Pheasy and hawks

iano

We have been away for a few days, and came back to find a cock pheasant sunning himself outside our of French doors this morning. He took off into the fields.

About an hour later, we could see a large hawk circling over our place, and much higher up we could see three other hawks.

They were cruising around and then started diving into a wooded area next door.

Would the hawks have been chasing the pheasant? We have never seen any pheasants here before.

Kites or Buzzards? hawks don't normally group in flight (riding the thermals)

Where I used to shoot we has 2pairs of buzzards nesting and after the young fledge they would often ride the thermals in a small group 3/4 max.Ive never witnessed one take a pheasant before or found any evidace at either the nest site or the know sitting poles,

I have watched a Buzzard hunting English Partridges very early one morning whilst waiting for geese.

Where I used to shoot we has 2pairs of buzzards nesting and after the young fledge they would often ride the thermals in a small group 3/4 max.Ive never witnessed one take a pheasant before or found any evidace at either the nest site or the know sitting poles,

So this is the next of it.! First we had Shottie's and now Pheasy's :no: What next Carty;s for Cartridges or Pidgys for pigeons :lol:

I appreciate you are new to shooting but are you also new to the country.? Either way if you intend to take up shooting seriously it would do no harm to take a interest in the birds of the countryside as birds of prey ect are what make up part of the enjoyment of it all. In fairness I suppose that is what you are doing by asking the question in the first place.

Like the man above said and I'd be pretty sure what you have seen are Buzzard's soaring and like most birds right now are concentrated on pairing up and nesting. Buzzards main quarry are Rabbits and small mammals rats ect although lately they have been taking crow's and will also eat carrion.

I'm pretty sure after your 'pheasy' was disturbed he would be Skulking in some dense cover and would be safe from the Buzzard's. Im not 100% sure a buzzard wouldn't take an Adult pheasant but are renowned for taking poults.

I don't know any shooters other than clay shooters that haven't or don't take an interest in wildlife.For a quarry shooter some knowledge is vital,for example what happens if you are shooting ferels that decoy into your pattern that has a stock or rock dove amongst them?

As far as the ops knowledge,I don't know but the 'phesy' ,well that's just ones terminology,the same as 'shotty' or rimmy.I'd rather a shotgun be called a 'shotty' as opposed the word 'weapon ' which is what I hate to hear any gun called other than when a gun is used in combat.

Edited by Davyo

The person I was with said they were hawks, I took her word at it. One was on its own, the other three were hanging about a lot higher.

We've never seen any pheasants in the area before, there isn't there cover for them so we were wondering if there was a connection between the two birds.

I don't know any shooters other than clay shooters that haven't or don't take an interest in wildlife.For a quarry shooter some knowledge is vital,for example what happens if you are shooting ferels that decoy into your pattern that has a stock or rock dove amongst them?

As far as the ops knowledge,I don't know but the 'phesy' ,well that's just ones terminology,the same as 'shotty' or rimmy.I'd rather a shotgun be called a 'shotty' as opposed the word 'weapon ' which is what I hate to hear any gun called other than when a gun is used in combat.

Sure - which is why I won't shoot anything that I'm not 100% what it is.

So this is the next of it.! First we had Shottie's and now Pheasy's :no: What next Carty;s for Cartridges or Pidgys for pigeons :lol:

I appreciate you are new to shooting but are you also new to the country.? Either way if you intend to take up shooting seriously it would do no harm to take a interest in the birds of the countryside as birds of prey ect are what make up part of the enjoyment of it all. In fairness I suppose that is what you are doing by asking the question in the first place.

Like the man above said and I'd be pretty sure what you have seen are Buzzard's soaring and like most birds right now are concentrated on pairing up and nesting. Buzzards main quarry are Rabbits and small mammals rats ect although lately they have been taking crow's and will also eat carrion.

I'm pretty sure after your 'pheasy' was disturbed he would be Skulking in some dense cover and would be safe from the Buzzard's. Im not 100% sure a buzzard wouldn't take an Adult pheasant but are renowned for taking poults.

Thanks for that mate(y). Next time I want to know the socially acceptable name for something I'll call you.

Mmm..You took that well.! Seems your humour detector isn't switched on either. Not to worry as it's no skin off my nose.

I have no problem helping people If I know the answer but just to save you the bother of making a call' Don't Bother" as with an attitude like yours You wont be getting anymore Info or help from me .

Good luck with your "Pheasy's and Hawk's" :rolleyes: