Online abuse of those involved in field sports

tomov

There's fairly regular chat on here about individuals and businesses being targeted by those who don't like fieldsports.

Here's a chance to do something about it Thunderclap: Online abuse must stop NOW

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hunting supporters, like many others, are regularly subjected to online abuse and bullying. Please help us to make a stand against this behaviour by joining our thunderclap and sharing this post.

Online abuse must stop NOW – Join our Thunderclap to take a stand against online abuse and bullying, and remember to #reportonlineabuse.

With the growth of social media over the past few years there has been an increase in threatening and abusive behaviour towards those involved in lawful activities.

From farmers to country sports participants, this unacceptable abuse online must stop. Everyone has disagreements, and we support robust debate and freedom of speech, but the line has been crossed too many times, and nobody should be subjected to violence or intimidation online.

We are calling on social media platforms to take these threats seriously and to take action by standing up to those who incite hatred and violence.

Done, and have Tweeted link.

Just as a little incentive to all; read this in the comments section of a blog yesterday:

"The field sports channel is utterly vile. If the general public all watched it for a few hours I bet most would realise they are watching a pretty sick, deluded bunch of tossers not dealing with their inadequacies as human beings. What a parade of the sad and friendless you see on it. Sums up what a large proportion of the shooting fraternity really are".

I'm personally not convinced that it's 'PC rubbish' but each to their own.

I can't see why it's acceptable for those who take part in legal fieldsports and those businesses who support them to be marginalised and abused in such a way. Even a cursory look around social media will find comments like that posted by Racing Snake above and far worse.

If we want fieldsports to prosper and attract new participants, surely it's only fair that they are portrayed in a (vaguely!) correct light.

I can't see why it's acceptable for those who take part in legal fieldsports and those businesses who support them to be marginalised and abused in such a way. Even a cursory look around social media will find comments like that posted by Racing Snake above and far worse.

If we want fieldsports to prosper and attract new participants, surely it's only fair that they are portrayed in a (vaguely!) correct light.

Each of us must stand up for our sport but that's one of the reasons I support BASC.

You don't have to go past this forum,lol, I once and only once posted a picture ( dead animals) on a forum.That was this forum ! I posted a head shot rabbit with a FAC BSA super ten.Reason was to show the impact during a post about FAC air capabilities.One chap clearly knew what he was talking about and the other never had a scooby ( probably like a lot on here lately never shot/doesn't shoot).The abuse I got was to the point where it made me remove the picture and have never posted one since.

Might be a good ideas to stop any none FAC/SGC holders from joining this forum.Maybe to get approved you need to send a mod a photo copy of your Cert. Probably shooting myself in the foot here as I surrendered my FAC/SGC lol. But if it means that shooters are conversing with shooters and not trolls or antics or political activist (bloody brexit moaners) then it's a good thing.

Some posters on here are constantly arguing over politics and boring stuff and I don't know when they have the time to shoot to be honest (probably don't)

Edited by Davyo

You don't have to go past this forum,lol, I once and only once posted a picture ( dead animals) on a forum.That was this forum ! I posted a head shot rabbit with a FAC BSA super ten.Reason was to show the impact during a post about FAC air capabilities.One chap clearly knew what he was talking about and the other never had a scooby ( probably like a lot on here lately never shot/doesn't shoot).The abuse I got was to the point where it made me remove the picture and have never posted one since.

Might be a good ideas to stop any none FAC/SGC holders from joining this forum.Maybe to get approved you need to send a mod a photo copy of your Cert. Probably shooting myself in the foot here as I surrendered my FAC/SGC lol. But if it means that shooters are conversing with shooters and not trolls or antics or political activist (bloody brexit moaners) then it's a good thing.

Some posters on here are constantly arguing over politics and boring stuff and I don't know when they have the time to shoot to be honest (probably don't)

I know where you're coming from, I can't remember which shooting site it was but someone was offering a day on the hares and all he got from other shooters was abuse for shooting hares.

I am perfectly capable of standing up for myself regarding abuse of any kind, and always have done. This is something we should have been doing enmasse 20 years ago; it's too little too late now.

I couldn't give a fig what those who oppose us think of me or what I do, nor what they call me, for as long as I'm killing things for my own enjoyment, nothing I ever do will ever placate them. I'm not prepared to stop doing what I do simply because they regard it as wrong.

Killing for enjoyment is no longer PC in the eyes of many; making the abuse of those who participate in it against the law is attempting to rank it alongside racial abuse in my opinion.

As far as I'm aware it isn't acceptable for those who take part in fieldsports etc to be abused and marginalised. Isn't it already an offence to generate abuse and hatred of an individual or minority group? What someone who doesn't know me thinks of me, matters little to me, and is only their opinion. I'm a big boy now.

The Countryside Alliance is running a campaign to raise awareness of online abuse and threatening behaviour towards those undertaking legal activities (i.e those involved with hunting, shooting and the badger cull). The aim is to get social media bosses to take these threats seriously and act on the people issuing them.

You can sign up to the campaign here.

http://www.countryside-alliance.org/online-abuse-rural-communities-must-stop-join-thunderclap/

Done, and have Tweeted link.

Just as a little incentive to all; read this in the comments section of a blog yesterday:

"The field sports channel is utterly vile. If the general public all watched it for a few hours I bet most would realise they are watching a pretty sick, deluded bunch of tossers not dealing with their inadequacies as human beings. What a parade of the sad and friendless you see on it. Sums up what a large proportion of the shooting fraternity really are".

I am shocked at the comments that people post on social media. I wonder if they would have the same total disregard of manners and make the same ignorant comments to somebodies face.

I am glad to say that I am a well adjusted human and feel more then adequate, sad-no...friendless..maybe but that has nothing to do with my shooting.

Rant over.