Nice fields on my doorstep

Mightymariner

I empathise with many PW members who travel miles for their shooting - I often cover some distances to find some pigeons. However, yesterday I enjoyed a productive afternoon about a mile from my home.

I haven't been pigeon shooting for many weeks, even turning down JDog's invitation, because of work.

Anyway, this week I had the time, and luckily spring drilling is in full swing on the Wolds, so I was confident of something good.

A text from the farm manager provided the destination, three fields on beans just drilled, not rolled.

I checked it out on Sunday afternoon, and it looked good. The larger field was most hopeful, lots of pigeons working the edges. Drawback, the field is close to a golf course, riding centre and holiday cabins.....and is bordered by a busy road. No matter, I was confident I could shoot it safely, but it would mean a long walk to the spot.

Yesterday, I again watched and prevaricated on the best spot, doubting my initial thoughts as pigeon whirled around a couple of different areas. After having a quiet word with myself. I trusted my earlier judgement and went for the long walk to a nice stand of Scots pines along which the pigeons were flighting.

An easy set up, I didn't wait long for the first bird, high over me and crashing down in the trees behind. Another followed, and a couple more. Flighting more than decoying but still coming close for a look at the decoys.

Things went quiet, I received a text from a farmer friend "just drilled a large block, hundreds on it". That tested my resolve.

I stuck it out and things improved, birds decoyed, birds flighted. I shot OKish.

Best action was between 4-5.30pm.

I picked every bird I shot, not one lost.

31 in the bag, a nice afternoon to be out, the weather was kind, conditions good and the birds cooperated.

A long walk to the car had to be done twice to carry the birds, pictured here in the back of the Land Rover.

post-25219-0-62633600-1491322130_thumb.jpg