High bird 20 bore

For a 20b shooting 28g, you should really be looking a 6 and full choke to have pattern and energy to 45 yards.

No5 and bigger won't pattern sufficiently beyond 40 yards at 28g and you are looking at patchy patterns which will bring down birds but will not be consistent due to the lack of pellets with a higher ratio of pricked birds.

For a 20b shooting 28g, you should really be looking a 6 and full choke to have pattern and energy to 45 yards.

No5 and bigger won't pattern sufficiently beyond 40 yards at 28g and you are looking at patchy patterns which will bring down birds but will not be consistent due to the lack of pellets with a higher ratio of pricked birds.

I beg to differ! The below has 27g #5 patterned at 30yds with an IC choke

https://www.testshot.net/shotgun/pattern/2696

40 yds with #4.5 an IM or Full choke are more than achievable and, most importantly deadly

I beg to differ! The below has 27g #5 patterned at 30yds with an IC choke

https://www.testshot.net/shotgun/pattern/2696

40 yds with #4.5 an IM or Full choke are more than achievable and, most importantly deadly

Should pattern about 83% at 25, so is actually patterning at 91%, 9% better than theory.

Assuming 40 yards this would equate to 79% at full choke if the pattern holds with tighter chokes so 147 pellets so not too shabby, however at 45 this becomes 126 pellets and at 50 yards 108 pellets.

The equivalent for no 6 at 40 yards full choke (in theory for commercial load) is 28g 186, 45yds 156 and 50 yds 130.

For pheasant i like to see 150 pellets for a clean kill, hence my comments above

Edited by Stonepark

Continental shooter. A couple of points about that pattern. Firstly, that is from a homeload. Second, it is only at around 27.5 yards. Hardly shows any high bird capabilities.

yeah fair enough, you could see it like that, and you'll probably be right :)

For someone who's seen 1000's of patterns it's easy to guesstimate what the pattern would look like 13 yds further away with a full choke.

I'll see if i can find a better pattern :good: