Crows

blankfirer

I shoot a good few crows like smokersmith you'll need a very good hide, one that blends in to fence line not in front of it.

I use stuffing out of an old pillow instead of sheepskin it works, if you are using sheepskin or rabbit you will only need four decoys round it and a couple of lofted decoys works a treat, the very best of luck to you.

I generally find the corvids are most active and most interested first thing in the morning when they are first out and about. If you have a good pattern set up and a good hide (and keep very still) you stand a good chance.

The other key is being set up in the right place. Watch where they are feeding and what they are feeding on and then pick a good spot. If they are active around or on a farm yard watch which flight line they are using and then set up in a suitable spot along this (not always easy to set up in the middle of a yard with all the concrete and buildings).

Using dead birds in the pattern can help but I use about 18 full bodied decoys so if they come in well I tend to remove the dead birds. Having 2 or 3 decoys out when you have been seeing 40 or 50 together is likely to cause the crows to wonder what is going on and avoid the pattern.

Good luck, practice will make perfect so get out and enjoy yourself. I have to admit that I love the challenge of shooting crows. They are unpredictable, come in from all directions and come in at different speeds so make for some good shooting. I have had a couple of 100 + days over the years (small numbers compared to some) and they will live in my memory for a long long time.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW this is my track record. 98, 18(step sons training day) 35 and 67 are the numbers taken over the last 4 shooting days.

I watch what they are on and set up at around 1030-1100 for a full day with 12 full body flock coated decoys plus a pecker on a random timer. I usually add a couple of pigeons off to one side. The hide is properly camouflaged, not the "stands out like a sore thumb" variety. I stay well hidden with a face mask if needed. Pay attention to the sun. Try to be in the shade if you can with dense foliage to the rear. Stay below the netting. It stops them seeing into the hide as they come in. Do not move until the bird is within your kill zone then just get on it quick, before the aerobatics start. I find that 30grm. #7 with 3/4 and full choke will fold them up like a pack of cards. I hate to add...so will 28grm 7.5. ;) I add the dead to the pattern and tidy the pattern every time a crow is on its back. I find it scares them off if you don't. I do this until I have a good size of about 30 or 40, then just pick up either the decoys or the dead. I also call the wary ones in with a caller. With a bit of practice you can get them in from their original flight path from a considerable distance.

If it gets quiet, have a snack or a cup of tea, that instantly brings in several at once. ;)

Have fun...enjoy.

Atb

Edited by achosenman

FWIW this is my track record. 98, 18(step sons training day) 35 and 67 are the numbers taken over the last 4 shooting days.

I watch what they are on and set up at around 1030-1100 for a full day with 12 full body flock coated decoys plus a pecker on a random timer. I usually add a couple of pigeons off to one side. The hide is properly camouflaged, not the "stands out like a sore thumb" variety. I stay well hidden with a face mask if needed. Pay attention to the sun. Try to be in the shade if you can with dense foliage to the rear. Stay below the netting. It stops them seeing into the hide as they come in. Do not move until the bird is within your kill zone then just get on it quick, before the aerobatics start. I find that 30grm. #7 with 3/4 and full choke will fold them up like a pack of cards. I hate to add...so will 28grm 7.5. ;) I add the dead to the pattern and tidy the pattern every time a crow is on its back. I find it scares them off if you don't. I do this until I have a good size of about 30 or 40, then just pick up either the decoys or the dead. I also call the wary ones in with a caller. With a bit of practice you can get them in from their original flight path from a considerable distance.

If it gets quiet, have a snack or a cup of tea, that instantly brings in several at once. ;)

Have fun...enjoy.

Atb

As above but to add I've been using a couple of ff5flappers with jackdaws on , really pulled the birds of the flight line .

• 4 weeks later...

Instead of going to the trouble of the sheepskin,try a split rabbit,or mock up a nest on the ground and stick half a dozens chickens eggs in it with a crow decoy stood over them :good:

Best days on corvids require a early start,you need to get out and set up before daylight :yes: top net your hide,and keep your shooting range sensible.I also find where I shoot, the birds decoy well first thing then its like someone has turned the tap off late morning until early afternoon then they start to decoy again :good: BB

Another productive way to shoot them is,find where they roost and get under the flightline and shoot them coming from/going to roost

Edited by Bluebarrels

Instead of going to the trouble of the sheepskin,try a split rabbit,or mock up a nest on the ground and stick half a dozens chickens eggs in it with a crow decoy stood over them :good:

Best days on corvids require a early start,you need to get out and set up before daylight :yes: top net your hide,and keep your shooting range sensible.I also find where I shoot, the birds decoy well first thing then its like someone has turned the tap off late morning until early afternoon then they start to decoy again :good: BB

Another productive way to shoot them is,find where they roost and get under the flightline and shoot them coming from/going to roost

This ^^^^^^

And a old stuffed fox works for me

Any ideas regarding crows tried a few decoys they don't come near I was thinking of buying a sheepskin rug to use as a dead lamb but there is no sheep were I shoot they seem very clever any ideas

hello, steve b wales had a good idea on crow and magpie decoying, dummy chicken eggs and nest? do a search

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• 3 weeks later...

Set up where they want to be, before daybreak and have a great hiding spot.

That combination has never failed for me.

Agree on the spot where they want to be and good hide, my pb if 132 mixed blacks came from barley 5 full bodied decs on canes no hide just a stool in barley birds didn't give a **** about me more interested in feeding that day but that's the one and only time that's happened in 10 years of shooting them