Reloading 308

Earlier on I started cleaning and preparing 50 .308 cases for reloading. Hour in the tumbler, full length resize and decap (as my mate gave me some and I wasn't sure which were his and which were mine), another hour in the tumbler to remove the lube, trim case length, chamfer neck, brush inside neck, clean primer pocket, insert primers with the hand primer and put them in a box ready for bullets and powder tomorrow.

Hmmm....

post-50882-0-08712200-1490735947_thumb.jpg

The stranger is a 243 which explains how I managed to prime it, but doesn't explain how I resized and decapped it or trimmed the length. Must have got swapped sometime after I did that, but I don't even shoot 243. :hmm:

Edited by walshie

There is no way that case has passed through a resizing die of any of the types I know about.

If using a collet neck sizer the mandril would just not go in that neck (I often use 243 as doner cases for 7mm08)

If using a full length sizer the button on the decapping pin would expand it out to the correct 308 size.

What dies are you using?

how did you trim to length as most pilots will also not go into the neck!

There is no way that case has passed through a resizing die of any of the types I know about.

If using a collet neck sizer the mandril would just not go in that neck (I often use 243 as doner cases for 7mm08)

If using a full length sizer the button on the decapping pin would expand it out to the correct 308 size.

What dies are you using?

how did you trim to length as most pilots will also not go into the neck!

I know. They were all full length resized as the brass came from various sources and I use the Lee case length trimmer and gauge so as you say it wouldn't have gone through the neck.

My only thought is that it must have got in the mix somewhere between resizing and priming. i don't shoot 243 so I have no idea where it came from unless I picked it up at the range. My guess is that it was in the tumbler? I'll retrace my steps today and if I find a nice shiny 308 case somewhere, it'll give me a clue.

No harm done in this instance, but it shows it's important to check.

Edited by walshie