Old trusty lines.

aga man

Pigeon shooting has been just as frustrating for me as it has for everyone else lately. I spent an afternoon with JDog last week and observed a good few hundred on drillings that would not play ball. On Friday my mate tan invited me to shoot on some drillings which he had a good day on previously, despite plenty of birds still there they moved off and never returned on my arrival.

I starting to feel like the jinx.

From the moment it was ploughed and earmarked for spring drilling i knew a field on my best permission would produce a bag simply because of it's location and the pigeon traffic in that area.

I had really hoped to take JDog with me on here as i feel i owe him day as he has been very good to me lately and taken me to some lovely spots on his land over the Humber.

Due to the weather and bad timing the field was drilled only a day or two before JDog was to head back to the Cotswolds for a break.

Despite there being a lot of seed on the surface, it has taken almost a week for the pigeons to find the offerings and since Saturday afternoon the numbers have slowly built.

The field is only around 7 acres and a hundred or so pigeons and also the corvids which have been there since day 1 will soon clean up the seed so i had to make sure the timing of shooting the field was right.

With a decent breeze and plenty of birds moving today seemed like a good one.

After my work was done i was at the field by 1pm along with my partner in crime tan.

We set up two hides 40m apart along the far hedge with the breeze at our backs. The hides had to be set up in the bottom of a ditch which was not ideal as wet mud lined the ditch bottom.

Because of the 150 yd walk to set up we chose not to take a magnet and set out around 8 dead pigeons each and 3 dead rooks.

Tan had is flapper but i decided we didn't need any movement other than a bouncer. From the off the corvids decoyed a treat proving our hides were good enough. The pigeons though was reluctant to decoy despite tinkering with the pattern. We shot some good high driven birds and built up the pattern.

As the decoy patttern grew the pigeons started to decoy better although some would simply not come in no matter what we tried.

We both shot some lovely birds and miised some real sitters, after around 40 birds the action dried up but then as return lines fired up we had a burst of decyoing action now having around 70 dead pigeon out.

The corvids still came in but we decided to concentrate on the pigeons.

As we got to 80 on the clicker at 4.30pm i said it would be nice to make the ton. Luckily for us the pigeons continued to come and as we called it a day at 6pm with 103 on the clicker the pigeons still came but we felt it was time to pack up and think about getting the birds off the field.

We rang the farmer and he told us to come and get his Kawasaki mule to collect the bag. Bonus!

We ended the afternoon with 103 Woodpigeons 15 mixed corvids and 1 manky feral.

I am away caravanning at the end of the week so this was a real bonus for me and the first ton of the year!

JDog i still owe you a good day pal & i won't forget.

Thanks for reading.

The hide was a muddy mess which made shooting tricky at times.

post-57269-0-28402500-1491253721_thumb.jpg

A great day that will itch my pigeon shooting scratch

for a while!

post-57269-0-10051600-1491255251_thumb.jpg

Edited by aga man

Thanks matey i intend to, ready for a break :good:

Not sure why the pictures came out so bad, here's a better one or maybe worse!

I bet you are! And like you say getting a good day under your belt you can enjoy it all the more, beautiful presentation by the way!

well done fella's

its surprising how hard a days decent decoying can be.

spare a thought for old fuddster, drove 60 miles to Yorkshire Game who kindly gave 5p per frozen WP-then onto a pals in Swaledale for a shot on a recently drilled bean field.

two hours with binos and nothing flying.

Quick return down A1 to local stomping grounds-checked beans and spring barley-nothing,zilch,zero.

130 miles for zero.

return home for early evening SATS tests papers for No1 child-if tangent Y is 52 degrees- what is the colour of Bobs boat?

hey hoo there's always tomorrow-as work begins again on Thursday.

f.

Edited by Fuddster

Well done on your first ton+ this year aga man , lets hope its the first of many , we have got pigeons but with early budding and huge amounts of drilling all being done at the same time we have to be content with small bags for the time being .

Good luck on your break and I hope the weather is how you want it .