Serendipitous.

JDog

By Thursday I had done 400 miles looking for decoying opportunities. Specsavers can't help if there are none to see.

On Thursday afternoon I took Jasper out and saw a line across a barley drilling. I watched for an hour and it looked good, so good that I contacted Mightymariner to see if he wanted to come out with me on Friday morning. It was just as well that he decided to stay at home polishing his new Landrover as I never saw a pigeon. I returned that afternoon and still never saw a bird.

However on the way home with clean barrels I saw 300 pigeons on drilling. Last year I met someone in a gateway to the same field watching for pigeons and we exchanged numbers but I have not seen him since. I texted him to say that there were pigeons on his land.

This morning he called to say that he was on his way there and if there were pigeons would I like to join him. Being only five miles away from where I was sitting looking into a bright blue sky devoid of pigeons I was there like a shot when he called. He had already set up by the time I got there and I joined him in his hide and we took turns to shoot. There were indeed several hundred pigeons and the odd one peeled away from the main lot and came into the decoys.

We noticed that the line went elsewhere and after an hour or so I asked him if I could go and stand along a line of beeches where the birds were heading to keep them moving to which he readily agreed. I shot for two hours on the line and he stayed where he was and together we had some good sport. We picked forty nine and a half pigeons, the half compliments of a female sparrow hawk which had taken the head and **** out of one which fell out of sight.

Edited by JDog