Building control advise

rich1984

We' re in the process of buying a new house, im going to put a single storey extension on the back approx 6m wide and 4m projection, its within permitted developement to be safe im going to send off for the letter saying so from the council. Im struggling to take in whats needed regulation wise, it' ll all be done properly and safely but do i HAVE to have building control out to check it ? As im doing it myself not setting on a builder ? If i do have to have building control out has anybody and feedback on wht theyll check ? Or what fees they charge ? Im in sheffield.

Thought id pick the PW brains before hitting the phone tomorrow .

Cheers

Edited by rich1984

You still have to have building control out, but you can do it on a building notice. Ring sheffield council and speak to them and they'll send you the relevant forms, fill it in, send the cheque and bobs your uncle!! They will want to see the excavation before you concrete. At dpc level, joists if two story. Then at roof height. Finally on completion to sign it off. Then let them have sparkys certificate. Pm me if you need any more help I'm only a few miles down the hill from you 😉

Edited by Delwint

You still have to have building control out, but you can do it on a building notice. Ring sheffield council and speak to them and they'll send you the relevant forms, fill it in, send the cheque and bobs your uncle!! Pm me if you need any more help I'm only a few miles down the hill from you

Very kind offer Delwint thank you, any idea on cost ?

You don't HAVE to have building control round to inspect it but you do have to have it signed off (technically to live in it) but certainly to sell your house in the future. When it comes to getting it signed off you'll have to prove it meets ALL the requirements.

At the very least I would advise getting building control to inspect it at the various stages of the build but better still have a set of plans drawn up showing how the building will be built and get them approved by building control. As long as you build in accordance with the approved plans (and get it inspected) you will be covered when it comes to sign off.

The stages are normally foundations trench (to ensure its deep enough), oversite (to check the depth, insulation and ensure the slab will be thick enough), then lintel height, roof structure and covering, the as long as the wiring is carried out by a part P registered electrician its normally final sign off.

Hope that helps...

Chesterfield is £270 ish then inspection fees.i can give you the number of a private building control officer who is goo and always a call away whatever time of the day/night which is blooming handy. I could let you know exactly in the morning

Get full planning permission, permitted development is a potential minefield, you will get it granted, and its legally watertight forever. This is the advice I was given, and it was good advice.

From a very quick google it seems it only costs approx £170 ish, does that sound about right ? The letter for permitted developement is £80 odd. So for only an extra £100 for it been watertight it may be a valid option.

From a very quick google it seems it only costs approx £170 ish, does that sound about right ? The letter for permitted developement is £80 odd. So for only an extra £100 for it been watertight it may be a valid option.

yes, the cost is only a little more and shouldn't be the issue anyway, I followed the advice and was glad I did, the wait is only a little bit longer for approval, there is nothing like having your property built totally, without any future legality issues. Follow the permission exactly, don't deviate, and liaise with council building control throughout the process, they are very helpful. I don't like permitted development, it feels sloppy to me. :good:

How do you get on with your neighbours? If you apply for full planning they will all be notified and consulted.

Being as your initial enquiry was about building control sign off I would say full planning just delays things, costs more brings further possible complications.

If you are certain your project is within PD and you aren't in a conservation area I would crack on!

If you were erecting a shed would you apply for planning permission? Of course not as this is done under permitted development. I avoid councils like the plague and even if I was only reasonably sure it was with PD would plough ahead and worry about it later. Always have and never had any problems when selling.

If you were erecting a shed would you apply for planning permission? Of course not as this is done under permitted development. I avoid councils like the plague and even if I was only reasonably sure it was with PD would plough ahead and worry about it later. Always have and never had any problems when selling.

My thoughts exactly. Have a read of the planning section on the DIYNot forum and you'll get an understanding of how difficult some council planning departments can be. Some make it up as they go along and I've read several times on that forum that a project that was PD was refused when the owner took it to full planning. Got sorted at appeal but that's the sort of headache I would be looking to avoid.

Comparing an extension with a shed is silly. I have a shed and just put it up. Full planning wont take long, peace of mind is whats important, look around you and see all the building thats being done, its not hard nowadays to get approval. Surprised that people would wish to contradict sound advice for the sake of a few weeks and 80 quid more.

Edited by wandringstar

Just had an extension built, bit of a cowboy builder on some areas but we want for an architect and full plans submission, this now means I can take bob the builder to court as we had a clear approved set of plans and specification for him to work to which he didn't, if I didn't have those specs and plans that were approved by building control it would be an argument about what constitutes a "reasonable standard" of work or the work not being as agreed/described. There are merits to planning and approval as well as downfalls and if you are investing tens of thousands of your hard earned cash I would suggest dotting the I's and crossing the t's as a sensible.move

planning is one thing, building control another. I mistakenly asked for a hipped roof on my project, I was convinced I was having gables, and when it came to building the roof, the chippy said that the plans clearly show a hipped roof, I realised the error, rang the council and they said if you are going from hipped to gable you need to apply for an amendment and pay more, if you were going from gable to hipped then you can just do that without notification, I decided on hipped and it turned out ok, I actually prefer it, point is these were all things I would never have known without full plans.

Having plans is one thing. What you do with those plans i.e. whether you go for full planning permission or not, is another. I always get plans done but don't apply for planning permission if I believe I am within PD rights. Why would I if I don't have to as it is just more money, more time delay and more opportunity for busy bodies to poke their nose in. However, I appreciate that others may operate with a lower risk appetite.

An extension may require both or either Planning Permission (PP) and/or Building Regulations Consent (BRC).

If the extension has a solid roof you will always require BRC. BRC can be obtained from your Council, other Councils or private companies.

There are two differing methods to apply for BRC, either a Building Notice or Full Plans Submission. Basically, the fastest or the safest way.

If you need to apply for PP you might as well submit Full Plans for your BRC as the planning application will take longer.

BRC also has two lots of fees, the application fee and then inspections fee. With the Building Notice you have to pay both lots up front, with Full Plans you only pay the application fee up front and then the inspection fee once you've had your first inspection.

BRC is simply a matter of compliance with a minimum code of safety, planning is a different beast as it requires a judgment of the aesthetics of the extension as well as its potential impact upon neighbouring properties. (N.B. Just because a neighbor objects to an application does not mean it will be automatically refused)

The General Permitted Development Order 2015 is the current correct document to look at, your extension would fall under Schedule 2, Part 1, Class A of the GPDO;

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/schedule/2/made

If your extension falls within the dimensional restrictions of the GPDO it would not require planning permission. BEWARE; some properties, streets and whole estates do not have ANY Permitted Development (PD) rights and any extension or alteration requires PP, regardless of size. As a rule of thumb, properties built after 1992 have a far greater chance of having had their PD rights removed, and if its a new property it is quite likely, but only the Planning Department will be able to confirm for sure, (but if a new property the estate builder SHOULD know). The upside of having your properties PD rights removed is that had your extension ordinarily not required planning permission there is no fee for the planning application.

If your property is detached, a single storey rear extension would not normally require planning permission providing the following criteria are met;

• Its length (the amount it projects off the back of the house) does not exceed 4 metres
  • Its height at eave height does not exceed 3 metres
  • Its overall height does not exceed 4 metres
  • It does not project beyond a side elevation of the house
  • It would not cover more than 50% of the curtilage of the property

For a terraced or semi-detached the above also applies but the length of the extension is restricted to 3 metres.

Your Councils planning department will operate a 'pre-application' enquiry system where you fill in a basic form, giving the dimensions of the extension and they'll tell you whether the extension needs PP (and BRC) or not. Some Councils charge for this service, some don't. Even if you are sure your extension fits within the PD criteria AND your house has PD rights, I would strongly recommend you go through the enquiry procedure to get something in writing stating it does not need PP as when you come to sell the house you will run into all kinds of trouble trying to sort it out against a completion deadline.

Do NOT automatically believe builders that you don't need PP unless they have submitted an enquiry on your behalf and show you the response (get a copy). They have a vested interest in telling you its fine, but you'll be on your own when an enforcement officer comes knocking or you can't sell your house.

Edited by Breastman

Both times I have had building work done the local planning dept. And building control both have an afternoon walk in service where you can pop in and have a free informal talk with them about any plans or concerns you have, a service I have found very usefull to put any worries or questions about your planned project to rest

As a builder myself,i would say you have had correct and informative advise from the pigeon watch massive.

Personally, we go private firm to provide b/regs and they would confirm in writing that no planning perm is required if this is the case,which it does seem like it from what you have said.

Always admire people who build it them selves,that is the ones that turn out ok :hmm:

yes, the cost is only a little more and shouldn't be the issue anyway, I followed the advice and was glad I did, the wait is only a little bit longer for approval, there is nothing like having your property built totally, without any future legality issues. Follow the permission exactly, don't deviate, and liaise with council building control throughout the process, they are very helpful. I don't like permitted development, it feels sloppy to me. :good:

I cant just understand what you mean by this.

I cant just understand what you mean by this.

I think ive explained why I feel like that in other posts, full planning is as easy to get as PD, full planning is not open to any interpretation or future legal challenges, its the belt and braces if you like..........its what I was advised by a very experienced planner, and it sat well with me. Is that ok now? :good: