FAC variation form. Employers details?

I've just sent off my certificate to add three extra firearms. I currently own two rimfires and a .357 Rossi lever action. Hopefully I can upgrade from small bore to full bore and have asked for: 7.92 Mauser, .308 and 7.62 Mosin. I have joined three Home Office approved clubs, inc NRA and jumped through all the hoops etc. Fingers crossed for me. A couple of things though...

I've noticed they ask for your employers contact details including number, email etc. Do they contact employers? Why do they need that info? Also, I've noticed that Home Office guidance states that 'good reason' can be target, vermin, etc but your local Chief
Officers are able to exercise discretion over what constitutes a good reason, judging each case on
its own merits. So does this mean that your CO can basically decide for themselves what is or isn't good reason? So they could basically decide that casual target shooting is not 'good reason' to own a full bore firearm and decline you the extra slot? Maybe I'm over analyzing things but I'm sure I remember hearing about recent new legislation that gave local Chief Officers authority to be pretty much a law unto themselves on these matters. Thoughts?

I think your over thinking your variation.

There are loads of people out there with full bore for target shooting, what makes you think that you are any different?

Im shore you will be fine in applying for these.

How long have you had your licence for? Sometimes the length of time including ammo purchases plays a part.

Atb

I think your over thinking your variation.

There are loads of people out there with full bore for target shooting, what makes you think that you are any different?

Im shore you will be fine in applying for these.

How long have you had your licence for? Sometimes the length of time including ammo purchases plays a part.

Atb

I never suggested I'm any different. Although I do have mild aspergers which perhaps I could have mentioned in my original post. It didn't affect my granting of a FAC so hopefully this shouldn't be too different. As the title suggests, I'm curious to know why they ask for employers details. Why ask for them unless they consider contacting them and why would they? I've had my certificate since last August.

Edited by Pointy Hat

I never suggested I'm any different. Although I do have mild aspergers which perhaps I could have mentioned in my original post. It didn't affect my granting of a FAC so hopefully this shouldn't be too different. As the title suggests, I'm curious to know why they ask for employers details. Why ask for them unless they consider contacting them and why would they? I've had my certificate since last August.

my friend asked for full bore and he had his licence for under 12 months, his Feo asked him to gain more experience with rim fire before he went on to centrefire. His variation was rejected.

my friend asked for full bore and he had his licence for under 12 months, his Feo asked him to gain more experience with rim fire before he went on to centrefire. His variation was rejected.

Then your friend should have complained most vigorously to his Chief of Police.

Because, quite frankly, his FEO obviously didn't understand the demonstration of good reason by a target shooter.

As far as I'm aware there's no Home Office requirement for a certain amount of time to pass on holding a FAC before full bore will be considered. They ask that you have undergone mentoring, I believe, and gain a shooters certificate. I have completed a assessment course with the NRA using full bore rifles and got my shooters certificate from them, so there hopefully shouldn't be an issue.