Kitchen Knives

Cosd

I have just read some old posts but there isn't anything here outside of a few years old.

What kitchen knives would you recommend? is it still the same contenders of Global, Wusthof, Robert Welch and the like?

I've never had a "great set of knives and now that we are fitting a new kitchen I'm looking at dumping loads that i have to get a a few decent ones that I'll use.

Edited by Cosd

i have given up with expensive kitchen knives now............i have invested in a good shapener...and im using old eating knives made in sheffield in the pre-war....just shape them on the grinder...jobs a gooden....and a couple of strokes thro the sharpener...they are leathal.......its the type of sharpener you would never use on a good expensive knife......

i have given up with expensive kitchen knives now............i have invested in a good shapener...and im using old eating knives made in sheffield in the pre-war....just shape them on the grinder...jobs a gooden....and a couple of strokes thro the sharpener...they are leathal.......its the type of sharpener you would never use on a good expensive knife......

I have done this too. Wickedly sharp

Wusthof a family member is a chef and he has a few. Only knife he will use but did say don't buy loads three will do all you need small pairing knife a chefs knife 8" and a larger filleting comebread knife are the main ones.

As others have said a good old bone and stainless Sheffield steel knife takes some beating. I have a Carving set from my long deceased grandparents and just keep sharpening it.

Boot sales and charity shops are best places to fund them.

Global knives are not as good as once were.

I am a chef I now use ceramic knives lighter in the hand and omg they're like razors

I bought a few and found they chipped badly and were a pig to reshape pen on a diamond honing plate. Bits of grit and soil in salad were the worst offenders.

My wife and daughter ruin the edge of knives cutting on granite and dinner plates, so I now buy cheap ikea Ines and just sharpen every time I use one.

I find the handle of a knife more important than the blade, nothing worse than not being able to grip them properly or getting cramp trying.

Edited by figgy

I bought a few and found they chipped badly and were a pig to reshape pen on a diamond honing plate. Bits of grit and soil in salad were the worst offenders.

My wife and daughter ruin the edge of knives cutting on granite and dinner plates, so I now buy cheap ikea Ines and just sharpen every time I use one.

I find the handle of a knife more important than the blade, nothing worse than not being able to grip them properly or getting cramp trying.

That's why F&F use the pointed end design, apparently stops you getting cramps. (Personally never got a cramp with a knife though, I just remember the owner telling me about how important balance was and then how the sloped design stops the cramp

My 10 yr old Globals are still fantastic knives. Now I have the other half trained not to bang them in the dishwasher they are in better nick. Bought a decent stone and can now get them as sharp as I could possibly need. Also have a nice Victorinox Cleaver that is great for any tough jobs. I hear some saying the Globals are not as good anymore, but they would still be my first port of call if I needed a replacement. There are better out there for sure, but still a decent knife non the less.

Surely being a good cook is about food knowledge and what ends up on the plate rather than what knife someone uses to cut the odd bit up with. Yeah it is great to have and own a pair of Purdy shotguns that look fantastic, are great pieces of engineering made from the finest materials but you have to be able to use them. Nobody years ago had blocks of custom knives with fancy names and prices. It was just a collection of odds and ends. The wife has some good knives but her main knife is a small non descript knife that she does the veg with. It isn't even sharp but she cuts carrots into slices in her hand faster than a machine. I offered to sharpen it for her but she said that I was to leave it alone or she would cut herself on it.

Glass and Granite chopping boards.

Which knobber invented those?

Why dont folk think what is happening to their expensive knifes.

My late Grandmother had big cheap Bread knifes, they were sharpened on the window sill in the back yard. When the house was sold the new owners had to replace the sill after 60 odd years of sharpening it looked like old steps,a third gone.

She never owned a board, she held the loaf under her arm when cutting slices off.

I still miss her.

had my globals for several years now and despite being trained as a butcher when i was young(30 years younger) i was struggling to get a decent edge on them with a steel, brought a chefs choice 110 electric sharpener from amazon and now i could use them to shave with, to be fair i think the electric sharpener would put a razor edge on any old knife i had in under a minuite, highly reccomended bit of kit regardless of what knives you may have or want to buy