16 Gauge Cart Recomendations

2 hours ago, busbiter said:

Sounds about right! 

Radcliffes is less than a mile from my house, last time I went in they only had High Phesant in stock but that was a fair while ago to be honest. When they were in town (back in the day) I did buy winchester and eley in 16g but not sure what else they stock these days. Loved a trip to radcliffe's, the old shop in town was like a gold mine! 

I've only been in there a couple times, nice old boy to have a chat with, mallard barn in whatisham is my closest, Keith's a top bloke, can't fault him on price or advice. I'll come back with whatever they tell me tommorow, gonna have them sent to jimmy's farm should they actually be able to get some save driving all the way back to clarkes. 

Edit - Keith who runs the countryside department in clarkes is a decent bloke to, usually only deal with him but he wasn't about Saturday. 

Edited by Farmboy91
Added info.

• 1 year later...
On 31/03/2018 at 12:25, Farmboy91 said:

Bringing this one back from the dead.... 

What's the realastic cost on setting up to exclusively load 16 bore? 

I had a mix of eley grand prix 5,6,7's a box of Winchester carts and a box of Rc 28g 6 and the Rc's are by far the best but I can't source them locally. 

Sorry im a year late but i have only just found this thread!

I have shot with a 16 bore for about 5 years now and most of my shooting is game. I only ever use the RC 28g 6shot cartridges. I find they are faster than any other cartridge i try and kill really well even at long ranged birds! 

Farmboy91 i see your from Suffolk, i don't know where abouts you are but there is a shop in Halstead, which is just in Essex near Colchester and Sudbury. Its called The Causeway and they stock or can get in 16 bore RC's for you, just give them a ring to see if they have them in stock or they can get them in pretty quick if not! The guy is called Graham who deals with the shooting side of the shop!

Hope this helps!

On 02/10/2019 at 10:15, Chapter said:

Sorry im a year late but i have only just found this thread!

I have shot with a 16 bore for about 5 years now and most of my shooting is game. I only ever use the RC 28g 6shot cartridges. I find they are faster than any other cartridge i try and kill really well even at long ranged birds! 

Farmboy91 i see your from Suffolk, i don't know where abouts you are but there is a shop in Halstead, which is just in Essex near Colchester and Sudbury. Its called The Causeway and they stock or can get in 16 bore RC's for you, just give them a ring to see if they have them in stock or they can get them in pretty quick if not! The guy is called Graham who deals with the shooting side of the shop!

Hope this helps!

Hi thanks for the reply, I ended up parting with my 16 at the start of the year, I haven't ruled out having another though. 

I did stop in the causeway about 2 weeks ago, seemed a good little shop. Thanks for the heads up anyway though 👍

I have a 16, it's pretty light weight. William Ford.

I found 30g 6s gamebore regals give me quite a thump. Found eley 28g 7s better. Very little choice down here in Cornwall. 

I have recently discovered a supplier of Hull high pheasants In 28g or 26g 6s.

They also sell the hull three crowns but only with plastic wads. 

The search for a felt wad paper cartridge goes on..... certainly in Cornwall.

I have both Eley and Lylevale and both do the job if I do. Just standard shells as my 16 gauge is a tad over 100yrs old.  Things seem to still fall out of the sky.

I have shot the Hull High Pheasant in 410s and was impressed and I am told they now do them in 7s as well as in 6s.  I would expect the 16s to be the same performance.

I used Rottweil Special 16F in 6's (english 5.5) & 7's (english 6.5) last season, they are bloody brilliant! Stopped in at Just Cartridges and picked up another slab of 6's this week. Not cheap at £95 a slab but they are fast and very smooth also, tick all the boxes for me

• 2 weeks later...

I can not recommend Special 16's enough... 27 gram of 6's (english 5.5). They are without any question of a doubt the best 16 gauge cartridge I have ever shot and I have always shot a 16 and have shot pretty much all of the commercially available loads over the last 20 years + loads of older cartridges from before I was even born... just cartridges stock them so they are available for anyone to buy. I shot this week in Somerset and chucked some 10 year old Alphamax 5's and 40 year old Hymax 4's s in on the last drive, even these didn't compare! 

My only slight issue is they don't eject well out of my Browning but saying that, no high brass cartridges do...

3 hours ago, busbiter said:

I can not recommend Special 16's enough... 27 gram of 6's (english 5.5). They are without any question of a doubt the best 16 gauge cartridge I have ever shot and I have always shot a 16 and have shot pretty much all of the commercially available loads over the last 20 years + loads of older cartridges from before I was even born... just cartridges stock them so they are available for anyone to buy. I shot this week in Somerset and chucked some 10 year old Alphamax 5's and 40 year old Hymax 4's s in on the last drive, even these didn't compare! 

My only slight issue is they don't eject well out of my Browning but saying that, no high brass cartridges do...

They sound good, thank you for the tip, will give them a whirl..

Guest cookoff013
On 04/10/2019 at 21:52, Zimtrout said:

I have a 16, it's pretty light weight. William Ford.

I found 30g 6s gamebore regals give me quite a thump. Found eley 28g 7s better. Very little choice down here in Cornwall. 

I have recently discovered a supplier of Hull high pheasants In 28g or 26g 6s.

They also sell the hull three crowns but only with plastic wads. 

The search for a felt wad paper cartridge goes on..... certainly in Cornwall.

Make them

Guest cookoff013

Yeah, always available in the right shotsizes too. Fibre wads and minimal recoil. Would make 16ga real option for exellent english game. Forget 1500000000fps loads. 1100-1200 easily achieved