybody had any turbo problems? It's just that I have heard there can be problems with the turbos and the intercooler As mentioned earlier, I fancy getting one but have heard from a few garages to be aware of possible turbo problems.

You're right. The T31, (I have a 56 plate DCI) does suffer from turbo failures usually around the 90 to 100k mark. They also leak oil, not much from the left bottom corner of the intercooler. Mine had a new turbo just before i bought it at 94k. Not sure regarding the intercooler oil leak reasons, other than the sides of the intercoolers are crimped on and use a cork gasket. You can buy new after market pattern part intercoolers that are seam welded for around £90 to £100 on auction sites, and changing them is a 30 minute job at the most.

I love my XTrail. Good performance for a 4x4 rated vehicle, and oddly enough very good fuel economy. Long journeys are a pleasant drive, even up to 90 mph or so on the motorway. Although i wouldn't do that kind of speed now, as it has very off road bias tyres. And even so, i still get good fuel economy. Although i couldn't give you a figure right now...

I have the SVE, so it's 'fully loaded' as they say. All and all, i'm very chuffed with the vehicle all round.

If i were you i'd look for a new turbo model as looking at the receipt that came with the vehicle, a brand new turbo fitted cost my previous owner nearly a grand!

James.

hello, was looking at one myself to replace my 55 plate dihatsu terios, i do less than 5000 miles per year, only 1300cc yet pay full tax, i dont know much about the Xtrail, do they go in a 1600 cc ? engine. and i like the idea of a pop up back door. cheers

I've had mine for a month / 800 miles. Got the 1.6 turbo diesel.

It cruises at motorway speeds no problem, counting the miles and litres used from receipts (never believe the computer) I've been getting 43MPG.

It's basically a qashqui, with a slightly higher ride with a slightly bigger body all round, the engine is the same as well. Those that have been told to stay clear, have they been told this off uncle bob or is it fact?

Had a qashqui with the same engine for 3 years / 40,000 and it never missed a beat and not shown any signs of age, other than being heavy on front tyres. I'll stick to what I know as fact, which is why we are a 2 Nissan family.