Hilux Lift Kit

walshie

I'm thinking of putting a lift kit on my Hilux. I don't want it looking like bigfoot as i'll probably only change the tyres for A/Ts or similar.

I believe there is a few different ways to lift them using springs/shocks/clamps/shackles etc.

Would a 2" lift require new brake lines and so on?

Is it worth buying a kit to do it or take ti to someone? Who makes the best kits?

Cheers.

There's two different main ways to lift a hilux, as you've said, a body lift or a suspension lift.

A body lift is generally cheaper to do but requires a bit of fiddling. The gear leavers can foul on the body, the fuel filler pipe will need extending, the steering rod may need an extension, the cowl around the fan for the radiator will need modifying or removing, the brake lines should be okay as the hard lines have coils in then which extend when you lift.

A suspension lift is usually more expensive and if the kit doesn't drop the front diff, it can create some dodgy CV angles. You may need extended brake lines for this but there's a few places that do nice stainless steel braided ones.

There is a third way to fit bigger tyres which I did. There's a fabricator down in Somerset who's done a few like mine now where he will fit the bigger tyres and then just cut and re weld the areas where the tyres come into contact with the body work. I have 33" tyres with no lift, so no annoying mods and no dodgy cv angles.

Not an MOT issue but larger tyres will give better MPG and acceleration. Noticably so.

? Higher gearing so maybe more MPG but definitely worse acceleration.

Not sure i understand how much lift you are getting with the tyres. I have 15 inch rims and standard tyres if I increased diameter 2" I have only lifted the diff 1". So to lift l200 by 2"-3" then you are adding 4"-5" diam on a 15" rim? Is that right?

My L200 came with 205/16" and i bought a set of 15" Ford Ranger alloys with 31.5-10.5X15" mud terreains and it is now perfect for my needs. I'm not getting into any internet incoming critisism but that vehicle is now noticably higher and better on and off road with the lift without looking stupid.

You do not say what year it is if it was me I would opt for 2" extended springs and shocks not cheap but it gives you plenty of room to put larger tyres if you want to and a 2" lift should not cause any problems with break pipes etc.

It's a mk7. Not the new shape. the one before.

The only advantage you have with a lift is bigger wheels which gives you the extra clearance!! If you lift you will need more articulation which leads to new high lift suspension! Then all the angles change and put stress on joints, and they wear very very quickly!!

The standard height of pick ups and landrovers are more than enough unless you are going extreme off roading.

I have been in loads of lifted 4x4s and that coupled with big trees makes for a horrible ride, if it's a dedicated play toy I can see the advantage but as a daily driver they are like driving a boat!!

The best compromise as I said earlier is bigger tyres. Have a look on google at the tyre size calculator that will give you an idea of speedo readings.

To get a proper 2" lift the tyres need to be 4" bigger which changes the characteristics of the drive. I personally wouldn't lift, from the driving I have done a set of larger muds worked wonders and didn't have to play about with the props.

? Higher gearing so maybe more MPG but definitely worse acceleration.

Not sure i understand how much lift you are getting with the tyres. I have 15 inch rims and standard tyres if I increased diameter 2" I have only lifted the diff 1". So to lift l200 by 2"-3" then you are adding 4"-5" diam on a 15" rim? Is that right?

Smaller rolling radius equals faster acceleration but a slower top end. My fiesta sport will do 60 at 3grand but it gets there pretty quick out doing a lot of faster cars :lol: that's on 13s instead of 16s. Handles better, lowers it marginally and goes like a scoulded cat until about 100 or so. On private tracks obviously... 🙄 just need my omex rev limiter with launch control now :lol: :lol:

Walshie, just go the bigger tyre route otherwise it could become a pain in the future. Seen it done many a time and as a road car people get bored of it pretty quick because they ain't a good drive :)

Edited by Hendrix's rifle

Bigger tyres wont increase MPG, it'll decrease if anything. Engine has to work harder to turn the bigger wheels/tyres and the weight as well.

I think for a mk7 you might just get away with 31" without any modifications.

Edited by Cyrus1988

Bigger tyres wont increase MPG, it'll decrease if anything. Engine has to work harder to turn the bigger wheels/tyres and the weight as well.

I think for a mk7 you might just get away with 31" without any modifications.

Looking online I see the standard 265/65 r17s already on it are 30.5", so wouldn't that be raising the ride height by only 1/4"?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick entirely?

Smaller rolling radius equals faster acceleration but a slower top end. My fiesta sport will do 60 at 3grand but it gets there pretty quick out doing a lot of faster cars :lol: that's on 13s instead of 16s. Handles better, lowers it marginally and goes like a scoulded cat until about 100 or so. On private tracks obviously... just need my omex rev limiter with launch control now :lol: :lol:

Walshie, just go the bigger tyre route otherwise it could become a pain in the future. Seen it done many a time and as a road car people get bored of it pretty quick because they ain't a good drive :)

Think I am confused :lol: I thought we were talking about bigger tyres to give lift hence larger radius so gearing going the other way. The example of your fiesta is smaller radius not larger.

Walshie you are correct going from 30.5 to 31 would give 1/4 increase

On diameter 1/2 overall but on radius 1/4

Seems a very expensive way to life everything 1/4". Back to the drawing board I think.

Or forget it and get myself a new scope...... :hmm:

If you going to do a lift you have to go the full hog and that's brakline extendions , steering damper, correction bushes.I had a Jimny lifted 5inches and it was a pain to insure.Wasnt so much the price,it was most insurance comp wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.You also have a limited buyers market when you try and sell it on & if it's not lifted properly then you'll be stuck with it.

No fun on road but boy if it's done right you will have so much fun off road to the point where you will push the boundaries and end up eventually getting stuck (and it's usually 2am in the morning) not the best time to ask the farmer to bring a tractor out lol.

Edited by Davyo

If you going to do a lift you have to go the full hog and that's brakline extendions , steering damper, correction bushes.I had a Jimny lifted 5inches and it was a pain to insure.Wasnt so much the price,it was most insurance comp wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.You also have a limited buyers market when you try and sell it on & if it's not lifted properly then you'll be stuck with it.

No fun off road but boy if it's done right you will have so much fun off road to the point where you will push the boundaries and end up eventually getting stuck (and it's usually 2am in the morning) not the best time to ask the farmer to bring a tractor out lol.

:lol::good:

It is a very expensive task if done properly. A simple 2" lift most people do is only a body lift.

Unless you plan on properly going off road with it your money would be better spent on either driving lessons or pay and play days.

You would learn properly how to tackle mud and be amazed on how a stock vehicle will perform if correctly driven.

Stick a set of bfg's on and go have some fun

Edited by R1nut