Tail amputation

flippermaj

As I live in Scotland I have to deal with the SNPs left wing anti field sports politics and policies one of which was the banning of tail docking full stop.

The end result is that my current cocker spaniel (18 mths old) has a damaged tail tip that the vet has looked at twice now and is not hopeful of fixing so they have suggested that the next step would be amputation ie the docking of a grown dog.

Has anyone had any experience of this? How long does it take the dog to recover?

My dads springer has also suffered the same issue but seems to be recovering.

What a useless rubbish law put together by people who know nothing about dogs or the suffering the cocker and springer are now going through.

Rant over!

Cheers

Mark

Know of a few folk that have had it done, dogs recover fine.

Nows the ideal time to get it done so load sof time to heal before the season starts.

If i was u i'd just get it booked in now rather than wait till it happens again and then ur dogs off during the season.

There is a very good chance it will happen again if its happened twice in its 1st season.

Is the docking not being reversed about June time?

The docking ban will be lifted in Scotland thankfully but it will be nearer the middle of this year before all boxes have been ticked.

As regards your dog, the amputation is not a major issue but make sure, however painful it might seem to you, that the dog gets cage rest until healing is well underway and no opporuntity for further infection. A friend of mine ignored this advice and a tail with half off became another operation, a small stump of a tail and something of a last chance as any further infection was going into the dog's spine. He also got a £2k vet bill for two operations and two weeks of hospitalised dog following the second op.

Just gone through this with my springer. Nightmare!!! they took about 6 inches off but neglected to give him anti biotics and it festered. Then it was shortened again

( with antibioticsa) and all went well.

Take care of the dog after it is done. No running or jumping, keep him quiet and all should go well. take about a fortnight to sort out.

I have had three dogs done in total. Only one with a problem and that I believe was due to no antibiotics.

best of luck